The Student Room Group

5 AS levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amwazicles
At my college, they assume people will do three, some people do four and only the highest GCSE achievers do five. There isn't even an option to do any more than that.

3 AS levels? I though practically everyone did 4. Then people with Further Maths will do 5.
Original post by fudgesundae
3 AS levels? I though practically everyone did 4. Then people with Further Maths will do 5.

Lots of people at my college are only starting three :s-smilie: :/ Although the majority are definitely doing 4. I don't get how there can be so much variation between schools, whereabouts do you live? How many hours of lessons do you do per week per AS?
Lots of people at my college are only starting three :s-smilie: :/ Although the majority are definitely doing 4. I don't get how there can be so much variation between schools, whereabouts do you live? How many hours of lessons do you do per week per AS?

south east england. and I am in school the whole week. So 8:45-4 every day. And it's 4-5 hours a week worth of lessons per subject. I go to a private school so that might explain why we do so much work.
At my college, they assume people will do three, some people do four and only the highest GCSE achievers do five. There isn't even an option to do any more than that.

But what can you do with only 3? Or do you mean A Levels? I mean everybody should have at least four subjects he can cope with, otherwise I shouldn't blame people you just do as much A Levels as they can cope without leading them to University.
Reply 64
Original post by meatzaper
wrong with maths futher maths and the sciences the OP could do pretty much any course

Like I said I wasn't sure, just I know a few people who had been warned about it but I'm not 100% sure what courses they were looking at.
Original post by Nathanielle
But what can you do with only 3? Or do you mean A Levels? I mean everybody should have at least four subjects he can cope with, otherwise I shouldn't blame people you just do as much A Levels as they can cope without leading them to University.

The majority do 4 AS and 3 A2, but there are lots of people only starting 3 AS. :s-smilie:

I'm not sure if I understood that second sentence :confused: :/
Original post by fudgesundae
south east england. and I am in school the whole week. So 8:45-4 every day. And it's 4-5 hours a week worth of lessons per subject. I go to a private school so that might explain why we do so much work.

Wow, that is certainly a lot, I guess the private school thing might make sense..
The majority do 4 AS and 3 A2, but there are lots of people only starting 3 AS. :s-smilie:

I'm not sure if I understood that second sentence :confused: :/

I meant, that it might look like, I think people who aren't able to go to a good University (where sucessfull applying with just 3 AS Levels would be the exception), shouldn't do A Levels anyway.
Original post by Nathanielle
I meant, that it might look like, I think people who aren't able to go to a good University (where sucessfull applying with just 3 AS Levels would be the exception), shouldn't do A Levels anyway.

But A-levels can help get jobs even without a degree, so they're still relevant?
But A-levels can help get jobs even without a degree, so they're still relevant?

Depends probabaly on the A Level subject. (I forget there exist other subjects than Latin, History, Math...:colondollar:) My personal opinion is that the structure of A Levels doesn't give you a suitable preperation to begin work right after without any further education. (That shouldn't mean, you need to get a university degree. In addition I have to admit, that I know little about the UK apprenticeship system, only that it isn't very developed, from what I know.)

Of course A Levels are relevant for your own education, so everybody who enjoys History and has the grades to do A Levels, should do it, as he wants do, even if he didn't have any wish to go to university.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by master y
Wow!! which med school are you going too? (I too want to do medicine). :smile:

I have been away from TSR for a long tome so excuse the lateness lol.

I got into UCL.

This might be a bit late, but if you need any help or advice, just pm me:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest