Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

AQA A2 Biol4 January 2012 pre- exam discussion

Announcements Posted on
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanaindaclub)
    **** that funagoo question. Spent 10 minutes going:confused:
    Exactly :|
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanaindaclub)
    **** that funagoo question. Spent 10 minutes going:confused:
    Any chance of uploading the material on here or pm'ing it ? thanks!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Did the Jan '11 paper today as a mock. Didn't do very well I think.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    might do some work for this tonight.....got a mock tomorrow :yawn:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone find the 2011 June paper?!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beckswilkinson)
    Can anyone find the 2011 June paper?!
    I think only teachers can access that. Someone could have it though.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I took both my Unit 1 & 2 exams in June due to illness and I just completely failed on both of them. On every other exam I took in June I got an A and I have had a look at my paper and the mark scheme and my exam technique is just not at all what they're asking for. Has anyone else overcome problems with their exam techniques? I don't want to do the past papers too many times because once you've done a paper one and gone through the mark scheme any future attempts are obviously not going to be accurate of your knowledge.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffKayy)
    http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf...4-W-SQP-07.PDF
    Can someone help me with 6? Why is the percentage of the black lady birds 51%? I did it and got 42%
    I got the red lady birds answer right though.

I assumed the black lady birds had heterozygous alleles, etc... so I did 0.7*0.3(*2)
    The 2 equations you need to know are :

1. p + q = 1

2. p^2 + q^2 + 2pq = 1

p or B (dominant allele frequency ) = 1 - 0.7 = 0.3 (rearranged equation p + q = 1)
    q or b (recessive allele frequency) = 0.7 this is give in the data
    p^2 or B^2 (homozygous dominant Black) = 0.3^2 = 0.09
    q^2 or b^2 (homozygous recessive Red) = 0.7^2 = 0.49
    2pq or 2Bb (heterozygous, it is 2pq because you can have pq or qp Black) = 2 x 0.3 x 0.7 = 0.42

Just to check everything is right

Substitute numbers into equations:

1. 0.3 + 0.7 = 1

2. 0.09 + 0.49 + 0.42 = 1

Black ladybirds can have genotype B^2 or 2Bb (because B is the dominant allele) which 0.09 and 0.42 = 0.51

Red ladybirds can only have genotype bb as they have to be homozygous recessive which is 0.49

Then you just times it by a 100 to go from decimals to percentages

So 0.51 x 100 = 51% black ladybirds.
    and 0.49 x 100 = 49% red ladybirds.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apa)
    I took both my Unit 1 & 2 exams in June due to illness and I just completely failed on both of them. On every other exam I took in June I got an A and I have had a look at my paper and the mark scheme and my exam technique is just not at all what they're asking for. Has anyone else overcome problems with their exam techniques? I don't want to do the past papers too many times because once you've done a paper one and gone through the mark scheme any future attempts are obviously not going to be accurate of your knowledge.
    Yeah the AQA biology has a very awkward mark scheme, I suppose we just have to practice, I did the June 2011 exam paper as a mock and got 46/75 which is terrible because of poor exam technique, it is so annoying as you know the answer but because you haven't phrased the answer in the way they like you don't get the mark.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Besakt)
    Yeah the AQA biology has a very awkward mark scheme, I suppose we just have to practice, I did the June 2011 exam paper as a mock and got 46/75 which is terrible because of poor exam technique, it is so annoying as you know the answer but because you haven't phrased the answer in the way they like you don't get the mark.
    Exactly! It's so frustrating. I've had rejections from Leicester AND Sheffield because their mark scheme is just so rubbish I can't get the one particular word/phrase their looking for when I I know the content so well I could teach the entire class the syllabus from memory and everything would be 100% clear and correct, but no. The annoying thing is my college swapped from OCR to AQA the year I was supposed to start A Levels and the only reason I have to now do AQA is because I had to leave because of illness

I hate AQA.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's true that AQA questions tend to be vague and not direct to the point of what they're actually asking for. Just make sure you state the obvious - this is one thing that a lot of people don't do.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apa)
    Exactly! It's so frustrating. I've had rejections from Leicester AND Sheffield because their mark scheme is just so rubbish I can't get the one particular word/phrase their looking for when I I know the content so well I could teach the entire class the syllabus from memory and everything would be 100% clear and correct, but no. The annoying thing is my college swapped from OCR to AQA the year I was supposed to start A Levels and the only reason I have to now do AQA is because I had to leave because of illness

I hate AQA.
    One of the questions in the June 2011 paper I answered word for word from the textbook which I've now pretty much memorised and still got it wrong. Don't even get me started on "how science work" questions.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NutterFrutter)
    It's true that AQA questions tend to be vague and not direct to the point of what they're actually asking for. Just make sure you state the obvious - this is one thing that a lot of people don't do.
    The questions they ask are so vague yet the answers they want are so specific. :confused:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The questions they ask are so vague yet the answers they want are so specific. :confused:
    It's AQA, it's to be expected. I hate the HSW questions. :yep:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    One of the questions in the June 2011 paper I answered word for word from the textbook which I've now pretty much memorised and still got it wrong. Don't even get me started on "how science work" questions.
    Do you have the June 2011 paper on your computer?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you have the June 2011 paper on your computer?
    No but I will probably have the paper copy on monday. Why?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    No but I will probably have the paper copy on monday. Why?
    Was wondering if you could upload it. Doesn't matter.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Was wondering if you could upload it. Doesn't matter.
    :lol: Got a mock exam coming up?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    :lol: Got a mock exam coming up?
    Not until after the Christmas break.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not until after the Christmas break.
    I wouldn't want to rob you of the satisfaction of revising awkward AQA biology mark schemes.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 12, 2013
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.