The Student Room Group

simple C1 differentiation question

sorry about this, but these questions are bugging me, I can't figure out how to differentiate this (I can do the process just don't know where to start) any help would be greatly appreciated!

2x+3
-------
x

Thankyou!
Original post by matthew100
sorry about this, but these questions are bugging me, I can't figure out how to differentiate this (I can do the process just don't know where to start) any help would be greatly appreciated!

2x+3
-------
x

Thankyou!

Can you rewrite this using indices so you no longer have a fraction to worry about?
Reply 2

Original post by Mr M
Can you rewrite this using indices so you no longer have a fraction to worry about?

that's the bit im stuck on Mr M, i'm not sure how to times x through

2x+3
-------
x

Thankyou!

When you divide by x, you decrease the indices by 1, as you know the x is actually x^1.

So you have 2x+3, which you can read as 2x^1 + 3x^0, so when you divide by x, you decrease the indices on each part by one.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4

2x+3
-------
x

Thankyou!

You can write it as 2x/x +3/x. Then arrange it so that there are no fractions. Can you go on from there?
that's the bit im stuck on Mr M, i'm not sure how to times x through

x1(2x+3)=?x^{-1}(2x+3) = ?
Reply 6
2x+3
-------
x

Make them seperate
2x/x + 3/x

When dividing the x the powers just take away from each other.
2x^1/x^1 = 2x^0 = 2
3/x^1 = 3x^-1 (the power becomes negative when it you bring it from the bottom of the fraction to the top.)

Now dy/dx.
Reply 7
it says the answer should be 3x-^2 (when dy/dx has been done)
(edited 12 years ago)
it says the answer should be 3x-1 (when dy/dx has been done)

Are you sure?
Reply 9
I thought you would have used the quotient rule.........???!!
Reply 10
Original post by TheGrinningSkull
Are you sure?

that's what it says in the back of my c1 book im working on ex 7E QG
Original post by hhh123

Edexcel C1 :smile:
Reply 12
sorted it!
cheers everyone, I wasn't expecting to get so many replies that quickly! i've sorted it thankyou all so much :smile:
Reply 13
it says the answer should be 3x-^2 (when dy/dx has been done)

That's right. Actually is should be negative so -3x^-2.
(edited 12 years ago)
that's what it says in the back of my c1 book im working on ex 7E QG

Original post by Nokiacrazi

Oh, well, unless you wrote the question wrong in the OP then this should be differentiating 3x^-1 +2 which differentiates to -3x^-2 or:
-----
x^2
Original post by hhh123

That is C3 and you wouldn't here because the Exs for the first term cancel out giving a constant. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Nokiacrazi

Ah I see! I am OCR C3!!!
Original post by hhh123
Ah I see! I am OCR C3!!!

I think quotient rule would have been a poor choice anyway. Many simple quotients can be differentiated directly (like this) or by using the product rule.
Reply 17
Original post by Mr M
I think quotient rule would have been a poor choice anyway. Many simple quotients can be differentiated directly (like this) or by using the product rule.

I didn't work the question out neither read the question thoroughly!
I just saw the divide and quotient popped to my head!

Quick Reply

Latest