The Student Room Group

Wisdom teeth adivice

Hi guys,

One of my wisdom teeth has started to cut through, and I'm in absolute agony atm, which exactly ideal for freshers as you can imagine. Will never in a million years be able to afford to get them removed so I was wondering if any had any advise or tips to help relieve the pain because I can't rely on ibuprofen and paracetamol all the time.
Reply 1
If you're getting that feeling that you want to chew on stuff all the time, eat carrots. My dentist told me, apparently it's nice and clean so won't affect it and chewy enough to relief that feeling.

If the pain is that bad, go to your GP and get some stronger painkillers.
Original post by hannah.bandanna
Hi guys,

One of my wisdom teeth has started to cut through, and I'm in absolute agony atm, which exactly ideal for freshers as you can imagine. Will never in a million years be able to afford to get them removed so I was wondering if any had any advise or tips to help relieve the pain because I can't rely on ibuprofen and paracetamol all the time.

same thing going on here. ice chips help.
Bonjela helps (as it is primarily used for teething as well as ulcers). If you are still having grief in about a week or so, do to the denist that they might be able to recommend something.
I had the same problem and I was asked whether I wanted mine out..of course otherwise the agony would keep comin bk! Have u registered with a dentist? If not try a hot water bottle(obviously wrapped up) it worked for me and also Bonjela..
Hope u feel better soon
Reply 5
I had the same problem and I was asked whether I wanted mine out..of course otherwise the agony would keep comin bk! Have u registered with a dentist? If not try a hot water bottle(obviously wrapped up) it worked for me and also Bonjela..
Hope u feel better soon
Reply 6
I'm always having this problem. I can't have my teeth taken out just yet....apparently they're not long enough! But long enough to cause me a hell of a lot of pain! :mad: I've been advised by my dentist to use Corsodyl mouthwash or Corsodyl gel (which is just like Bonjela apparently...but I've never tried bonjela) Anyway both of them work quite well. I put the gel on at night before bed. If I cba to put on the gel, I just rinse my mouth with the wash (dilute it in the cap given, by following instructions on the back) for a minute before bed and in the morning after breakfast. They both leave a bitter taste in your mouth and can sometimes feel like it's burning your tongue lol but that's what it's meant to be like apparently!
Thanks for tips guys, and I know corsodyl is a absolute bitch, my sister used to use it, and it was just bleugh!!!!
My dentist told me to rinse my mouth with salty water if they started to come through. Might taste a bit bleurgh though!
Reply 9
There is NOTHING in this world like dental pain. I'll be brutally honest with you... get yourself to the dental hospital to have it extracted...the sooner, the better. My last one was almost the death of me, seriously! Painkillers only work for a short time so the excruciating agony will be back with a vengeance!! The offending tooth will haunt the crap out of you until it is gone. For heaven's sake, in the meantime DO NOT eat anything spicy...you have been warned!

I've tried all of the above but none of them work in the long term.

Sorry to be harsh but I can't lie to you. The dental hospital should be free as it is emergency treatment.

Go now!
Reply 10
Original post by jaydemikaela
My dentist told me to rinse my mouth with salty water if they started to come through. Might taste a bit bleurgh though!

Yeah I was also told to do this, but I couldn't take the salty taste anymore! I kept throwing up! I'll take the burning tongue sensation from corsodyl anyday :redface:
Reply 11
Original post by mogambo
I'm always having this problem. I can't have my teeth taken out just yet....apparently they're not long enough! But long enough to cause me a hell of a lot of pain! :mad: I've been advised by my dentist to use Corsodyl mouthwash or Corsodyl gel (which is just like Bonjela apparently...but I've never tried bonjela) Anyway both of them work quite well. I put the gel on at night before bed. If I cba to put on the gel, I just rinse my mouth with the wash (dilute it in the cap given, by following instructions on the back) for a minute before bed and in the morning after breakfast. They both leave a bitter taste in your mouth and can sometimes feel like it's burning your tongue lol but that's what it's meant to be like apparently!

DON'T use Corsodyl, seriously. It stains your teeth brown, either use salty water or ask your dentist to recommend you a mouth wash that won't stain your teeth.
Reply 12
Original post by LeaX
DON'T use Corsodyl, seriously. It stains your teeth brown, either use salty water or ask your dentist to recommend you a mouth wash that won't stain your teeth.

Oh really? that must be if you're using it for a long time surely or excessively? The longest I've ever had to use it was continuously for a week and a half. I've never had any staining so far! I only have good things to say about corsodyl really, it's helped me immensely.
Apart from the horrible taste, I also found salty water didn't help much.
Reply 13
Original post by mogambo
Oh really? that must be if you're using it for a long time surely or excessively? The longest I've ever had to use it was continuously for a week and a half. I've never had any staining so far! I only have good things to say about corsodyl really, it's helped me immensely.
Apart from the horrible taste, I also found salty water didn't help much.

Yeah, I got told by my dentist yesterday not to use it, and I've known people who've used it and had brown stains on their teeth, but I'm not sure how long that takes to happen.

Quick Reply

Latest