Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

University of Kent Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Onique
Is this the same as English and American Studies?

Don't think so since my course is just literature but they may have similar aspects :smile:

Original post by Onique

Added you on the OP if that's OK? (:

Yeah sure! :smile:
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by Onique
Is this the same as English and American Studies?

Not sure but I checked and my course is certainly English and American Literature :smile:
Reply 102
Hey, i'm applying for a degree in Conflict, Peace and Security, at the UNi of Kent school of politics & international relations! anybody else doing it?
Reply 103
Original post by besh_x
Yeah it is and just really nice accommodation in general :smile: In my opinion, it's definitely worth the extra money for an en-suite.

Yeah I agree, the extra money is worth it :tongue:
Reply 104
im applying for American Studies (History)... sent my UCAS off on the 28th so see if i get any replies in the near future. anyone know how long it takes for Kent to send out offers?
Have any of you decided to do any re-sits next year, or have done re-sits?
Reply 106
Original post by NormalsWeird

Original post by NormalsWeird
Wheeeey! I do psychology :smile: and I got in on BBB (didn't even have to ring them and beg or anything, checked UCAS and bam. Place.)

Ah, nice! Hopefully I'll be able to firm Kent. What subjects did you take out of curiousity?
Reply 107
Original post by Larsson
im applying for American Studies (History)... sent my UCAS off on the 28th so see if i get any replies in the near future. anyone know how long it takes for Kent to send out offers?

From what others have said on the thread, seems to be either 1 month after your application, of after the deadline =/ Good Luck! (:

Original post by TheSelfAcknowleged
Have any of you decided to do any re-sits next year, or have done re-sits?

I'm considering a re-sit of maths and physics. Maths I had 10 marks of an A one of the exams was one mark off -_-
And physics I was 20 UMS off an A but this was after getting a U in January and re sitting :biggrin:

I've decided to see how January turns out and then Re-sit in June.

Why do you ask? Are you thinking of re-sitting?
Original post by El_Sid
Ah, nice! Hopefully I'll be able to firm Kent. What subjects did you take out of curiousity?

English lit, English language and psychology :smile:
Original post by Onique
I've decided to see how January turns out and then Re-sit in June.

Why do you ask? Are you thinking of re-sitting?

I'm thinking about re-sitting 2 units.
I've already applied for 1 re-sit, and I'm wondering if I should re-sit a unit in another subject that would allow me to get a stronger grade A.
Hey everyone. I'm currently a second year student at Kent studying English and American Literature & Philosophy joint honours. I also helped revive the Philosophy Society last year. If anyone's got any questions about either course, the uni, uni life or anything else, then feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 111
Original post by TheSelfAcknowleged
I'm thinking about re-sitting 2 units.
I've already applied for 1 re-sit, and I'm wondering if I should re-sit a unit in another subject that would allow me to get a stronger grade A.

... did I hear right? Re-sit an A to get a better A ? Why would you want to put yourself through it all xD

Original post by Aleandcynicism
Hey everyone. I'm currently a second year student at Kent studying English and American Literature & Philosophy joint honours. I also helped revive the Philosophy Society last year. If anyone's got any questions about either course, the uni, uni life or anything else, then feel free to ask :smile:

Adding you to the first post if that's OK (:
Reply 112
hey guys! Im from Australia :smile: just thinking about applying for my Master at Kent! probably in Marketing or Management. So, Anyone? Wish I could get in! (My Gpa is not that good tho :frown:..)
Reply 113
Original post by thefine
hey guys! Im from Australia :smile: just thinking about applying for my Master at Kent! probably in Marketing or Management. So, Anyone? Wish I could get in! (My Gpa is not that good tho :frown:..)

Hi! ^^
What's a GPA?
Original post by Obsidian
I'm applying for English and American Literature :biggrin: Entry requirements are ABB.
Good luck everyone and well done to those who have offers already!

Hi, hope this won't cause you any worry but the entry requirements for that course are AAB not ABB. It does say ABB in the English 2012 course brochure but on UCAS it says AAB. I checked and they say that AAB will definitely be their standard offer, much to my horror:eek:
I am applying for English and American Literature and Creative Writing. The trouble I have is that Kent seem to give offers of other English courses to people who miss their grades for English Literature, etc, and that is very kind of them but no good to me because I am dead set on the creative writing part.
Good luck with your application
Original post by Onique
Hi! ^^
What's a GPA?

It's a way of showing ones performance instead of grades usually used in North America and I guess Australia also. Instead of getting grades (such as ABB in the UK) in high school/college you get a number regarding what grades you get.

Straight flawless A's are a 4.0 on a normal GPA scale, straight B's would be around a 3.50 and straight C's would be 2.4. To graduate with a high school diploma you would usually need a 2.4 GPA.

A 4.0GPA would usually be considered a first class degree and a 2.1 degree would be considered a 3.8 on a GPA scale. Usually to get a great chance of admission into a masters program you would usually need a 3.8GPA. To get into Ivy League nearly all applicants really must have a 4.0GPA.

High schools in North America are different also. Instead of tests being set by the government and then marked by a professional examiner; in North America the teachers make up the tests and then marks them. It pretty much goes, if you know your teacher well and get along with him/her it's pretty easy to get an A for that class and overall a 4.0GPA if you work hard enough since they have the final saying in what grade and marks to give you.
Reply 116
Original post by Onique
Hi! ^^
What's a GPA?

Aww I just saw the above comment.. Im not sure that I could get into uni of Kent :s-smilie:
I went to IDP and the staff there said Im eligible to apply and get into Kent.

Btw, My GPA 5.09 out of 7 (Credit Average).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 117
Original post by ifstatement
It's a way of showing ones performance instead of grades usually used in North America and I guess Australia also. Instead of getting grades (such as ABB in the UK) in high school/college you get a number regarding what grades you get.

Straight flawless A's are a 4.0 on a normal GPA scale, straight B's would be around a 3.50 and straight C's would be 2.4. To graduate with a high school diploma you would usually need a 2.4 GPA.

A 4.0GPA would usually be considered a first class degree and a 2.1 degree would be considered a 3.8 on a GPA scale. Usually to get a great chance of admission into a masters program you would usually need a 3.8GPA. To get into Ivy League nearly all applicants really must have a 4.0GPA.

High schools in North America are different also. Instead of tests being set by the government and then marked by a professional examiner; in North America the teachers make up the tests and then marks them. It pretty much goes, if you know your teacher well and get along with him/her it's pretty easy to get an A for that class and overall a 4.0GPA if you work hard enough since they have the final saying in what grade and marks to give you.

Ah OK, Thank You!
Strange how the teachers mark it though, a bit unfair really.

Original post by thefine
Aww I just saw the above comment.. Im not sure that I could get into uni of Kent :s-smilie:
I went to IDP and the staff there said Im eligible to apply and get into Kent.

Btw, My GPA 5.09 out of 7 (Credit Average).

Give them a call.
Looking at the system it's quite strange.
They may take that into consideration?
Original post by majornongeek
Hi, hope this won't cause you any worry but the entry requirements for that course are AAB not ABB. It does say ABB in the English 2012 course brochure but on UCAS it says AAB. I checked and they say that AAB will definitely be their standard offer, much to my horror:eek:
I am applying for English and American Literature and Creative Writing. The trouble I have is that Kent seem to give offers of other English courses to people who miss their grades for English Literature, etc, and that is very kind of them but no good to me because I am dead set on the creative writing part.
Good luck with your application

Not much that I can do now as I have already sent it off- reassuring to know that if I did drop a grade it is possible that they will still let me in :biggrin:
Thanks for letting me know. I really really really wish Unis wouldn't do this. Say one grade and then give out another. Durham University have also raised their entry requirements (luckily before I put an application in)

Hoping that I will get the AAB regardless but you never know!

Thanks again,
Obsidian
applying for biology w/ a foundation year :smile: anyone else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending