The Student Room Group

National Geographic Magazine

Hi
I want to start reading a geographical magazine but I find that whenever I pick up the National Geographic magazine it's more amazing photography and adverts then much content!

Is there any better magazines to buy?

There's not really any single alternative to National Geographic with the same type of strictly geographical/ecological/sociological/scientific focus. What kind of content are you looking for? The Economist runs a lot of geopolitical pieces, New Scientist's remit often overlaps with National Geographic in terms of the physical world. Personally I've never found National Geographic to be lacking in content - there's usually at least three in-depth articles and half a dozen other features.

The best substitute for National Geographic, however, is travel.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
There's not really any single alternative to National Geographic with the same type of strictly geographical/ecological/sociological/scientific focus. What kind of content are you looking for? The Economist runs a lot of geopolitical pieces, New Scientist's remit often overlaps with National Geographic in terms of the physical world. Personally I've never found National Geographic to be lacking in content - there's usually at least three in-depth articles and half a dozen other features.

Okay guess I'll just have to get National Geographic - there's an offer on where you can get a 12 month subscription for £15!
Reply 3
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos

Careful. Just because you travel somewhere it doesn't make you an expert (or even give you much knowledge other than your personal experiences) in the place.

It's awful when someone comes back from some other country and then thinks that they know everything. I doubt that many articles in the National Geographic could simply be replaced by visiting the place they are discussing.

In terms of other publications - if you want to join either the Geographical Association (www.geography.org.uk) or the Royal Geographical Society (www.rgs.org) which are cheap (or free!) as a student to join then you can access their journals and online resources which are pretty good :smile:
Reply 4
There is also the Geographical magazine, which is quite similar to the national geographic in content, but is British so spells colour correctly/
Reply 5
Original post by oneperson
There is also the Geographical magazine, which is quite similar to the national geographic in content, but is British so spells colour correctly/

Thanks had never heard of this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending