The Student Room Group

Self-teach Further Maths AS

I just started my AS-Levels although my school doesn't offer FM.

I was planning to take FP1 this January alongside my C1, although I'm not too sure if that's a good idea?

Suggestions?
Reply 1
Original post by youngeN

I was planning to take FP1 this January alongside my C1, although I'm not too sure if that's a good idea?

Suggestions?

Are you looking to do a FM AS in one year or two? Or are you planning on doing a full A level?
Yep, lots of people do it. FP1 is very straightforward, get yourself a decent textbook and it should be fine. I reccomend http://www.amazon.co.uk/Further-Pure-Mathematics-Brian-Gaulter/dp/0199147353/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316459130&sr=1-1 but there's lots of other good one's out there.
Reply 3
It isn't too bad; in fact, a lot, if not all of FP1 can actually be done without C2, C3, C4.
Reply 4
Original post by wibletg

Original post by wibletg
Are you looking to do a FM AS in one year or two? Or are you planning on doing a full A level?

I'm only planning to do Further Maths as an AS-Level preferably over 2 years.
Reply 5
definitely if you put the work in! very possible :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by youngeN
I'm only planning to do Further Maths as an AS-Level preferably over 2 years.

Yeah, you could quite easily do this - Get a decent textbook for FP1 however. Some of them are quite wordy or have 'filler' in them, as in they teach you stuff you don't need to know, so be careful :smile:

Also, make sure your applied modules don't overlap with the applied modules in Core maths - that's the only other thing :smile:
Original post by youngeN

Suggestions?

Your school can register with the Further Maths Support Programme, which gives you access to on-line materials that are designed either to help self-teach or tutor-led learning.

Quick Reply

Latest