The Student Room Group

What A Level French learning resources do you recommend?

I've not long started my French AS course and I'm really excited to get into it! Firstly I'd just like an insight to the course. Ill be honest its not my favourite lesson as I can feel somewhat pressured in the class especially when the tutor asks me to say something in French, but it's something Ill adapt to and will have to get used to.

I'm pretty sure the exam board is WJEC, does anyone have any recommendations for what text books I should buy or is there any other type of resource you used during your AS year?

Also I'd be interested in how you found the course and how difficult you found it etc.

I absolutely love the Letts Revise AS French book. It's old (for the previous specification), but I think the choice of vocabulary and grammar included is really relevant, so just make sure to check which topics you are studying.
BTW: I found AS really easy and sat the big listening, reading, writing exam four months early, getting 98% on it, but I started learning AS vocab two years early and had done all of the grammar on the syllabus before we did it in class! If you were fantastic at GCSE then this year will be easy, otherwise I'm sure if you stay on top of your work and don't move onto to new areas before having fully learnt the previous ones you will manage just fine.

I don't know if there is an essay component for WJEC, but most people find this the most difficult on our spec. If there is, practice makes perfect!
Reply 3
A beret, a stripey shirt, a string of onions and a packet of Gitanes.
I have done my as french with the exam board WJEC and the textbook we used was called Élan and it was pretty good
Reply 5
Original post by swiftmover19
I have done my as french with the exam board WJEC and the textbook we used was called Élan and it was pretty good

Same - Elan grammar workbook is very useful, as well as the general elan textbook. :smile:
Original post by Danatlive
I've not long started my French AS course and I'm really excited to get into it! Firstly I'd just like an insight to the course. Ill be honest its not my favourite lesson as I can feel somewhat pressured in the class especially when the tutor asks me to say something in French, but it's something Ill adapt to and will have to get used to.

I'm pretty sure the exam board is WJEC, does anyone have any recommendations for what text books I should buy or is there any other type of resource you used during your AS year?

Also I'd be interested in how you found the course and how difficult you found it etc.

I was on WJEC too. Use Interlex (type into google and download) to learn your vocab, it is invaluable! And to get vocab, read lots and lots (and I mean lots) of nwws articles linked to the subject matter, write down EVERY word you don't know, and learn it. This sounds like a lot of work, Ik now, but it is worth it :smile: Also, buy , if you can (they are cheap, and worth it) mot a mot, and Advanced French Vocabulary. As well as this, buy a good grammar book, and you will ace your exam! If you need any advice please PM me, I have just spent 2 months in France (and I study it at uni) so am basically fluent and am happy to help :smile: Paul x
Reply 7
The Coursework.info bot is working really fast nowadays

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending