The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biol4 January 2012 pre- exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by AmbitiousMedic
Using quadrats as a method of random sampling involves 3 main stages:

1) Using two tape measures as axis, lay them out along the two sides of the area you wish to study

2) Obtain a series of numbers to use as co-ordinates from a random source for example, computer generated

3) Place the quadrat at the intersection of each pair of co-ordinates and record the species within it i.e count the number of organisms if this is what you are recording

Systematic sampling along transects is a way to measure the abundance and distribution of species in a systematic way as opposed to a random manner. This is useful when the there is a transition amongst the communities of plants and/or animals you are studying. In this method using either a line transect or belt transect you can record the species that come into contact with the line above it, made from a string or tape. Transects are described as systematic because as like the quadrat sampling you're not generating any random number to be used as co-ordinates or anything, you are simply using a line/tape which is simply stretched across the ground and so are recording systematically if that makes sense?

This is my understanding of it anyway, I hope it's cleared things up for you :smile:

Like this explanation, but I thought that you can't do transects for plants... there's no transition? :s-smilie:
Got my mock result back today and was absolutely dreading it, I did no revision whatsoever because i've had lots of interviews and things going on. Got a B and was well happy until I looked back through it and realised I got half the marks on practically all the questions :tongue:
Reply 122
Original post by AmbitiousMedic
Using quadrats as a method of random sampling involves 3 main stages:

1) Using two tape measures as axis, lay them out along the two sides of the area you wish to study

2) Obtain a series of numbers to use as co-ordinates from a random source for example, computer generated

3) Place the quadrat at the intersection of each pair of co-ordinates and record the species within it i.e count the number of organisms if this is what you are recording

Systematic sampling along transects is a way to measure the abundance and distribution of species in a systematic way as opposed to a random manner. This is useful when the there is a transition amongst the communities of plants and/or animals you are studying. In this method using either a line transect or belt transect you can record the species that come into contact with the line above it, made from a string or tape. Transects are described as systematic because as like the quadrat sampling you're not generating any random number to be used as co-ordinates or anything, you are simply using a line/tape which is simply stretched across the ground and so are recording systematically if that makes sense?

This is my understanding of it anyway, I hope it's cleared things up for you :smile:

yeh cheers man, that really helps, i didnt know systematic was because it wasnt a random numnber generator used. thanks again.
Reply 123
Original post by EffKayy
Like this explanation, but I thought that you can't do transects for plants... there's no transition? :s-smilie:

you use the transect to show how the plants are distributed across the area your invesigating :smile: so the transition would be like from a road to the middle of a field so along the transect the distribution would chnage as theywouldnt survive on the road, then as you get to the hedgrow the species diversity would increase.
Reply 124
Done a mock and got an E need to revise :tongue:
Reply 125
need to go over content one more time quickly then do papers, I hope the paper isn't wierd....
Original post by Sam-8
yeh cheers man, that really helps, i didnt know systematic was because it wasnt a random numnber generator used. thanks again.

No worries :biggrin: Anything else let me know.. it helps me revise that way too :tongue:
Do we need to know the statistical tests or not?
Reply 128
Original post by SpringNicht

Erm, no not really. But I have seen papers asking for null hypotheses and asking you to interpret what the data shows e.g '+0.87' - which is correlations in general
Original post by SpringNicht

You need to know how to use them and how to interpret them, but you don't actually need to be able to work them out - that bit's assessed in the ISA/EMPA.
Original post by Rahul.S
need to go over content one more time quickly then do papers, I hope the paper isn't wierd....

You better pray hard boii!
Not tryna scare you but I'm a resit student and biol4 is known to be the most ****ed pape of them all. Just learn the mark schemes....that's my best advice. :smile:
Reply 131
Original post by Master.K
You better pray hard boii!
Not tryna scare you but I'm a resit student and biol4 is known to be the most ****ed pape of them all. Just learn the mark schemes....that's my best advice. :smile:

loooool its just AQA....any other board and Biology would be getting smmmmmashed! =) the other boards play with my skills whereas AQA is dumb common sense stuff -_-

you a medicine applicant? :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Rahul.S
loooool its just AQA....any other board and Biology would be getting smmmmmashed! =) the other boards play with my skills whereas AQA is dumb common sense stuff -_-

you a medicine applicant? :tongue:

Was a med applicant, now I'm an optom applicant! :biggrin:
Reply 133
Original post by Master.K
Was a med applicant, now I'm an optom applicant! :biggrin:

kool :cool:
So hard to find anything decent to use for revision!
Original post by A for Andromeda
So hard to find anything decent to use for revision!

Textbook(s), notes, past papers, mark schemes. Done.
Reply 136
Original post by barzy_j
Systematic sampling itself is the use of belt or line transects. It is used when there is a transition/change of some sort in an environment. For example, if you want to measure the abundance of species from a high tide mark to a low tide mark.

So why use systematic sampling?

To establish zonation patterns.

Lol
Reply 137
Original post by barzy_j
Lol?

Woops i meant to say 'lol thanks'. Looks familiar -Cgp? Ok
does anyone know any tips to approaching application questions
i do OCR, but AQA has lots of 'strecth and challenge' questions
please help!
Reply 139
Hate this topic, past papers seem to be a bit of a bitch but even the latest paper was on 57 out of 75 for an A* which will hopefully be achievable

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending