The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
MadNatSci
I heard on the grapevine that New Hall just passed a motion at an open meeting to become mixed sex... Not that it means anything without the college getting involved but still, they'll probably lobby for a referendum now. Wonder if blissy can tell us any more?

edit: whoops, sorry for getting your name wrong before:biggrin:

We got an email today.. thought you might like to read it:

Also, the gender motion passed and it is now the opinion of New Hall JCR
that:

- New Hall is retarding rather than advancing the rights of women by
remaining single-sex

- In contrast to many other colleges, including Newnham, New Hall has always
had a forward-looking ethos, of which it is rightfully proud. This is,
however, now compromised by the fact that the college remains single-sex

- The doctrine that women will perform better academically in an all-female
environment as they may be intimidated by men is deeply patronising to
women, and unhelpful to the making of further progression towards gender
equality in society. This argument is also undermined by the fact that many
girls from New Hall have both lectures and supervisions with male students
anyway

- That, if New Hall were to become mixed, it would still be able to offer
adequate accommodation to those female students whose religion does not
permit them to live in close proximity to men by virtue of its locked
corridors in New Block.

Following the passing of this motion, another vote was taken mandating the
Vice President and myself to take this motion to college council on Monday
16th February, asking for permission to conduct a referendum of students to
get a better picture of student opinion.

Thank you for reading this far! I hope term is going well so far and that
week 5 blues don't set in!

Eleanor :smile:
blissy

- In contrast to many other colleges, including Newnham, New Hall has always
had a forward-looking ethos

Oooh, miaow :wink: Thank you for indulging me and my nosiness! How interesting... do you think it's a good thing?

Thank you for reading this far! I hope term is going well so far and that
week 5 blues don't set in!

Eleanor :smile:

The same for you! Halfway through the first year... scary, non?
Reply 82
Oh no!! THat was a message from our president - didn't spot it there. But still, the sentiment holds true.

<perhaps she should have just taken credit for the comment>
hehe :wink:
MadNatSci
Oooh, miaow :wink: Thank you for indulging me and my nosiness! How interesting... do you think it's a good thing?

The same for you! Halfway through the first year... scary, non?

It's referred to as 5th week blues lol, not week 5.
And to think, I've only got 1 more 5th week blue to go
J
Reply 84
Does it matter?
blissy
Does it matter?

Apparently yes. Perhaps it is something to do with the anal nature of Cambridge.
Reply 86
indeed - I'm just not Cambridgey enough :rolleyes:
blissy
indeed - I'm just not Cambridgey enough :rolleyes:

God help me when I arrive in Cambridge.....I shall be rusticated immediately.
Reply 88
blissy
Does it matter?

Only if you care about these things. I got 6½th week blues last term, and 3rd week this term. So far 5th looks to be alright :smile:

Mentally Ill - it doesn't matter really - you pick up important things and remember, all the other Freshers are just trying to make themselves fit in too. When I first heard someone in Freshers' week say "plodge" I laughed cos they were obviously trying to sound like they knew everything, but now everyone says it and it's natural. You'll find out.
Reply 89
I like the way people make an effort in the 5th week though. ALthough, I wish there was more feel-good stuff going on all the time.
blissy
I like the way people make an effort in the 5th week though. ALthough, I wish there was more feel-good stuff going on all the time.

Can't know good till you know bad
J
What does everyone think - Emmanuel or Clare for NatSci?
hitchhiker_13

P.S. I don't mean in terms of "prestige". I mean where do you think I'll have a better time, and a better education.
(I realise the difference will be practically infinitesimal)
I want to do physical natural sciences if that makes a difference.
hitchhiker_13

Emma
J
PS (for the peeps from clare who are gonna disagree very quickly) Got a formal with Clare Monsters lined up. They any good?
Reply 94
hitchhiker_13

Well, I'd say Clare, but I'm biased :biggrin:. Other people would be more likely to say Emma, but bear in mind it'll probably be harder to get into. They both will though really - they're two of the most popular colleges for applicants.

Edit: who the f*** are Clare Monsters?
Reply 95
Hey... I'm an international student and I'll be going to King's in October for SPS. From what I've read about the college on this forum, some people tend to think that it's a social hole because of its informality etc. I though King's would be a good match since I'm overseas and they have quite a number of us there. But now I have concerns about its social reputation within Cambridge. Does everyone think King's is a socially inept college or is this just an exaggeration? Thanks...
Reply 96
Omer
Hey... I'm an international student and I'll be going to King's in October for SPS. From what I've read about the college on this forum, some people tend to think that it's a social hole because of its informality etc. I though King's would be a good match since I'm overseas and they have quite a number of us there. But now I have concerns about its social reputation within Cambridge. Does everyone think King's is a socially inept college or is this just an exaggeration? Thanks...

Exaggeration, don't worry, Foolfarian is just (I think rightly) quite miffed they don't have a formal. To conclude from that the students are socially inept isn't necessary. The people from workaholic colleges are much more likely to be socially inept I'm sure.

Last time I went into Kings properly (last year now!) they seemed to have a nice chilled atmosphere in the bar, much more comfy to relax in than Clare, and their coffee shop place is cool. Wish Clare had a cool coffee shop!

Alaric.
Reply 97
hitchhiker_13

Clare, but then I wouldn't be at all biased!

Clare used to be better regarded for the Arts, then they changed the way they do things a few years ago and they've been improving in the sciences since. I really don't think it'll make that much difference. I prefer the location of Clare though.

What Clare don't tell you about though is the 2nd/3rd year accommodation in the Colony, it's really not that bad but it's not as nice as the first year accommodation that's intended for conference guests out of term. I don't know what Emma has for extra accommodation, some colleges will put you in college houses _miles_ away from anywhere. You'd want to avoid that!

Alaric.
Reply 98
Alaric

What Clare don't tell you about though is the 2nd/3rd year accommodation in the Colony, it's really not that bad but it's not as nice as the first year accommodation that's intended for conference guests out of term. I don't know what Emma has for extra accommodation, some colleges will put you in college houses _miles_ away from anywhere. You'd want to avoid that!

I've been in one 3rd year's room at Emma, it's on the main site and was amazingly nice - had its own little kitchen and everything! But I guess not everyone lives in ones like that - luck of the ballot.
Reply 99
Would anyone else care to contribute more rankings of the colleges' relative prestige? I'd really appreciate having a bigger sample.

Thank you to Alex_R and Foolfarian for taking the time to do so. Based on their responses, I have come up with the following list of colleges, ordered from greatest to least prestige.

The correlation coefficient was really quite high, r = 0.74, indicating substantial agreement between Alex_R's and Foolfarian's score.

So here is the list. Comments?

Trinity College
St John's College
Emmanuel College
Gonville and Caius College
Pembroke College
King's College
Trinity Hall
Clare College
Downing College
Sidney Sussex College
Christ's College