The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

University of Kent Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

For the Kent open day.....r we allowed to bring our parents....i mean when i went to book a day it said that i'm ony allowed to take one guest with me...can't i take 2???
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by ********
For the Kent open day.....r we allowed to bring our parents....i mean when i went to book a day it said that i'm ony allowed to take one guest with me...can't i take 2???

I took two people with me when I went...I think they just do that to try and keep the numbers don't but it won't be a problem :smile:
I've been invited to an interview in a few weeks for Politics and International Relations. I would love to go, but getting from Belfast to Canterbury via flight and then train is not something I can afford within 2 weeks. It's also mentioned in the letter that expenses will not be covered.

If I decide against attending the inteview, is it basically the same as withdrawing my application?
Original post by DiZZeeKiD
I took two people with me when I went...I think they just do that to try and keep the numbers don't but it won't be a problem :smile:

oh ok.....r u sure they don't do some sort of a register...because i'm the type of person that follows the rules lol....and if it says u can take 1 guest and i take 2...i'll be worried all day lol

anyway thanks for answering :smile:
Original post by Facade123
I've been invited to an interview in a few weeks for Politics and International Relations. I would love to go, but getting from Belfast to Canterbury via flight and then train is not something I can afford within 2 weeks. It's also mentioned in the letter that expenses will not be covered.

If I decide against attending the inteview, is it basically the same as withdrawing my application?

Errrmmm i don't think that if u decide not to attend the interview then it'll be the same as withdrawing ur application. You might need to explain your circumstances to them and the uni might make some other arrangement.....but i'm not entirley sure though. I think you should ask your teachers in college or something.

Sorry for being no help lol :smile:
Reply 1085

Explaining that you can't afford the cost of travelling to the interview at short notice is perfectly reasonable. However, if they've asked you for an interview it usually means that it's part of their selection process. You need to speek to them. Ask them if the interview is essential and if it is, offer to go when you can travel more cheaply and give them the dates. They should try to accommodate you. Note, travelling to Manston, Kent rather than a London airport my suit you better if your travelling from N.Ireland or Scotland. The link to Canterbury from Manston isn't brilliant, but it may cost considerably less.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1086
me, accounting & finance
Reply 1087
i'm applying to study an undergraduate architecture course at Kent.i'm still completing my application.really hoping to get a place,it seems like a nice place to study at.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Nabilz
i'm applying to study an undergraduate architecture course at Kent.i'm still completing my application.really hoping to get a place,it seems like a nice place to study at.

How come ur still completing ur application....i mean hasn't the UCAS deadline passed???
oh ok.....r u sure they don't do some sort of a register...because i'm the type of person that follows the rules lol....and if it says u can take 1 guest and i take 2...i'll be worried all day lol

anyway thanks for answering :smile:

Nope, they don't do a register. It's an open day so you'll just get put into a group with another prospective students and their parents (or whoever they bring) and shown around by a current student. No need to worry :smile:
Reply 1090
How come ur still completing ur application....i mean hasn't the UCAS deadline passed???

Applications sent after 15th January are considered late and won't get equal consideration. Applications sent after 30th June go straight into Clearing. This applies to a 'standard' EU (or is it UK?...I can't remember) student.
Nope, they don't do a register. It's an open day so you'll just get put into a group with another prospective students and their parents (or whoever they bring) and shown around by a current student. No need to worry :smile:

Oh ok....thanks :smile:

Errrmmm i don't think that if u decide not to attend the interview then it'll be the same as withdrawing ur application. You might need to explain your circumstances to them and the uni might make some other arrangement.....but i'm not entirley sure though. I think you should ask your teachers in college or something.

Sorry for being no help lol :smile:

It doesn't matter where you live. I'm living on the WEST side of Canada and I found my application to be unsuccessful regardless of sending them an email in advance saying it won't be possible to travel all the way just for an open day/interview and requested an alternate.

Kent admissions don't care how far away you live, if you can't make an interview they deny you. Kent Admissions are total bullucks, they don't seem to care or take into account certain peoples circumstances.

If you're dead serious about going to Kent though then I suggest you make it to the interview anyway possible. If not expect a unsuccessful application.

It sucks I know right? Just my experiences. I know Cambridge gives interviews to internationals but it's Cambridge. This is bloody Kent and they request me to come all the way for an interview? er no thanks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ifstatement
It doesn't matter where you live. I'm living on the WEST side of Canada and I found my application to be unsuccessful regardless of sending them an email in advance saying it won't be possible to travel all the way just for an open day/interview and requested an alternate.

Kent admissions don't care how far away you live, if you can't make an interview they deny you. Kent Admissions are total bullucks, they don't seem to care or take into account certain peoples circumstances.

If you're dead serious about going to Kent though then I suggest you make it to the interview anyway possible. If not expect a unsuccessful application.

It sucks I know right? Just my experiences. I know Cambridge gives interviews to internationals but it's Cambridge. This is bloody Kent and they request me to come all the way for an interview? er no thanks.

In some circumstances it can be possible for them to conduct an interview over Skype. May be you could try giving them a call and try to rearrange.

Clearly you were not "dead serious" about going to Kent, hence the reason you won't be attending the interview, which is just as well as competition is very high here and it means your position can be filled by someone who really wants a place. It's funny that you apparently have such a dismissive attitude towards Kent considering you applied here and then requested they rearrange your interview, but hey, who am I to judge? :smile:
In some circumstances it can be possible for them to conduct an interview over Skype. May be you could try giving them a call and try to rearrange.

Tried rearranging for a skype interview as I just wasted a university choice but alas no success.

Clearly you were not "dead serious" about going to Kent, hence the reason you won't be attending the interview

Lol.

The cheapest price I found to go return flight to London Gatwick is 950CAD if I leave for the Kent interview which was originally scheduled to be in month and a bit. Alone that is around 600 POUNDS for a return flight to the UK. On top of that I would need to pay for transport and accommodation along with food, that would be a bit more so all in all I would be paying around 700-800 pounds alone just for a trip to the UK for a one day interview.

So yes if it costs that much I am not even going to bother am I? Paying all that money and going all that way for an interview. It's not exactly Cambridge is it. I'd rather accept one of my other university choices and use the money for a holiday.

It's funny that you apparently have such a dismissive attitude towards Kent considering you applied here and then requested they rearrange your interview, but hey, who am I to judge?

Other universities have made arrangements for a skype interview with ease, Kent's just being difficult. But no thanks I would rather not pay 600 pounds for a flight to the UK since I am not that serious for an interview and have unconditional's from other better universities. Though would of been nice for Kent to be a bit more cooperative with doing a phone/skype interview.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1095
Just got a conditional for Digital Arts :biggrin: I'm so relieved. :biggrin:

Good luck to all of you with your applications :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ifstatement
Tried rearranging for a skype interview as I just wasted a university choice but alas no success.

Lol.

The cheapest price I found to go return flight to London Gatwick is 950CAD if I leave for the Kent interview which was originally scheduled to be in month and a bit. Alone that is around 600 POUNDS for a return flight to the UK. On top of that I would need to pay for transport and accommodation along with food, that would be a bit more so all in all I would be paying around 700-800 pounds alone just for a trip to the UK for a one day interview.

So yes if it costs that much I am not even going to bother am I? Paying all that money and going all that way for an interview. It's not exactly Cambridge is it. I'd rather accept one of my other university choices and use the money for a holiday.

Other universities have made arrangements for a skype interview with ease, Kent's just being difficult. But no thanks I would rather not pay 600 pounds for a flight to the UK since I am not that serious for an interview and have unconditional's from other better universities. Though would of been nice for Kent to be a bit more cooperative with doing a phone/skype interview.

I see you have your priorities right :smile:

If you weren't willing to go for an interview, why even apply? I hope it works out with the other, 'better' Universities, despite the fact I'm willing to bet you've seen none of them, either.

Perhaps Kent imposes strict procedures like this to weed out undesirable candidates. Looks like it's working.
Reply 1097

no..the first deadline has passed but there's another one on 24th/march.
Reply 1098
Original post by Nabilz
no..the first deadline has passed but there's another one on 24th/march.

Wow. I didn't even know there was a "second" deadline =/
Do you just get considered after those who met the initial deadline?
Reply 1099
Original post by mons7re
Just got a conditional for Digital Arts :biggrin: I'm so relieved. :biggrin:

Good luck to all of you with your applications :smile:

Congratulations c:
Have you heard from all you unis now then?

Original post by Nabilz

*waves* and heyyy c: Fellow architect applicant here ^^
Where else have you applied/are you applying to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending