The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You would probably get a more honest and unbiased opinion in the Oxbridge forum :smile:
Reply 2
good idea :smile:
Reply 3
It's here:

http://thestudentroom.co.uk/f39.html

Do a good search before you post, I expect they've answered that question before :smile:
Reply 4
I doubt it makes much difference, on the whole you could say there's more demand for science now it seems year after year less people at younger levels are taking it up, sadly.
Reply 5
It's not easy to get in for those subjects (believe me, I've been through it lol)
Oxbridge are lucky in that they are oversubscribed in every area so it is not easier to get in I'm afraid.
like everyone else has said....the sciences at oxford are not easy to get into compared to other subjects....they get loads more applicants than places, and they are very competitive. At the college i applied to there was 29 Chemistry applicants for 8 places!! that was just this college! and its not as popular as others!
Reply 8
Well for Cambridge Natural Science it is around 1 in 3 http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/statistics/subjects.html#natsci which is a bit better then the often given average of 1 in 4 but not extraordinarily high.

IIRC most the sciences in Oxford had a similar percentage (although higher in Chemistry I think) so the odds seem a bit better for science but not massively significant.

Its not like Durham where 1 in 10 or something get in for history but 90% or so of Physics applicants are accepted
Reply 9
I think at the college I applied to (downing) there is usually around 100 applicants for 25 or so places for natural sciences each year, however the applicant to place ratio tells you nothing about the strength of the other applicants.
Yeah, 4:1 might not sound a lot, but every single other applicant will probably have AAA+.
Nothing compared to Law and Medicine though.
Reply 11
Don't underestimate it. I'm in a bad position as I know *many* oxbridge rejects and none that made it. These rejects are often highly motivated, intelligent etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending