The Student Room Group

What if the satellite hits the UK and kills people?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jb9191
Yes but it could hit someone and thats still bad. Im a very caring person and I'd hate for someone to be killed by this satellite. :frown:

Could there be alien life on it? :eek:

If hits someone I'll give you a tenner, cos it's not going to hit anyone.

And you just confirmed being a troll, or having the iq of a goldfish. No there will not be alien life on it.
Reply 21
Original post by Ronnie01
There is a 1/3200 chance of it hitting a person, not you or me specifically, ANY person.

and ANY person could be you though, why are you not worried?

If you don't log on Friday evening I know what happened. :frown:
Reply 22
Original post by jb9191
What if this happens? The satellite weights 6 tons. :eek:

There is a 1/3200 chance of it hitting you?

Yes, there is more chance of this hitting you than you winning the lottery.

With the speed/velocity as well it could trigger a massive flame ball.

What if it hits us, the greatest 4 countries of the world? (Wales, England, Scotland and NI)

1/3200 :eek3:

Also, if people are killed in another country they may blame America for it and it could trigger WW3.

:frown:

http://www.rentadrone.org/2011/09/16/nasa-satellite-hurtling-towards-earth/
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/09/19/earlyshow/leisure/gamesgadgetsgizmos/main20108223.shtml
http://www.independent.ie/world-news/in-brief-satellite-hurtling-towards-earth-2879848.html

Depends on the size and even then they are just gonna burn up
Original post by najinaji
:lol:

I love your signature.

Remember what is owed must be honoured for an unhonoured debt is a debt for eternity. Get my drift ?
Reply 24
Original post by hdr95
If hits someone I'll give you a tenner, cos it's not going to hit anyone.

You mock my IQ but can't even type properly. :lol:

Im not gambling, I'm just asking.

And you just confirmed being a troll, or having the iq of a goldfish. No there will not be alien life on it.

Why not? its coming from space so there is a chance that there could be another species on it and using it as a gateway to our planet.
Far more likely we will die in a car crash at the weekend than being hit by a satellite.
Reply 26
Original post by USB
You dumbass.

It is a 1/3200 chance of it hitting anyone. If it was 1/3200 for each individual person, then roughly 2 million people will get hit. Seems a bit high?

Yeah, it is.

:facepalm:

I know that. :facepalm:

However, any person COULD be you.

1/3200 chance of it hitting a person.

I presume you = a person

thus there is 1/3200 chance in it hitting you.

Or are you logically in theory not a person? :rolleyes:
Reply 27
Original post by jb9191
and ANY person could be you though, why are you not worried?

If you don't log on Friday evening I know what happened. :frown:

The odds of it hitting me are at least 1 in 7,000,000,000, but I'll stay in next weekend just to be sure.
To be fair, I don't think OP is trolling, just panicking and misuderstanding figures.

"What if it hits the UK and kills people?" .....well then it hits the UK and kills people. Bad news, obviously, but there's nothing you can do, so if I were you, I'd stop worrying. As previously mentioned, there's a 1/3200 chance of it hitting SOMEONE, not you specifically. The chance of that happening is far, far lower.
become he-man and throw it back into outerspace or at a terrorist base, see how they like it....
Reply 30
Original post by Ronnie01
The odds of it hitting me are at least 1 in 7,000,000,000, but I'll stay in next weekend just to be sure.

I'd advise you to as well, I know I am, just to be safe. I hope it don't hit my house though, its a rather nice house.
Reply 31
Original post by modgepodge
To be fair, I don't think OP is trolling, just panicking and misuderstanding figures.

"What if it hits the UK and kills people?" .....well then it hits the UK and kills people. Bad news, obviously, but there's nothing you can do, so if I were you, I'd stop worrying. As previously mentioned, there's a 1/3200 chance of it hitting SOMEONE, not you specifically. The chance of that happening is far, far lower.

But ANYONE could be ME. Thats the thing. :frown:

1/3200. I've had accummulators with higher odds than that, like Torres scoring and Arsenal winning the league this year.
Reply 32
Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
I love your signature.

Thank you, thank you.

Original post by jb9191
Why not? its coming from space so there is a chance that there could be another species on it and using it as a gateway to our planet.

:teehee:

Original post by Indian_Prince
become he-man and throw it back into outerspace or at a terrorist base, see how they like it....

:lol:

Original post by jb9191
But ANYONE could be ME. Thats the thing. :frown:

1/3200. I've had accummulators with higher odds than that, like Torres scoring and Arsenal winning the league this year.

It doesn't say 'death' or 'serious injury' does it? Even if a bit does hit you, it might be the size of a rubber and it only bruises your arm or something.

EDIT: Actually, that'd be quite cool. If I asked someone how they got their injury and said 'Got hit by a satellite', I'd be quite impressed.

Here's some music for the thread too:

(edited 12 years ago)
The odds of it hitting a populated area are 1/3200.

The odds of it hitting your populated area are less than that.

The odds of it hitting your populated area and killing somebody in it are even less than that.

You'll be fine.

I'd rather that it came out of orbit like this than sat in LEO making more and more space junk.
Reply 34
Original post by jb9191
It was on CNN.

There is a 1/3200 chance of it hitting you according to scientists. :eek:

Its likely to hit Friday but they don't know where, its being tracked.

Yes its an american satellite. Don't call troll just because you've not heard about it.

I was wrong initially, not 1/3600, 1/3200 chance of it hitting you.

http://www.rentadrone.org/2011/09/16/nasa-satellite-hurtling-towards-earth/
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/09/19/earlyshow/leisure/gamesgadgetsgizmos/main20108223.shtml
http://www.independent.ie/world-news/in-brief-satellite-hurtling-towards-earth-2879848.html

:eek3:

The likelihood of the satellite debris maiming or otherwise disturbing the health and safety of earth’s populace is 1/3200

There is a 1/3200 chance of it harming someone, somewhere in the world. The chances of you being one of those people is ridiculously tiny compared to that.
Original post by jb9191
I know that. :facepalm:

However, any person COULD be you.

1/3200 chance of it hitting a person.

I presume you = a person

thus there is 1/3200 chance in it hitting you.

Or are you logically in theory not a person? :rolleyes:

Thats like saying the chances of a person winning the lottery are 100%, as someone, somewhere, has to win.
The odds of you being that person however are then a further 0.001% or whatever the statistics are.

Yes, you could be the person, but the odds of you being that person are a further 1 in 7 billion, so you then need to times your 1/3600 by 1/700000000 to get your true probability

And yes, I know that the chances of the person winning the lottery arnt actually 100%, but it just makes it much simpler.
Original post by jb9191

Are you for real? I advise you to re-read your sources before coming out with nonsense :wink:
Thres a 3200/1 chance of it hitting someone, there are 6billion people in the world so the chance of it hitting you are 3200 x 6 billion, I wouldn't worry.
Hopefully it will hit someone I don't like.

Funny how people freak out over the prospect of being killed by a falling satellite when they cross the road without looking, smoke, eat junk food and drive their cars fast.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
If it's a 1/3200 chance of it hitting someone, it means its going to hit 1875 people. I don't understand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending