The Student Room Group

Blacklist A levels!

Scroll to see replies

Snob

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Original post by Facebook
Don't do sociology, that looks blacklisted. Do maths instead. Uni's love mathematical subjects. Almost all of them want to see maths otherwise they won't take you seriously.

"English language" doesn't sound good. How about just the normal English?

I can't see anything wrong with economics that looks fine. Don't think that's blacklisted.

Instead of doing ICT (it's so boring and useless in terms of getting into uni) do computing science (you get to deal with programming, iphones, ps3's stuff like that - way cooler and a much more respected A Level).

I reccommend

Economics
Computing Science
Mathematics
English

I find it absurd that you are against any form of English when you fail to spell correctly.
English Language is difficult to do, and whilst it isn't as 'esteemed' as Literature, having any English A-level shows you can write, which can only be a good thing.
Stupid comment to say. How dare you class subjects other than your pathetic list as not being A levels. They are A levels in their own right. Just because you do what you call "real A levels" doesn't mean you are better than someone who hasnt picked these.

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Transcendence
Lol all these people saying go for sociology/psychology...

Do some real A levels:

-Maths
-Further Maths
-Additional Further Maths
-Physics
-Chemistry
-Computing

> I recommend the first 4.

Love, the OP wants A Levels, not reasons for suicide. :tongue:
Original post by ChloeBelle
Love, the OP wants A Levels, not reasons for suicide. :tongue:

I have no problem with them.
Original post by SophylaReserve
I find it absurd that you are against any form of English when you fail to spell correctly.
English Language is difficult to do, and whilst it isn't as 'esteemed' as Literature, having any English A-level shows you can write, which can only be a good thing.

So does your personal statement. GF.
The thing that I fail to understand is how Cambridge state Psychology A-level as being in category B but yet they offer Psychology as a degree? Interesting; regardless of what they say Psychology is Psychology. Although at Uni I do understand it would be undoubtedly harder it just doesn't match up for me.
Original post by BillyBongos
I'm taking Maths, Chemistry, and Physics, and I find Sociology tricky and just as important as any of the science subjects. On a few videos ...

1Why is it deemed perfectly okay for women to objectify David Beckham, while men who waggle their eyebrows at pretty young women are considered pigs?

2Blame the men for all women's insecurities!! :Why does the mere act of advocating for men and boys earn knee-jerk accusations of misogyny? Why the bad reaction when anyone dares to say, "What about the men?" Why is it okay to criticize men but not women? What are the underlying instincts at play in our perceptions of male and female? And why will it all be nearly impossible to change?

3Why are Men's Rights Agency's so angry? Why are they so extreme? Why all the harsh language? Do you all really have to ask?

4What is systemic gendered violence? How does society view it, and what evidence is there for its existence? Where do men fit into this? How does "women and children first" factor into how we view this social problem?

5Why is society so quick to assume the Men's Rights Agency is misogynistic and violent even when it isn't, while assuming feminism is benign and beneficial, even when it it's full of hate and sexism? A tale of how our instincts lie to us, and the objective truths we just can't bring ourselves to face...

6For all those men out there who are okay with their circumcisions (being single/married), please watch to hopefully understand why it really is an important issue, even if it's not the most important to you, and why I would ask you to stop wondering why it's such a big deal.

Yes.. It is clearly tricky and important... ...
I have no problem with them.

Then you're clearly extremely intelligent. As someone happy with Bs in Maths and Science, it would be a nightmare-turned-reality. I'm an English girl.
Original post by alexissocool
The thing that I fail to understand is how Cambridge state Psychology A-level as being in category B but yet they offer Psychology as a degree? Interesting; regardless of what they say Psychology is Psychology. Although at Uni I do understand it would be undoubtedly harder it just doesn't match up for me.

Perhaps they just want decent A levels?
Lol all these people saying go for sociology/psychology...

Do some real A levels:

-Maths
-Further Maths
-Additional Further Maths
-Physics
-Chemistry
-Computing

> I recommend the first 4.

Stupid comment to say. How dare you class subjects other than your pathetic list as not being A levels. They are A levels in their own right. Just because you do what you call "real A levels" doesn't mean you are better than someone who hasnt picked these.

Original post by ChloeBelle
Then you're clearly extremely intelligent. As someone happy with Bs in Maths and Science, it would be a nightmare-turned-reality. I'm an English girl.

But it would certainly be a challenge, and not subjects anybody could tell you were of lesser standard.

I also think it helps to push yourself: 'happy' with B's doesn't make it sound like you really need to try for it, therefore the subject is too easy. But unfortunately maths is required for the other two.
(edited 11 years ago)
Cut English Language and do Lit.
Economics is fine

Cut ICT at all costs

Sociology is acceptable.

You should do something else which matches which path you want to take. If its to do with Maths then obviously Maths or the Sciences. If you want to stick to writing, choose History.
Original post by SteveDawson

Could you do them? My point exactly.
Reply 54
ict has got to be the most pointless subject in schools, everyone knows how to use a computer these days, i hardly doubt universities care about ict
Could you do them? My point exactly.

I love how you seem to worry what other people say regarding whether A levels are considered hard or not nevermind it might be something that someone is interested in. And i never said I wouldn't be able to do those subjects I just dont want to focus on subjects that other people define as being hard because I don't give a **** what other people say. Its an achievement to be able to do A levels and nobody should be judged on their academic ability just because they didn't take those subjects.

Original post by smd4std
ict has got to be the most pointless subject in schools, everyone knows how to use a computer these days, i hardly doubt universities care about ict

Schools yes but it is a useful A level to have if you are focusing on doing ICT as a career

Perhaps they just want decent A levels?

That still doesn't answer my question. Psychology A-level is decent actually; having applied to do it at 5 Russell Group universities and accepted into all of them with Biology, Economics and Psychology. Just makes me laugh how Cambridge would prefer someone to have a good grade in a subject such as "History of Art" over Psychology when it's the area of study that they're headed for. That is all.
But it would certainly be a challenge, and not subjects anybody could tell you were of lesser standard.

I also think it helps to push yourself: 'happy' with B's doesn't make it sound like you really need to try for it, therefore the subject is too easy. But unfortunately maths is required for the other two.

Alright, then, I would be 'overjoyed' with Bs across the board. At my school, I'm classed as the elite. 90% of my year group won't attain 5 A* - C GCSEs. Therefore, everything is self-taught and I would be extremely proud of a load of B-grade results. That said, I come from teen pregnancy capital, so most people my age are busy celebrating positive pregnancy tests over good exam results.

I think people should do what they enjoy. I could do A-Level Maths. I just wouldn't enjoy it and wouldn't be motivated.
Original post by SteveDawson
I love how you seem to worry what other people say regarding whether A levels are considered hard or not nevermind it might be something that someone is interested in. And i never said I wouldn't be able to do those subjects I just dont want to focus on subjects that other people define as being hard because I don't give a **** what other people say. Its an achievement to be able to do A levels and nobody should be judged on their academic ability just because they didn't take those subjects.

I like a challenge, that is why I took them. Now I have taken them I can look down on people with lesser A levels... So I do.

Quick Reply

Latest