The Student Room Group

Taxi allowance

I have a taxi allowance as part of DSA and I've spoken to 2 different people at student finance who've given me 2 different answers. One person told me I had to find a taxi company, email the DSA team their details so they can set up an account. This made me panic because I phoned on Friday and started yesterday! I used public transport but it was just too much and lectures start next week, so I need to sort out taxis asap. I phoned again today and they told me all I needed to do was get invoices and send off my 'claim for reimbursement of costs through DSA' form. This would be my preferred option because it's easier and quicker but I'm worried I'll pay out for the taxis and DSA will tell me this was not the right way to go about things.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you.
Reply 1
Iwas told that they would only reimburse the difference between public transport costs and taxi costs. So for each journey public transport costs had to be acquired and submitted with the taxi invoice and the difference reimbursed. It is done termly of course.
Reply 2
On my report, they said I only need to contribute £2 and have quoted the return journey at £45 but I've spoken to several taxi companies who've quoted me between £25 and £30! So confused.
Reply 3
It's not hard honest, if I can do it anyone can!! Firstly the recommendation letter will tell you what the average cost of journey they will pay. In my case it's £90 return. You ring around and find out which taxi firms will do the job and get there details. Email the dsa team with details and they will set up payments to the taxi company .

You are expected to contribute out of your own pocket. This would be the cost of how much it'd cost to get to campus by public transport, this is what any student would pay. In my case it would be by train so that costs £7.20/return, I have 3 journeys to and from campus thefore my contribution is £21.60 a week.

Hope that helps?
Reply 4
I actually phoned my access centre and very glad I did because they have their own company they use. They got the taxi company to call me and set up my account there. Glad I didn't listen to student finance on the phone!
Reply 5
Original post by crashdoll
On my report, they said I only need to contribute £2 and have quoted the return journey at £45 but I've spoken to several taxi companies who've quoted me between £25 and £30! So confused.
I also agree with you.
Comcab rang me when my assessment was accepted. So I would try them because they are always used for disabled children I'm schools

Latest