The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

how hard is it to get into LSE???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AppleBobbing
I always cringe a bit when people say I got into LSE due to luck/lottery :tongue:

GCSE - 13A*'s

AS: History 98%, English Literature 87%, Chemistry 100%, Geography 98%

A2 conditions (2010, so no A* in offers): AAA

Offers: Cambridge, LSE.

Well it definitely is not luck. Amazing results
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by bramz19
Awful lot of stereotyping in this post. Weren't expecting me to be reading Law at LSE just because you know me as a hip-hop head? No idea about the social life yet, I start on Sunday, but it's looking pretty live so far, again, don't believe the hype. The people I know who are going are all normal, down-to-earth people, although you're going to get your share of international snobs I guess. Where did you end up going and what do you study? (prepares to stereotype like a motherf*cker)

I was just making a little fun mate, don't be mad at me.:frown: I dunno where I'm going yet cause I'm just year 13, I'm thinking maybe Kings for Liberal Arts.
Hahaha, not very hard; I got an offer. It's a matter of grade inflation really. For internationals it is a little easier because our grading schemes are markedly different, and UK institutions still don't realise that a 3.8/4.0 is not that impressive in North American terms. I was shocked to see that they were only asking for a 3.5, and in some courses as low as 3.4, which is equivalent to a B where I'm from. In short, as an international, if you have the money and a decent grade, they'll likely take you. Now their standard for native Brits might be a different story.
Original post by bramz19
How could I be mad at my brother? Aye, come to London, it's much better down here. But Liberal Arts? Come on son, you can do better.

Ehh I don't know, it lets me bring together all the humanities and I don't really like narrowing myself so being able to do philosophy and literature and politics and film and sociology etc. in one degree seemed like a good idea. I'ma probs apply for Gov & Philosophy at LSE though, watch this space:cool:
Reply 44
I always cringe a bit when people say I got into LSE due to luck/lottery :tongue:

GCSE - 13A*'s

:s-smilie: man...those are awesome.

as you know i'm thinking applying lse, i've got the 12.5A* GCSE, but my as grades were eng lit 100%, Bio 95%, Hist 90%, and Chem 81%...is there any point :eek:
Original post by kanzaz
:s-smilie: man...those are awesome.

as you know i'm thinking applying lse, i've got the 12.5A* GCSE, but my as grades were eng lit 100%, Bio 95%, Hist 90%, and Chem 81%...is there any point :eek:

how can u have 12.5 a stars at gcse?
Is that the secret to your success.
I got 4 A*, 3A, 2B at GCSE. A levels AAA (they don't ask for percentages so not sure why that is relevant but 97% in Politics, 93% in History, 88% in English lit). I do IH. I do wonder whether IH is as hard to get into as other courses, although my fellow course mates have all been super studious and rather intelligent. Idk why the offer was so low though, ABB. Before I really knew about the reputation of LSE I assumed the department must suck for giving such a low average offer, any thoughts?
Reply 48
Original post by rtzj00
how can u have 12.5 a stars at gcse?

half course citizenship :colone:
Make sure you know which course you wish too apply for and whether or not you like the environment at the LSE.

Yes, you do need stellar GCSE grades as well as straight As in your AS exams and top grades predicted as a result for A2.

Your personal statement is pretty important for the LSE so make sure you take some time on it and look on their website for any tips and advice they offer on writing a good personal statement. And of course, find a teacher you know is gonna write you a banging reference or at least bum lick your head of year or something.

Then just hope for the best. If you dont get in, its not really the end of the world and I would rather study at Oxford or UCL than LSE anyway.
Original post by nerimon18

I would rather study at Oxford or UCL than LSE anyway.

Rejected by any chance :wink:
I meant in general. :facepalm:
Reply 52
Original post by X_mark_the_spot
Hahaha, not very hard; I got an offer. It's a matter of grade inflation really. For internationals it is a little easier because our grading schemes are markedly different, and UK institutions still don't realise that a 3.8/4.0 is not that impressive in North American terms. I was shocked to see that they were only asking for a 3.5, and in some courses as low as 3.4, which is equivalent to a B where I'm from. In short, as an international, if you have the money and a decent grade, they'll likely take you. Now their standard for native Brits might be a different story.

well, I have the money, not so sure about the grades, they're just a bit above average, I don't know how to translate them to the british grading but let's say I finished high school with 83% out of 100% as my final grade, which I know is not that impressive but is also not so bad if you actually consider which school I attended. I don't have that many extracurriculars either :s-smilie: (but I'm not sure if they're as important as they are for american universities) ..Not because I was lazy or anything, but because I spent almost every afternoon doing what I enjoyed the most (don't make fun of me), dancing ballet. But at least the few I have are related to International Relations which is the programme I'm applying to.. I guess the only thing left for me is to write a great PS and hope that it satisfies them

And yeees, please! If someone could tell me a bit about the social scene I'd appreciate it :biggrin:
Reply 53
i really hope lse doesn't choose average international applicants over good uk applicants, just for the money...cos that would suck bad lol
Reply 54
Original post by loki276

Original post by loki276
I got in so can't be ridiculously hard

What was your offer and final grades may I ask?
Reply 55
Original post by kanzaz
i really hope lse doesn't choose average international applicants over good uk applicants, just for the money...cos that would suck bad lol

life's not fair, is it?
Wanna practice :perv: ?
It's ok i love blood. It makes that distinct squishy sound which turns me on and makes me go faster!
Original post by bramz19
Awful lot of stereotyping in this post. Weren't expecting me to be reading Law at LSE just because you know me as a hip-hop head? No idea about the social life yet, I start on Sunday, but it's looking pretty live so far, again, don't believe the hype. The people I know who are going are all normal, down-to-earth people, although you're going to get your share of international snobs I guess. Where did you end up going and what do you study? (prepares to stereotype like a motherf*cker)

How are you finding it? I try not to listen to the stereotypes, but can't help wonder about the atmosphere from what I have heard. Also, if you don''t mind me asking - how is the university itself? (I missed the open day :frown:).

GCSE - 13A*'s

Can I ask why you choose LSE over Cambridge?
Original post by Perseverance
How are you finding it? I try not to listen to the stereotypes, but can't help wonder about the atmosphere from what I have heard. Also, if you don''t mind me asking - how is the university itself? (I missed the open day :frown:).

Can I ask why you choose LSE over Cambridge?

Sure..

1) Because the Law Dept. at LSE is better than Cambridge.

2) I want to go into IB/Private Equity, so LSE was the place to be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending