The Student Room Group

Male primary experience tie or no tie?

I am going to be going in to a school tomorrow to start my 10 days of experience before applying for a primary PGCE. I have read numerous threads of what male teachers are expected to wear, some say that males should wear ties, others say they shouldn't.

I don't want to make myself centre of attention but to take a back seat but i also was respect from the teachers and pupils. Would it be right to wear trousers, black shoes that aren't trainers, a shirt under a jumper and a tie to just observe the teachers?

What have other males worn on their 10 days of experience in primary schools?
Reply 1
My secondary school teachers have dared to wear garish cardigans and skinny ties, on that basis as long as it's smart/casual it should be fine.
Tie on first day. You can always take it off, but you can't put it on if you don't have it. Always dress for the level above the job you want.
Indeed, take it and you can always take it off. I usually teach without a tie, but do wear them from time to time.
Reply 4
Original post by 'Will'

What have other males worn on their 10 days of experience in primary schools?

I did something known as the 'Students Associates Scheme' in which i spent 15 days working in a school from KS1 to KS2.

I wore a smart shirt and tie with pants and shoes. When i was at my placement i noticed some of the male staff dressed a hell of a lot more casual than myself but for profesional reasons i recommend going smartly. If they think your too smart im sure they will just inform you to dress a little more casual.

Good luck :smile:

regards,

James
Reply 5
Emulate what the other teachers are wearing, but it's generally better to be over-dressed than under-dressed.
Reply 6
I'm in the middle of a 3 week placement at a primary school and wear a shirt and tie under a nice jumper. There are 3 other male teacher there, 1 who dresses very formally and the other two who just wear a shirt. I'd definitely recommend wearing shirt and tie. It makes you look a lot more professional and I think consequently you'll find you receive more respect from pupils instead of them just seeing you as a casual new guy.
Original post by Green Giant
I'm in the middle of a 3 week placement at a primary school and wear a shirt and tie under a nice jumper. There are 3 other male teacher there, 1 who dresses very formally and the other two who just wear a shirt. I'd definitely recommend wearing shirt and tie. It makes you look a lot more professional and I think consequently you'll find you receive more respect from pupils instead of them just seeing you as a casual new guy.

Indeed so. When you're just starting out in teaching, you need all the help you can get when it comes to getting kids' respect and wearing a tie is a very easy way to look the part.
take a tie, you can always take it off if no one else has one.
Reply 9
I would take a tie, its better to over do it that under do it. See what everyone else does on the first day.
Reply 10
Everyone else has already said it - even though some teachers may look very casual, they'll be those who've been there a while and can get away with it; so you need to dress smart to "look the part".

I also find that dressing smart gives you a good excuse for pulling the kids up on their uniform (particularly in secondary anyway)...if I'm standing there with no tie on, why should they have to wear a tie? My tie is done properly and my top button is done up, so I expect theirs to be too; they find it hard to argue with that! :smile:
Tie, unless you're doing something messy, in which case tuck it in. Don't dangle it in your dinner.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending