The Student Room Group

Struggling on choosing my 5 Uni's.

I'm predicted to get AAAa (Maths Physics, Chem and Further Maths AS), although the chances of me getting an A in Chem are slim. I have around 9 Uni's that look good for Maths, but I'm struggling to narrow them down to 5, so any insight into which has better reputation and/or facilities would be appreciated.

Birmingham - AAA-AAB
Lancaster - AAB
Leeds - AA(a)
Liverpool- ABB (Likely to be my insurance)
Manchester - AAB ( With ab in C3 and 4)
Newcastle - AAB
Nottingham - AAA
Sheffield - AAB
York - AAB
I don't know about reputation for your subject, but pretty much all your choices are very good universities. Have a look for your department online. :smile:

Just look on this website, or each university's website and look at the course content, whether you want to go to a big city (like Manchester) or a smaller city (like York) and see what the accommodation is like etc. What I did was go on Google Streetview and have a look around the university :tongue:. Personally, I loved Nottingham - they just don't do a course that I'm both interested in and able to get the grades for (I've heard it was voted best campus or something like that). Also... Go to open days! That's when you can see the facilities available or whether you like the uni :biggrin: If you're not sure on whether you can get an A in chemistry, then apply for 1 uni that wants AAA requirements :smile:

I'd choose Nottingham, Sheffield, York and I'm not sure on the others... being completly biased towards the cities and unis I like :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
I can say which one not to apply to, Nottingham if you don't think you'll get an A in Chem but don't take my word on it it all depends on results day they might even take you in if you get AAB.
Birmingham and Nottingham are both my last choices, personally I thought the Birmingham maths department looks really dull! Manchester and Lancaster are very good universities also, Manchester less so, but it was a solid maths department, great if you're looking for a research career. :smile:
Definitely Nottingham and Manchester, Liverpool is really good, personally I hated Lancaster, the campus was just one big block of concrete, but I dont know what it's like for maths. If you could put up with the Brummy accent then maybe but I haven't heard many good things about it. York s meant to be quite good, dont really know about the rest.

So;
Manchester
Nottingham
Liverpool
York
probably newcastle/sheffield
Reply 5
Their offers may have changed but despite Nottingham listing AAA-AAB as their typical offers I saw only AAB offers and I'm going there for maths in less than a week now. I was offered ABB/AAC because I was selfstudying a full FM A level but I expect you'll probably be offered AAB.

This is going to depend on what you want out of a university and your tactic(for example you may apply for 3 higher unis and 2 lower ones).

I would thoroughly recommend Nottingham and Manchester to start with. Bear in mind though they're very different universities. Manchester is very much a city uni whereas Nottingham isn't so much. Nottingham is on a campus with nothing but uni buildings, then surrounded by a residential area. The city being a short bus ride away. Birmingham, Sheffield and York are all very good maths unis and worth an application. Leeds seems to be a nice back up uni from what I recall of their 2011 offer. It has a decent rep too.

The rest weren't for me personally but thats your choice. You may want to consider Exeter, Southampton, East Anglia, Leicester, Loughborough, Royal Holloway, Surrey and Sussex. My personal favourites being Exeter and Southampton from that list
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks For all of the advice. I'm thinking Nottingham, Manchester/York, Lancaster, Leeds and Liverpool.
Reply 7
Original post by tom28

Original post by tom28
Thanks For all of the advice. I'm thinking Nottingham, Manchester/York, Lancaster, Leeds and Liverpool.

Good enough choices.

Quick Reply

Latest