The Student Room Group

If I crash into somebody would my insurance TPFT repair their car if I'm at fault?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
4me
OP
Original post by Good bloke

Original post by Good bloke
I'd be careful doing that if I were you. They will record your details and you may have difficulty getting them to trust you when you ask for another quote with a different date of birth later. Telling the truth to insurance companies is extremely important. They won't haggle.

why do many people on here say that they will then? FXX JC AND EMMA ALL STRONGLY RECOMMEND HAGGLING AND THEY NO THEIR STUFF
Original post by 4me
Just been looking on the internet and i have learnt this about third party fire and theft.
If I am involved in an accident that was my fault then the third party fire and theft insurance i have will not repair my vehicle as it only covers against third partys fire and theft??

is that true?

So If I caused an accident to somebody else and damaged their car and I was at fault would my insurance cover the other persons car to get fixed even though my insurance is only TPFT? vice versa?

Yeah, it covers you so the other persons car will get fixed but not yours. The only way they will pay out for your car is if it is stolen or gets destroyed by fire. Thats why its cheaper than fully comp insurance.
Reply 42
4me
OP
Original post by Emma:-)

Yeah, it covers you so the other persons car will get fixed but not yours. The only way they will pay out for your car is if it is stolen or gets destroyed by fire. Thats why its cheaper than fully comp insurance.

I always thought that but I rang up about 30mins ago to get a quote and the guy came back and said comprehensive turns out the cheapest for you at £3200 fully comp on my 1.0 corsa
Original post by 4me
I always thought that but I rang up about 30mins ago to get a quote and the guy came back and said comprehensive turns out the cheapest for you at £3200 fully comp on my 1.0 corsa

Yeah, most of the time, third party fire and theft is cheaper, but in a few cases fully comp does turn out to be the cheaper option. Im not sure why. If anyone knows then please enlighten me.
Original post by 4me

£3200 on a 1L Corsa!!! That can't be right...
Reply 45
4me
OP
Original post by Arron17

Original post by Arron17
£3200 on a 1L Corsa!!! That can't be right...

£3200 on a 1.0 corsa, fully comp. £3000 tpft or £3500 if i pay in monthly instalments

based on having a license for 1year, being 20.

I am 19 had license 8months will be 20 in 2weeks
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by 4me
£3200 on a 1.0 corsa, fully comp. £3000 tpft or £3500 if i pay in monthly instalments

based on having a license for 1year, being 20.

I am 19 had license 8months will be 20 in 2weeks

When I insured my car I was 19 and had a license for 1 Year 9 Months and it was £2000 Fully comp on a 1.4L Seat Leon...
Reply 47
4me
OP
Original post by Arron17

Original post by Arron17
When I insured my car I was 19 and had a license for 1 Year 9 Months and it was £2000 Fully comp on a 1.4L Seat Leon...

how long ago was that, wer u live ?
Original post by 4me
how long ago was that, wer u live ?

That was a few weeks ago... And I live in Leeds which is a high risk area.
Reply 49
4me
OP
Original post by Arron17

Original post by Arron17
That was a few weeks ago... And I live in Leeds which is a high risk area.

I live in a high risk area to called skelmersdale near Wigan or Liverpool. fully ocomp for me on one of those would prob excedd £5000
Reply 50
Yeah, most of the time, third party fire and theft is cheaper, but in a few cases fully comp does turn out to be the cheaper option. Im not sure why. If anyone knows then please enlighten me.

Untrue.
Most times comprehensive is cheaper these days.
Reply 51
4me
OP
Original post by denislaw

Untrue.

No, Emma is right third party fdire and theft is often cheapest. out of all the 100- 200 quoyes I have recieved so far fully comp has only been cheapest once and that was over the phone
Untrue.

Where have you been getting your quotes from?
Like the person above said- third party fire and theft is cheaper most of the time, mainly because they dont have to pay out for your car in an accident, just the other persons and they only have to pay out for your car if its stolen or is on fire.
Reply 53
I haven't brought a car yet but when I do if the insuce company believe the value is around £400 is there any point in fully comp? The way I look at it is that the insurance is an extra £200 fully comp (it is more expensive) so surely even minor damage would write my car off?

Opinions....
Original post by Ryan17.
I haven't brought a car yet but when I do if the insuce company believe the value is around £400 is there any point in fully comp? The way I look at it is that the insurance is an extra £200 fully comp (it is more expensive) so surely even minor damage would write my car off?

Opinions....

That sums it up quite well.
Reply 55
Thought so some of my mates have fully comp on their cars and if they only get £500 back its a little pointless paying out more in the first place

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending