The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

St Edmund's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Someone here got in to St Edmunds College?
Course?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Which St.Edmunds.?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
St Edmunds College in Cambridge.
Not that I know of. It's a mature college isn't it? Start a Facebook and see :smile:
Reply 4
I am going there;P
If I get in^^
nice to know you
Reply 5
Hey Guys!

Come join the Facebook group of Eddie's freshers!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=269678034271&ref=ts

xxx
Hi there.

Is there anybody out there thinking of applying to St Edmund's for 2012 entry? Also are there any current St Edmund's students on here who might be able to give me a bit more insight into what the college is like? Thanks.
Reply 7
One of my friends is at St Edmunds. You have to pay the kitchen fixed charge each term, and it's not a very rich college so there aren't many grants (for undergraduate students at least).

Plus her director of studies was a PhD student, which is never a good idea...
Original post by dd4483
One of my friends is at St Edmunds. You have to pay the kitchen fixed charge each term, and it's not a very rich college so there aren't many grants (for undergraduate students at least).

Plus her director of studies was a PhD student, which is never a good idea...

I knew about it not being rich infact I think I'm right in saying that it's the poorest with an endowment of approx £7million? Compared to Trinity's gosh.

DoS a PHD student? hmmm. As I said before a place at Cambridge is better than no place at Cambridge right?
Reply 9
I was at St Ed's - graduated this year - and found it great. My DoS was a fellow of another college, and St Ed's, being a small college, was an extremely friiendly place to be. I enjoyed my time there immensely.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to pm me.

Mike
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
I knew about it not being rich infact I think I'm right in saying that it's the poorest with an endowment of approx £7million? Compared to Trinity's gosh.

DoS a PHD student? hmmm. As I said before a place at Cambridge is better than no place at Cambridge right?

Hmm yeah I see your point there. It's definitely better (as a mature student) to apply to a mature college and put up with 1 or 2 problems than say apply to Trinity and not get in at all. However, as an undergraduate at a mature college, sometimes I can't help but feel that I'm missing out on the whole Cambridge 'experience'.

If you want to avoid having a PhD student as your DoS, you can look at the Cambridge website which tells you the DoS's for all the colleges. That or you could email them anonymously to check. The PhD student my friend had as her DoS really was rubbish though - I had the misfortune of having supervisions with him.

In some ways mature students are lucky as they have the option of mature colleges - if you look at the stats, you have a much greater chance of getting into a mature college than a standard age one.
Reply 11
Hi hello.
Is anyone studying at st edmund's college now?
How is the atmosphere?
Are there many undergraduate students who are in their early 20s?
Original post by googole
Hi hello.
Is anyone studying at st edmund's college now?
How is the atmosphere?
Are there many undergraduate students who are in their early 20s?

I am wondering the same.. will you visit during open day?
I just recently got accepted into St. Edmund's. Does anyone, perhaps, have any opinion on the atmosphere and living facilities there? How is its reputation with other students? I'm a postgraduate student and hope I didn't pick the wrong college! Any insight would greatly helpful!
Reply 16
Just wanted to say that I'll be at St. Edmunds starting this October :smile:
What made you choose St. Edmunds?
Reply 18
Original post by DeathDealer
What made you choose St. Edmunds?

It was my second choice, but my first choice of the graduate colleges. I have read up about it and it seems to be a nice atmosphere, small, and people have enjoyed attending - I didn't like the look of Wolfson or Hughes. Darwin looks very good too though.

I hope I enjoy it - I must say it will be nice not being constantly around the 18-20 year olds. Being around your peers lend itself to getting better advice and discussing problems / generally having a good time.
I'm coming to St Edmund's too in October....can't wait.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending