The Student Room Group

History Applicants Stalking thread 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Xyris
Hey,
I mentioned one book and talked about the arguments it presented and how good/poor I thought they were, luckily the book was so pretentious and obscure it was easy to criticize but still respect the opinion. I wouldn't personally mention a general argument in History and talk about your respected views. It's all up to you at the end of the day :smile:

hmm, i talked about it as a part of history that interested me and basically gave a realllly brief summary of the conclusion i reached in my essay. it was on haig though, and i was supporting him, so if my tutors grand parents served under haig or something that's me pretty much ****ed i imagine...
Reply 81
Original post by toofaforu
hmm, i talked about it as a part of history that interested me and basically gave a realllly brief summary of the conclusion i reached in my essay. it was on haig though, and i was supporting him, so if my tutors grand parents served under haig or something that's me pretty much ****ed i imagine...

My A2 Coursework is on Haig as a leader infact, and I think that would be a great point to make, we now know that (for many Historians, but not all...) Haig was actually a good commander with what he understood at the time, so I'm sure the Admissions Tutors will respect that and appreciate it's value in your statement.
Reply 82
So far have an AAB offer from Southampton, itll probably be my insurance.
All the other unis i've applied to have said they;re going to wait until the january deadline (or words like that) - so I have to wait a while =/ oh and oxford won't be letting me know until late december!
Reply 83
Original post by princess dora
Hello fellow Durham applicant!
I applied to University College too, it's sooo beautiful!
I'm so excited, Durham is my other dream-uni besides Cambridge and St Andrews...
What made you choose University College? :smile:

I loved the Castle so much! I know I'm like another person who has fallen for the castle, but it's just so nice! :smile: Good luck! x
Reply 84
Acheived grades:
GCSE:A*A*A*AACCC Distinction Distinction Distinction*
AS:AAAB D(in general studies) :banghead:

Predicted Grades:
History:A
Politics:A*
Sociology:A*
EPQ:A
General studies:B

Unis Applied to:

St Andrews
Glasgow
Durham (University)
Royal Holloway
Nottingham
Just got a tidy wee offer for History at Liverpool!!! - AAA conditional

:p:D:rolleyes::smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by zoeleec
I loved the Castle so much! I know I'm like another person who has fallen for the castle, but it's just so nice! :smile: Good luck! x

Yeah, I guess the majority of the applicants apply to Castle, but it's so beautiful! Plus they have the pooling system, so it's ok.
Reply 87
AS Grades - AAAB
GCSEs - 6A*, 4A, 1B
Predicted Grades - A* A* A
Applying - Oxford, UCL, Bristol, St Andrews (modern), Leeds
All single honours
(edited 12 years ago)
2nd offer from Manchester today!! Conditional - AAA as well
Reply 89
Offer from Southampton yesterday...AAB! :smile:
Should be all up to date :biggrin:

Just got an offer from Lancaster - AAB :smile:
Just got an offer from Exeter, A*AA. Eeeeee :awesome:
Reply 93
AAA for Newcastle :smile:
AAB for Exeter! :eek:

(and I'm predicted A*AA as well...)

Now I don't have to get any A*s! :biggrin:
Original post by Niki_girl
AAB for Exeter! :eek:

(and I'm predicted A*AA as well...)

Now I don't have to get any A*s! :biggrin:

Wow, well done! You must have written a great personal statement :smile:
Do you think you'll go for Exeter as your insurance?
Original post by waterloo-sunset
Wow, well done! You must have written a great personal statement :smile:
Do you think you'll go for Exeter as your insurance?

Thanks! Either that or my teachers put together a really good reference! I was really surprised considering I'm predicted A*AA, but miracles do happen!

Yes, Exeter would be my 2nd choice assuming I got all of my offers, but I think the competition at Oxford is extremely fierce and so I'm not banking on getting an offer from them, so Exeter could quite likely be my firm with either UEA or RHUL as my insurance!

What are your plans if you get all of your offers?
Reply 97
AAA conditional offer from Newcastle :biggrin: so happy!!!
Applying to Exeter, Warwick, Bristol, Cardiff, Southampton.
All are history apart from Exeter, Joint honours in Spanish and History.
Earned AAAA at AS....
Original post by Niki_girl
Thanks! Either that or my teachers put together a really good reference! I was really surprised considering I'm predicted A*AA, but miracles do happen!

Yes, Exeter would be my 2nd choice assuming I got all of my offers, but I think the competition at Oxford is extremely fierce and so I'm not banking on getting an offer from them, so Exeter could quite likely be my firm with either UEA or RHUL as my insurance!

What are your plans if you get all of your offers?

Now that's a dream scenario :biggrin:

Obviously there'd be no turning down Oxford, and ideally I'd have Edinburgh as an insurance (but I think if I did get an offer there's a good chance it'd be higher than the standard BBB because apparently they vary).

More realistically, I really like my other choices (Warwick, York and Notts) so I'm not completely sure which I'd firm assuming Oxford doesn't work out. Might go with my Nottingham offer, but any would be nice :smile:

I'm actually feeling oddly relaxed and optimistic about it all now, really looking forward to uni!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending