The Student Room Group

I hate my accent, how do I gradually change it?

I have a rough East London 'thug'-ish accent. It's come from being raised in a rough area with a typical asian chavvish family and friends. Now, me, I'm just a typical skinny teen but I honestly hate this kind of speaking. It's not so easy to NATURALLY change either because in natural conversations, the old accent just comes out. If you want a sort of perspective on how I speak, it's the kind of thing where you speak rough and skip T's. Wa'er, bu''er, etc (like War-ah, buh-ah).

Yeah.

Anyway, I want to sound more normal and a lot less like that. What do I do? How do I find an accent that I like and change to it? A normal accent, something British, preferably. What can I do to find it? And then what can I do to copy it and then gradually start making it my natural accent?

Scroll to see replies

Like it or not, that's part of who you are - it'll change over time I'm sure, but don't try and force it.
All your friends and family will think you're a ****.
At least that's what my family think about my cousin changing her northern irish accent to an english one.
Original post by Popppppy

At least that's what my family think about my cousin changing her northern irish accent to an english one.

Your family doesn't sound like the brightest bunch if they're that easily offended.
First of all there isn't a 'normal' accent. Maybe if you become more concious of how you talk and the words you use you will slowly begin to develop a different accent. Or surround yourself with the type of people you want to talk like and you will pick it up?
Reply 5
Well the NI accent is the best around, so you can see why :smile:
Reply 6
"The rain in spain falls mainly on the plane" in your best Queens English.
Original post by Jackal The
Your family doesn't sound like the brightest bunch if they're that easily offended.

Did I say we were offended?
Maybe you should learn to read before decided who's bright and who's not.
Reply 8
Compared to most scots my accent if fairly weak, not sure why, i've never tried to change it. :s
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
I have a rough East London 'thug'-ish accent. It's come from being raised in a rough area with a typical asian chavvish family and friends. Now, me, I'm just a typical skinny teen but I honestly hate this kind of speaking. It's not so easy to NATURALLY change either because in natural conversations, the old accent just comes out. If you want a sort of perspective on how I speak, it's the kind of thing where you speak rough and skip T's. Wa'er, bu''er, etc (like War-ah, buh-ah).

Yeah.

Anyway, I want to sound more normal and a lot less like that. What do I do? How do I find an accent that I like and change to it? A normal accent, something British, preferably. What can I do to find it? And then what can I do to copy it and then gradually start making it my natural accent?

I love this accent! A lot of my mates speak like that as well and it's kinda fun really. Post a video for a more visual description : p

Anyway, it's doable but it's going to be hard really. In order to blend with my mates I kinda copy certain words like go', wo', bu'er but my own accent comes back naturally.

Last year every time before I sleep, I tried certain sentence like: "you go' wha' I mean?" or "Pu' the bo'le of wa'er and tom'ao next to the tos'er" haha. It works! But unfortunately there are a lot of words I can't do fast enough and a lot of my friends rejected the idea that I'm trying to learn something that I shouldn't. lol

So try it : )
Reply 10
Get elocution lessons :3

Yeah.

http://www.speakmoreclearly.com/britishaccent
**** that, don't get co-opted into talking the way other people talk because you think there's something embarrassing about the way you talk, it just encourages cultural elitism. First-year-at-uni accents are the worst, people come back from uni and they go from the way they used to talk to being all 'yahh, I'm having, like, sach a lavely time, yahh'
Reply 13
The rain in Spain falls mainly in the plain. :pierre:
(edited 12 years ago)
Did I say we were offended?
Maybe you should learn to read before decided who's bright and who's not.

Yeah, you pretty much did.

Yeah.

What is this nonsense about wanting to sound normal? Be proud of who you are and where you come from. If anyone judges you because of how you speak, that's their problem and they're not the kind of people you want to associate with anyhow.

Why is your cousin changing her accent from Northern Irish to English?
Reply 17

Yeah.

Just thank the heavens you weren't afflicted with a Northern accent.
Don't change your accent,
I don't think it is entirely possible, be proud of it.

Being in many productions i've had to change "accents" for my theatrical peformances, I went to a vocal and accent coach who taught me how to pronounce vowels firstly then into words in a accent. It's hard... like .... super hard
Reply 19
Learn french.

Latest

Trending

Trending