The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Maths/MORSE/Stats applicants and questions 2012

Thought I'd amalgamate all these MORSE/Maths and similar degree question threads together. Enjoy :h:

If you're heading to Warwick and are doing Maths or a maths related degree, why not join the Maths year group on Facebook? It might help in the future when you have troubles with assignments/exam preparation, or just course stuff in general.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was reading the FAQs (on the Maths website) and came across this:

The entry requirements for GLN0/G0L0 are quite different from the entry requirements for G100 and G103; it is unwise to apply to both because the Statistics Admissions Tutor (who is responsible for MORSE admissions) would be likely to reject your application.

If you applied for both MORSE and Maths, why would it be likely that the Statistics admission tutors would reject your application? Surely your application would be treated just as equally as the others (those who didn't applu for Maths)? I know it's harder to get an offer for MORSE than for Maths...but do the Maths and Statistics admission tutors talk to each other?

I was under the impression if an applicant applied for MORSE, the maths admission tutors wouldn't be aware of it, and vice versa.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by Ree69

The entry requirements for GLN0/G0L0 are quite different from the entry requirements for G100 and G103; it is unwise to apply to both because the Statistics Admissions Tutor (who is responsible for MORSE admissions) would be likely to reject your application.

If you applied for both MORSE and Maths, why would it be likely that the Statistics admission tutors would reject your application? Surely your application would be treated just as equally as the others (those who didn't applu for Maths)? I know it's harder to get an offer for MORSE than for Maths...but do the Maths and Statistics admission tutors talk to each other?

I was under the impression if an applicant applied for MORSE, the maths admission tutors wouldn't be aware of it, and vice versa.

:holmes: It's possible for them to talk to one another - they're in the same building which is pretty free flowing. Whether they will sift through 2000 applications in each department for duplicates?? If you want to find out more info probably drop an email to [email protected] and also the Stats or Maths departments via [email protected] and [email protected] to confirm whether this is true or not.

I know cazzy-joe applied for both MORSE and Maths and got offers from both.

cazzy-joe
x

Yeah, I know you're switching though :p:
Reply 3
I applied for both MORSE and Math as well, and received both offers.

That being said, it is entirely possible to switch between (M)Math and (M)MORSE in your first year (and perhaps second/third year, depending on the modules you take), so it would be wise to apply for one course only, and focus your personal statement appropriately :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Ree69

No, totally not true...I applied for both Maths and MORSE and I got offers for both:biggrin::biggrin:

But in my case I did not apply to both at the same time i.e. in October I applied for 4 courses which includes MORSE at Warwick and the rest 3 was straight maths but then I got rejected by one of the universities for maths so I applied to Warwick for Maths G103 as my fifth choice in January......but I'm sure time of application is not the case here..

Also, my personal statement was based 100% on maths but I applied to MORSE because I wanted it as my insurance...:biggrin::biggrin:

And in MORSE thread or so...I have read many applicants mentioned that if you are being called for interview it basically means you have got the offers:tongue: but I didn't attend the interview though as I'm an internatonal applicant.:biggrin::biggrin:

So over all...yes you can apply for both and receive offers from both..:biggrin:

Original post by Narev

That being said, it is entirely possible to switch between (M)Math and (M)MORSE in your first year (and perhaps second/third year, depending on the modules you take), so it would be wise to apply for one course only, and focus your personal statement appropriately :smile:

I think this is true for switching courses because I have talked to a person who did MMORSE at Warwick and she mentioned that after first year MORSE student can switch to maths if they want as you will be taking classes from maths, stats department as well as WBS.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Narev

Original post by cazzy-joe
I think this is true for switching courses because I have talked to a person who did MMORSE at Warwick and she mentioned that after first year MORSE student can switch to maths if they want as you will be taking classes from maths, stats department as well as WBS.

I'd imagine it being a little tricky switching between courses. I would've though it being a bit of a pain switching from MORSE to maths - for the simple reason that the UCAS offer hasn't been met for the maths critera (morse is considerably easier to get). On the other hand, i'd had thought maths to morse would be hard as well as the stats department are a bit 'picky' of who they give out offers to....whereas pretty anyone can get a maths offer

wait...are you switching from maths to morse cazzy-joe?
Reply 6
To be able to switch courses, you must have done the core modules of the other course, and get a relatively high mark (2:1) standard in these modules.

Since MORSE and Math share most common first year modules, then to switch from:

Math to MORSE - do Probability B, Mathematical Programming 1, Introduction to Quantitative Economics in first year
MORSE to Math - do Introduction to Abstract Algebra, Differential Equations A, Geometry and Motion in first year

This is also probably why the MORSE entry requirement is now shifting to match Math's entry requirement.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Narev
To be able to switch courses, you must have done the core modules of the other course, and get a relatively high mark (2:1) standard in these modules.

Since MORSE and Math share most common first year modules, then to switch from:

Math to MORSE - do Probability B, Mathematical Programming 1, Introduction to Quantitative Economics in first year
MORSE to Math - do Introduction to Abstract Algebra, Differential Equations A, Geometry and Motion in first year

This is also probably why the MORSE entry requirement is now shifting to match Math's entry requirement.

Wait what...the MORSE entry requirement is now changing to match the Maths' entry requirement? Where did you get the information from? That really is depressing! I've heard of MORSE applicants getting in without studying further maths a-level!
Reply 8
Hm. Not studying Further Maths A level could be made up by doing STEP / AEA, if I'm not mistaken.
Reply 9
Predicted A*(Maths) A(Further Maths) A(Economics) and planning on doing STEP/AEA, will I get an offer for MORSE at Warwick?

Thanks
Reply 10
Original post by Mathssss
Predicted A*(Maths) A(Further Maths) A(Economics) and planning on doing STEP/AEA, will I get an offer for MORSE at Warwick?

Thanks

What a silly question.

Your predicted grades obviously meet the typical offer. It now comes down to other things - PS, GCSEs, Reference and a bit of luck.

No one on here, unless they are Warwick admissions staff, can answer your question.

If it was something like Maths or Maths & Economics where in my day they gave everyone who met the minimum requirements an offer, then we may be more certain about the outcome. Since it's MORSE, it's a different story if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks

AS Grades? You might get an offer, apparently they're far less lenient with offers for MORSE plus you will be competing with many international applicants. They interview around half the applicants.
Reply 12
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
AS Grades? You might get an offer, apparently they're far less lenient with offers for MORSE plus you will be competing with many international applicants. They interview around half the applicants.

AS Grades were A(Maths) A(Economics) B(Further Maths - 4UMS off A) B(Chemistry).
Reply 13
Original post by n_251
What a silly question.

Your predicted grades obviously meet the typical offer. It now comes down to other things - PS, GCSEs, Reference and a bit of luck.

No one on here, unless they are Warwick admissions staff, can answer your question.

If it was something like Maths or Maths & Economics where in my day they gave everyone who met the minimum requirements an offer, then we may be more certain about the outcome. Since it's MORSE, it's a different story if I'm not mistaken.

I wouldn't mind doing Maths & Economics as well, would it be a good idea to apply to both Maths & Economics and MORSE?
I wouldn't mind doing Maths & Economics as well, would it be a good idea to apply to both Maths & Economics and MORSE?

Nope, Warwick do not advise applying for two courses. If I was you I'd go with MORSE, Maths & Economics wouldn't have the same policy as the normal maths, since it would have to go through both departments, and AABB for Warwick, where economics is highly rated wouldn't be such a good choice I would have thought.
Reply 15
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Nope, Warwick do not advise applying for two courses. If I was you I'd go with MORSE, Maths & Economics wouldn't have the same policy as the normal maths, since it would have to go through both departments, and AABB for Warwick, where economics is highly rated wouldn't be such a good choice I would have thought.

Does it say on the website that it doesn't advise applying for two courses and on the website it has Maths & Economics down as the Maths department.
Does it say on the website that it doesn't advise applying for two courses and on the website it has Maths & Economics down as the Maths department.

Obviously, else I wouldn't have told you. I had originally planned to apply for both MMORSE and Maths.
Original post by Ree69
I'd imagine it being a little tricky switching between courses. I would've though it being a bit of a pain switching from MORSE to maths - for the simple reason that the UCAS offer hasn't been met for the maths critera (morse is considerably easier to get). On the other hand, i'd had thought maths to morse would be hard as well as the stats department are a bit 'picky' of who they give out offers to....whereas pretty anyone can get a maths offer

wait...are you switching from maths to morse cazzy-joe?

Yeahh..It can be a bit hectic for switching and all...but also remember that while anyone can get maths offer but how many people actually meets its requirements especially those STEP/AEA conditions--these aren't easy at all..?? whereas for morse for those who receive offers, there is more chance of meeting its requirements....

I, myself, have firmed maths Warwick and insured MORSE which is also from Warwick.
TBH after my STEP and AEA exams I was pretty screwed as my maths offer requires one of these and I was so sure that I flopped both of them whereas MORSE offer doesn't include one (MORSE needs merit in AEA with AAB in other 3 subjects or A*AA without AEA/STEP). But turns out I got 2 in STEP1 and U in STEP2 so I got accepted for maths.

Nope..I'm switching from maths to chemistry:p:p
Reason : I don't actually want to study maths at university:frown::frown:
Reply 18
I'm applying to both MMORSE and Maths & Stats.

REALLY want an offer from MMORSE, literally the perfect course for me!
Reply 19
Original post by cazzy-joe
Yeahh..It can be a bit hectic for switching and all...but also remember that while anyone can get maths offer but how many people actually meets its requirements especially those STEP/AEA conditions--these aren't easy at all..?? whereas for morse for those who receive offers, there is more chance of meeting its requirements....

I, myself, have firmed maths Warwick and insured MORSE which is also from Warwick.
TBH after my STEP and AEA exams I was pretty screwed as my maths offer requires one of these and I was so sure that I flopped both of them whereas MORSE offer doesn't include one (MORSE needs merit in AEA with AAB in other 3 subjects or A*AA without AEA/STEP). But turns out I got 2 in STEP1 and U in STEP2 so I got accepted for maths.

Nope..I'm switching from maths to chemistry:p:p
Reason : I don't actually want to study maths at university:frown::frown:

Yeah, embarrassingly enough I got an offer for MORSE last year (for 2011 entry) but missed it - I got A*A*BB. I'm not sure how good it'll look retaking and then reapplying but y'know, I really am desperate to do MORSE! I'll email the admission guys soon... The only hope I have is that I think the maths department give out offers to resit applicants and then hopefully i can meet that and then transfer to morse. That's why I'm thinking of applying to both...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending