The Student Room Group

£9000 Tuition fees question

Hey guys,

I just wanted to know whether you would still have to pay back the student loan if you were to move out of the UK / EU after completing your degree - would the government ask your employer to take out the 9% over the £21000 threshold?

Thanks for any replies, appreciate it a lot :smile:
Lol, clever idea. I have no answer, replying to subscribe :smile:
Reply 2
you are required to inform them and set up a payment schedule.
Failure to do this will lead to draconian interest rates and payment of the loan in full on demand if you ever return.
It is all in the contract you sign with the SLC.
Reply 3
Original post by denislaw
you are required to inform them and set up a payment schedule.
Failure to do this will lead to draconian interest rates and payment of the loan in full on demand if you ever return.
It is all in the contract you sign with the SLC.

Thanks for the answer :smile:

Guess I can't really avoid paying back the student loan then :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by thegodofgod

Even if you did, it's only so much per month, so even though you are in debt, you'd still have some disposable income left for yourself. :smile:
Yeah i think you still have to
Reply 6
Many students move abroad and don't inform the SLC. Not really acceptable but many do it.
Reply 7
They'll get away with it if they don't intend to return.
If they do intend to return they're in big trouble.
Reply 8

you could move away forever and travel back for family gatherings through eurostar
Reply 9
and miss out on a UK pension, NHS care, etc..
Reply 10
Original post by jus2sik
you could move away forever and travel back for family gatherings through eurostar

But don't you have immigration (and passport checks) when you enter / exit the UK, even on the Eurostar?

What if the govt. has passed on my details to the immigration dept. - then I'm screwed :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by denislaw
and miss out on a UK pension, NHS care, etc..

But not have to pay a sh*tload of taxes in return, and with the pension age rising - so by the time I'll retire, I'll be like 75! UK pension schemes (or at least the govt. one) suck!
Reply 12
But don't you have immigration (and passport checks) when you enter / exit the UK, even on the Eurostar?

What if the govt. has passed on my details to the immigration dept. - then I'm screwed :tongue:

if you gain residency in another euro zone country then gain naturalisation from that country and use that as proof for when your travelling then i dont think they could track you
Reply 13
Original post by jus2sik
if you gain residency in another euro zone country then gain naturalisation from that country and use that as proof for when your travelling then i dont think they could track you

:awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending