The Student Room Group

Psychology Chat Thread

For current/future/past Psychology students to chat about whatever. There are so many psychology students around that I thought it would be nice to chat to other students.

So feel free to introduce yourself and chat away!

Anyone going into 2nd year?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There is already a psychology society but it is not very active. Feel free to get things started up again. :smile:
Reply 2
Ah no wonder I couldn't find it... It's not in the university forum :/
I just dropped out of a Law degree and am looking to re-apply to University to study Psychology.

I'm looking mainly at Birmingham and Sheffield, does anyone have any opinions on either? I know both are well ranked in the league tables.

Also, I'm really interested in Social Psychology. Does anyone know any courses which have a decent emphasis on Social Psychology?

Replies appreciated.
Reply 4
Original post by Maicccccmannnn
I just dropped out of a Law degree and am looking to re-apply to University to study Psychology.

I'm looking mainly at Birmingham and Sheffield, does anyone have any opinions on either? I know both are well ranked in the league tables.

Also, I'm really interested in Social Psychology. Does anyone know any courses which have a decent emphasis on Social Psychology?

Replies appreciated.

I would make a new thread asking which departments are better for soc psych...this way more people will see your question. :smile:
Original post by Bluth.
I would make a new thread asking which departments are better for soc psych...this way more people will see your question. :smile:

Thanks, will do.
Reply 6
Not looking forward to my dissertation this year.:frown:
Reply 7
Original post by bruce_t89
Not looking forward to my dissertation this year.:frown:

I'm half looking forward and half dreading mine! Not that I know what it's on yet...
What's yours about?
Reply 8
Original post by Bluth.
I'm half looking forward and half dreading mine! Not that I know what it's on yet...
What's yours about?

Faults in the mirror neuron system underlies social deficits and abnormal behaviours in schizophrenia.

Yours?
Reply 9
Faults in the mirror neuron system underlies social deficits and abnormal behaviours in schizophrenia.

Yours?

Ooo how are you doing that? I don't even know my options yet.
Reply 10
Original post by Bluth.
Ooo how are you doing that? I don't even know my options yet.

Not sure what methods I'm going to use yet, but I love the topic (my cup of tea). I'm just dreading the workload.

Really, have you not got your supervisor yet?
Reply 11
Nope, will get a list of suggestions some time next week and then sign up for supervisors when term starts.

So do you know if your project is possible equipment wise?
Reply 12

Yours?

That sounds sooo interesting!
Reply 13

Replies appreciated.

Both Brum and Sheff have great departments, especially Brum. I think they're both pretty sciencey though. As Bluth said, you'd be better off starting a specific thread as you'll get more detailed answers. Feel free to email departments or have a look at department websites and check the course content.
Original post by skotch
Both Brum and Sheff have great departments, especially Brum. I think they're both pretty sciencey though. As Bluth said, you'd be better off starting a specific thread as you'll get more detailed answers. Feel free to email departments or have a look at department websites and check the course content.

Yeah actually have looked at course content and emailed and none seem to be very social-psyc based...
Reply 15
Yeah actually have looked at course content and emailed and none seem to be very social-psyc based...

Maybe try applying for Sociology instead of Psychology if you're only interested in the social side of things?
Reply 16
Original post by skotch
That sounds sooo interesting!

Thanks, I've got a fantastic topic and also a great supervisor which is an added bonus. What's yours about (if you're in your final year)?
Reply 17
I've already done a year of psychology but looking to transfer now...

Anyone know of any good unis that accept transfers? Sheffeild have already said no, Birmingham and UCL say they don't on their sites. Anywhere else?
Reply 18
Thanks, I've got a fantastic topic and also a great supervisor which is an added bonus. What's yours about (if you're in your final year)?

I'm going into 2nd year, so still a while yet before I decide what I want to do. I'm very much a science-y guy and interested in neurology, brain scanning and disorders, but to be honest, everything about Psychology interests me.

How did you decide?
Reply 19
Original post by Uzzy?
I've already done a year of psychology but looking to transfer now...

Anyone know of any good unis that accept transfers? Sheffeild have already said no, Birmingham and UCL say they don't on their sites. Anywhere else?

Royal Holloway, Kent and Essex accept transfers.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest