The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

how hard is it to get into LSE???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by X_mark_the_spot
Hahaha, not very hard; I got an offer. It's a matter of grade inflation really. For internationals it is a little easier because our grading schemes are markedly different, and UK institutions still don't realise that a 3.8/4.0 is not that impressive in North American terms. I was shocked to see that they were only asking for a 3.5, and in some courses as low as 3.4, which is equivalent to a B where I'm from. In short, as an international, if you have the money and a decent grade, they'll likely take you. Now their standard for native Brits might be a different story.

Not true at all. I seriously didn't knew that LSE gives offers to people who haven't slighest clue regarding it's own admission policies. You, my "dear", with all due respect, don't know what you are talking about.

There are thousands of applications from around the world, for what ? 600 places. And another 600 go to UK and EU students.

So tell me, what kind of mathematical logic are you using here?

Task for you : THOUSANDS of international applications from China, Latin-America, U.S., Canada, Russia, India, Middle East, Japan, South Korea, etc vs 600 places.

Tell me, how many do get an offer, according to you ? Or should I say, according to your fantasy.

I don't know what they ask of Americans but you should learn that America is NOT, I repeat , NOT 7 billion people, and will never be. A large porportion of international applicants are NOT American.

I had to give up applying to the LSE later this year, because, it is absolutely NOT easy to get an offer. Chances are so low that I consider it being a waste of space. I am more than qualified for the LSE , way above it's minimum entry requirements, but LSE ask us to sit a special exam, which is extremely hard. So it is NOT easy, and it is about time to bury this myth around international students. It's extremely hard to get an offer from LSE, no matter where you are from.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by ProsStudent28Int
Not true at all. I seriously didn't knew that LSE gives offers to people who haven't slighest clue regarding it's own admission policies. You, my "dear", with all due respect, don't know what you are talking about.

There are thousands of applications from around the world, for what ? 600 places. And another 600 go to UK and EU students.

So tell me, what kind of mathematical logic are you using here?

Task for you : THOUSANDS of international applications from China, Latin-America, U.S., Canada, Russia, India, Middle East, Japan, South Korea, etc vs 600 places.

Tell me, how many do get an offer, according to you ? Or should I say, according to your fantasy.

I don't know what they ask of Americans but you should learn that America is NOT, I repeat , NOT 7 billion people, and will never be. A large porportion of international applicants are NOT American.

I had to give up applying to the LSE later this year, because, it is absolutely NOT easy to get an offer. Chances are so low that I consider it being a waste of space. I am more than qualified for the LSE , way above it's minimum entry requirements, but LSE ask us to sit a special exam, which is extremely hard. So it is NOT easy, and it is about time to bury this myth around international students. It's extremely hard to get an offer from LSE, no matter where you are from.

The entry exams for the LSE are pretty standard, especially for graduate programmes, and the admission criteria are not rigourous or hard. I'm sorry that you missed your place, but I'm just telling it as it is. From my experience, compared to people trying to get into even second rate universities in North America, the LSE (and London unis for that matter) is comparatively easier as an international. It may just be that you're not as intelligent or qualified as you think you are. If you don't mind my asking, what exactly were your grades, degree and exam scores?

P.S. Your logical reasoning within this post gives a clue as to why you may have missed your; not all international students apply to the LSE, and the competition is just is hard for UK home students, if not more so. Moreover, many internationals who apply will not actually have even the minimum requirement for the programme, unlike UK applicants, who usually apply with minimum A-level/degree classification in mind. Therefore, their numbers speak nothing of the actual viable candidates who are considered. Different programmes have different quotas, and therefore different levels of difficulty in admissions, so it bears determining which programme I'm speaking of before calling my statement a "fantasy". Lastly, North America is not America. I'm not American :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Very hard if you apply, impossible if you don't :smile:
Original post by X_mark_the_spot
The entry exams for the LSE are pretty standard, especially for graduate programmes, and the admission criteria are not rigourous or hard. I'm sorry that you missed your place, but I'm just telling it as it is. From my experience, compared to people trying to get into even second rate universities in North America, the LSE (and London unis for that matter) is comparatively easier as an international. It may just be that you're not as intelligent or qualified as you think you are. If you don't mind my asking, what exactly were your grades, degree and exam scores?

P.S. Your logical reasoning within this post gives a clue as to why you may have missed your; not all international students apply to the LSE, and the competition is just is hard for UK home students, if not more so. Moreover, many internationals who apply will not actually have even the minimum requirement for the programme, unlike UK applicants, who usually apply with minimum A-level/degree classification in mind. Therefore, their numbers speak nothing of the actual viable candidates who are considered. Different programmes have different quotas, and therefore different levels of difficulty in admissions, so it bears determining which programme I'm speaking of before calling my statement a "fantasy". Lastly, North America is not America. I'm not American :wink:

Again, I didn't knew that LSE give offers to people who can't even read, that would be you, complaining about international students. It seems to me it's the other way around, they are letting UK/EU-applicants in as you who can't even read a post or doesn't have the slightest clue regarding LSE admission criteria.

First of all, I DID NOT "miss" any place, how can I miss a place when I even haven't applied yet? As I have already told you that in my last post which clearly states that "I have given up applying LATER this year", because I consider it being a waste of space" - now tell me, what don't you understand from what I said in my previous post ?

Again, you are comparing ALL international students with the U.S. What's with this American FETISH you are having ? Can you leave it alone for a second ?

I am more than qualified, even LSE told me to apply, but I don't want to, it is a waste of space, it's not easy. Competition is intense and no one can say that it is easy.

You don't have any experience regarding this at all, besides going around and thinking that half of LSE does NOT deserve to be there. Which is a very arrogant attitude.

Thousands of international students do apply for 600 places at LSE, that is a fact, because LSE recieves over 16,000 to 17,000 applications, and you don't need to be Einstein to figure out that they recieve thousands of applications from international students.

And then there is as I have mentioned , several thousands EU and UK students who compete for another 600 places.

I NEVER said, and stop being desperate, that it is easier for UK/EU to get in, what I am saying, and what is also the truth, is that it is hard for BOTH UK and Internationals to get in.

Because YOU are the one telling others that it is very easy for internationals to get in, which is a load of BS.

You statement is a fantasy, because LSE does not let anyone in with anything below entry requirements, and not even with minimum requirements, because , once again, there are THOUSANDS of international applicants each year for those 600 places which will be given to internationals.

I don't know why you like to spread lies, maybe it makes you feel better.

It's actually funny in a tragic kind of way, that you think there are two types of students - the ones who "deserve" to be there and the ones who "don't" - based on your prejudice and jealousy.

And again, who said you are American? I don't know why you mention that, I am talking about your FETISH for American entry requirements, which are by the way wrong, U.S. High School diploma and SAT are not enough for entry at LSE.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ProsStudent28Int
Again, I didn't knew that LSE give offers to people who can't even read, that would be you, complaining about international students. It seems to me it's the other way around, they are letting UK/EU-applicants in as you who can't even read a post or doesn't have the slightest clue regarding LSE admission criteria.

First of all, I DID NOT "miss" any place, how can I miss a place when I even haven't applied yet? As I have already told you that in my last post which clearly states that "I have given up applying LATER this year", because I consider it being a waste of space" - now tell me, what don't you understand from what I said in my previous post ?

Again, you are comparing ALL international students with the U.S. What's with this American FETISH you are having ? Can you leave it alone for a second ?

I am more than qualified, even LSE told me to apply, but I don't want to, it is a waste of space, it's not easy. Competition is intense and no one can say that it is easy.

You don't have any experience regarding this at all, besides going around and thinking that half of LSE does NOT deserve to be there. Which is a very arrogant attitude.

Thousands of international students do apply for 600 places at LSE, that is a fact, because LSE recieves over 16,000 to 17,000 applications, and you don't need to be Einstein to figure out that they recieve thousands of applications from international students.

And then there is as I have mentioned , several thousands EU and UK students who compete for another 600 places.

I NEVER said, and stop being desperate, that it is easier for UK/EU to get in, what I am saying, and what is also the truth, is that it is hard for BOTH UK and Internationals to get in.

Because YOU are the one telling others that it is very easy for internationals to get in, which is a load of BS.

You statement is a fantasy, because LSE does not let anyone in with anything below entry requirements, and not even with minimum requirements, because , once again, there are THOUSANDS of international applicants each year for those 600 places which will be given to internationals.

I don't know why you like to spread lies, maybe it makes you feel better.

It's actually funny in a tragic kind of way, that you think there are two types of students - the ones who "deserve" to be there and the ones who "don't" - based on your prejudice and jealousy.

And again, who said you are American? I don't know why you mention that, I am talking about your FETISH for American entry requirements, which are by the way wrong, U.S. High School diploma and SAT are not enough for entry at LSE.

Lol, I don't even know how to sift through that convoluted diatribe, or why you're so angry for that matter. My statements reflect my experiences, and if yours are different, feel free to say so. However, your reality does not invalidate mine, and I found the LSE to be the easiest of the options that I applied for. Anyway, good luck with your application then...sounds like you'll need it. And why would I be jealous? I'm already in where I wanted; I don't envy those who haven't even ventured to apply.
Reply 65
it is less competitive than when i joined... the school has boosted its undergrad headcount by inventing new degrees, and because of fees I presume poorer students like me will be put off applying all together in the future.

regarding grades I only got 1 a* at gcse so luck definitely counts ;D
Reply 66
Hey I'm from France, and I'd also like to get into LSE for a MSc Organisational and Social Psychology.
I have good grades
no GRE for me
what extracurricular activities do i need to have?

is it really that hard to get in?
even with an excellent SOP?
Original post by yahyahyahs
Piss easy provided they met the entry requirements then?

AAA for UK students, or IB38+ with English 7 for international students. These students will be in qualify in the polls and start over. Rejected letters will send to them when their applications were not selected.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by nmerteuil
life's not fair, is it?

Money is NOT the selected criteria because LSE already assume you have enough money at the time you apply to study there.

The students go LSE must not only be very good but must be super good.
Reply 69
Do you think you can get in to London school of economics with these gcse grades
English literature and language: CC
maths: B
Science: BB
Art:AA
Pe: AA
Re: A*
Textiles: A
Drama: A
Turkish: A

Also getting AAAA in alevel
Original post by loki276
I got in so can't be ridiculously hard

What sort of things did you write in your PS?
Reply 71
GCSEs were 1 A 4 B's and 4 C's
Predictions: A*AAB
Applying for International Relations and History

My GCSEs arent good but I have a doctor's note with a reason do you think I still have a chance?
Reply 72
I applied to UK schools after a year in the US at Johns Hopkins because I was tired of all the core curriculum and distribution classes you have to take outside your major - but anyways. I received an unconditional offer at Oxford for PPL at LMH and was flatly rejected by LSE, so I don't really understand LSE. Crazy world we live in.
Could you please send me your mail id? I'm trying for my daughter. I'm from India
LSE's admission criteria would also vary quite sharply depending on the course. I got an offer from Cambridge and LSE for undergrad and went off to Cambridge and returned to LSE for masters in Economics.

As LSE don't interview candidates, they do seem to rely a lot more on your grades but I was quite surprised by the quality of students depending on the course, it seems to vary quite significantly.
well what if ur just smart
Original post by loki276
I got in so can't be ridiculously hard

What GCSE grades did you get?
Reply 77
Hello everyone. I'm planning to apply for Msc Human Resources and I meet all the requirements for the course. Giving your GMAT score is optional and I wanted to to know whether it would affect my application. I'm an international student with GPA of 8.7/10 and have one year experience as a HR generalist. Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending