The Student Room Group

NUS Extra card- worth it?

Do any current adopters us them regularly or whatever?
Reply 1
I got one last year and I hardly ever used it. Your normal student card will cover you for discount in most shops so there's not really much point. I got a 5% Amazon discount, but it was added before P&P and was always pennies and I never shop on ASOS so that discount wasn't much use to me. I'm not get another one this year, I don't think it's worth it.
I use mine all the time and they are so worth the money! (£11) You can use them in alsorts of places;

5% discount on Amazon & Play.com
10% (sometimes 20%) discount at New Look, Dorothy Perkins, Peacocks
Free stuff at McDonalds
Discounts at Domino's & Pizza Hut
40% Alton Towers tickets
11% of price of 16-25 Railcard

They are so worth it & easily pay for themselves
Reply 3
To be honest I'd only bother with it if you buy stuff online where you have to put in an NUS number. At my college with our student ID's we can get discounts in every store that offer it. It's only if you buy online a lot that it's essential, as you can probably use a student ID card in a shop.
Reply 4
It depends on how good your uni card is, I have to get an NUS card since my uni card isn't accepted as it looks cheap and has no date. For the price you get a fair amount of savings and obviously it has the bonus of being able to be used online... I've used it to reduce my train home prices, buying christmas pressues everything really :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Joanna-Marie :)

11% of price of 16-25 Railcard

Poo. I bought the railcard first...
Reply 6
Personally I used mine all the time last year, just sent off for a new one now, well worth it imo!
I got £5 discount in a stationary shop yesterday. I did spend £50, though.

You normally get 10% discount. A lot of high street stores will accept them, so it depends where you do your shopping.

They only last until september, though, so it might be worth waiting to get one. If you get one this september it will last til next september, but now you'd only get 4 months.
Reply 8
Ive just used mine to buy my car insurance through Endsleigh, knocked a good £60 odd off :smile:

I use it all the time, useful for online shopping aswell as instore, plus theyre always adding new shops :biggrin:
YES,definitely worth it!

Quick Reply

Latest