The Student Room Group

PSYA4 27TH JAN 2012- Schizophrenia, Aggression, Research Methods

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Cleoleo
Can someone explain the relapse part in the disease model please ?

Basically, because the addictive behaviour caused a massive and rapid activation of dopamine receptors in the mesolimbic pathway, lasting memories have been created which have linked the drug to a pleasureable reward (kinda like positive reinforcement). Eventually, even if due to desensitisation the drug does not give pleasure as before, the mind still has created the link between the addiction and the pleasurable reward. This makes it harder for the addict to abstain and can cause relapse. Also, constantly being surrounded by cues that cause dopamine activation will also be a problem.
Also, the frontal cortex of the addict has weakened due to the drug abuse and lack of self control. This heightens the risk of relapse in addicts.

Hope I helped :smile:
Reply 121
Original post by hhh123
Can someone please explain to be why people with addictions relapse? I know that there are many different factors such as stress, personality and peer pressure.. but I am unsure how I can explain it within a paragraph..
Any help would be much appreciated :-)

I had this as a 10 marker and got 8 out of 10.. If you want it then lemme know :smile:
Very new to this but i am doing schizophrenia,addiction and research methods! Very stuck on learning model in general forr addiction?! Anyone any revision notes On this or could link me to any? Would be much appreciatedxx
Reply 123
Original post by Geekiwish93
Very new to this but i am doing schizophrenia,addiction and research methods! Very stuck on learning model in general forr addiction?! Anyone any revision notes On this or could link me to any? Would be much appreciatedxx

Hey there, welcome! :smile:

I am also doing Schizophrenia, Aggression and RM.

I have learnt the learning model for addiction in terms of smoking and gambling. So separate explanations for each. Would you like me to explain it that way?
Original post by hhh123
Hey there, welcome! :smile:

I am also doing Schizophrenia, Aggression and RM.

I have learnt the learning model for addiction in terms of smoking and gambling. So separate explanations for each. Would you like me to explain it that way?

Dont know how to work this aha sorrry! Thought you just said aggression insteaad of addiction!? But yes Pleease that would be SO helpful! Xx
Reply 125
Psychology revision is eating up all my time. :coma: But I guess that's my fault for longing it out so much..
Reply 126
Could anyone sum up the changes AQA made to Media, Schizophrenia and Research Methods please? We haven't had our proper Psychology teacher since Septemeber, we've been struck with Substitute after substitue, and they didn't mention any changes to the specification till last week ;/. Is it anything major, does it affect any studies i should learn? If so could i get some studies i can learn that would be of use?
Reply 127
Original post by Ismo
Could anyone sum up the changes AQA made to Media, Schizophrenia and Research Methods please? We haven't had our proper Psychology teacher since Septemeber, we've been struck with Substitute after substitue, and they didn't mention any changes to the specification till last week ;/. Is it anything major, does it affect any studies i should learn? If so could i get some studies i can learn that would be of use?

This document outlines the changes. :smile:
http://www.oxfordschoolblogs.co.uk/psychcompanion/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Changes-from-Sept-2011.doc
AGHH BEGINNING TO FREAK OUT!! I got all my notes done ages ago for this exam (bar a a lot of research methods) but have been so distracted by other revision recently I haven't had time to go through and learn them yet.... The next thirteen days are going to be hectic!! I have to get about 75% to get a B overall for my uni offer, beginning to think that might not be possible!! AGGGGHHHHH!!!!
Reply 129

Hah, all of the changes mentioned i've already been doing in my revision... Time to do a past paper and fall asleep :/
Reply 130
Original post by Harry-Nixon

Original post by Harry-Nixon
AGHH BEGINNING TO FREAK OUT!! I got all my notes done ages ago for this exam (bar a a lot of research methods) but have been so distracted by other revision recently I haven't had time to go through and learn them yet.... The next thirteen days are going to be hectic!! I have to get about 75% to get a B overall for my uni offer, beginning to think that might not be possible!! AGGGGHHHHH!!!!

same position, but I need 85% cos I need an A to get into ANY of my unis :/
Reply 131
Original post by fxyz
same position, but I need 85% cos I need an A to get into ANY of my unis :/

Aren't the grade boundaries for this exam pretty low? :s-smilie:
Reply 132
Original post by Mmrawrr
Aren't the grade boundaries for this exam pretty low? :s-smilie:

Not sure bout that.. But I need 85 UMS atleast unless I wanna resit PSYA1 :/ I've heard that this exam is the hardest out of all 4 units though, so maybe they are low..

Original post by fxyz
Not sure bout that.. But I need 85 UMS atleast unless I wanna resit PSYA1 :/ I've heard that this exam is the hardest out of all 4 units though, so maybe they are low..

This is by far the hardest!! But I just had a look and the grade boundaries for last June were 55 for an A, 48 for a B and 42 for a C (out of 85). But from past experience I know its so hard to access the marks :/
Research methods takes 35 marks out of 85 in the exam...

25 each on the other 2 sections.

:smile:
Reply 135
How many hours a day are people revising?
Reply 136
Please can someone help me understand type 1 and type 2 errors, and how you would know whether an experiment has a chance of making a type 1/2 error.

Thank you
Reply 137
Original post by Brap4k22DivideBy2
Research methods takes 35 marks out of 85 in the exam...

25 each on the other 2 sections.

:smile:

24 now :tongue:
Reply 138
Original post by fxyz

Aah right, I wasn't thinking of previous units, in that case you might need 85 for an A.
Reply 139
Original post by Mmrawrr
Aah right, I wasn't thinking of previous units, in that case you might need 85 for an A.

I got 83 UMS on PSYA2, and got an A.
Im sure it is 80 UMS for an A.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending