The Student Room Group

The Cornish National Liberation Army - thoughts ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Nothing will happen because Britain is a developed Country

Had Britain been a poor country, with a divided society , poor law and order and a hostile International Corporation

they would've funded the CNLA
Reply 21
Original post by Einheri
Fixed. You know those Welshy-types . . . :ahee:

Cornwall is not in Wales.
Reply 22
Original post by teg
Cornwall is not in Wales.

No but they are ethnically, historically, culturally and (up until recently) linguistically Brythonic hence "Welshy".
Reply 23
Original post by Einheri
No but they are ethnically, historically, culturally and (up until recently) linguistically Brythonic hence "Welshy".

Sadly Cornwall hardly has any preserved steam railways, therefore comparing them to the Welsh is both inaccurate and blashemphous...
Reply 24
Original post by teg
Sadly Cornwall hardly has any preserved steam railways, therefore comparing them to the Welsh is both inaccurate and blashemphous...

What has that got to do with anything? The Cornish are to the Welsh as the Scots are to the Irish.
Original post by Einheri
What has that got to do with anything? The Cornish are to the Welsh as the Scots are to the Irish.

Different peoples?
Reply 26
Original post by mikeylawson
Is there such a thing? Let me say that I'm Devonian. We share a border with Cornwall and if these guys try to take over, we will storm it Uruk-Hai style.

well when you storm across the english countryside, let me say that i'm Warwickshirian and when you guys try to take over the whole country we'll batter you Ent style.

:wink:
I actually know someone...
Beyond spraying railway bridges they don't do much. Oh we have a few cornish nationalist councillors
Reply 28
Original post by Studentrepreneur
Different peoples?

Indo-European:
Celtic:
-> Gaelic: Irish, Scots, Manx
-> Brythonic: Welsh, Cornish

Different but closely related peoples. Understand? :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by teg

Quality post! Laughed my arse off
Reply 30
Original post by lonelykatana
Quality post! Laughed my arse off

Why thank you sir.

I do actually recall hearing on wikipedia that the CNLA was planning to make 2008 'an interesting year' for the English occupying forces. Somehow I can't remeber that myself.
Original post by Einheri
Indo-European:
Celtic:

No. I don't dabble in medieval racial/linguistic groups.
Reply 32
Original post by Studentrepreneur
No. I don't dabble in medieval racial/linguistic groups.

Well, the Cornish evidently do.
Reply 33
Original post by Einheri

You're treading on very, very thin ice there, squire. :colonhash:
Reply 34
Original post by Einheri
Indo-European:
Celtic:

If you're talking about languages (that's the context in which those terms are usually used) then Scots certainly does not belong in Gaelic. Scots is a germanic language closely related to English, some people don't even consider it a separate language. Scottish Gaelic is what it should say.

Plus Scotland wasn't purely gaelic anyway. Scotland was formed from several ethnic groups, although they were mostly celtic.
I live in Devon and Cornwall's "nationalism" is something of a schoolyard joke here.

Giving Cornwall full independence would be like giving everyone a million pounds: reckless and inevitably going to fail.

Cornwall has some of the biggest problems in the UK, they will ruin themselves under independence.
Original post by Einheri
Indo-European:
Celtic:

Good post, is Breton a Brythonic?
Original post by AspiringGenius

Yes.
Reply 38
Original post by L i b
You're treading on very, very thin ice there, squire. :colonhash:

In what way? All I'm saying is that they're ethnically, culturally and linguistically related to eachother in the same way that the Irish and Scots are related to eachother - I could have said Germans and Dutch, English and Frisians, or Danes and Swedes if that is in some way less offensive.

Original post by Psyk
If you're talking about languages (that's the context in which those terms are usually used) then Scots certainly does not belong in Gaelic. Scots is a germanic language closely related to English, some people don't even consider it a separate language. Scottish Gaelic is what it should say.

Plus Scotland wasn't purely gaelic anyway. Scotland was formed from several ethnic groups, although they were mostly celtic.

The language can be called Scots Gaelic, there's nothing wrong with that. And considering I put "Scots" under the heading of Gaelic it's pretty obvious that I'm referring to Scots Gaelic. I was referring to ethnicity (at least as it is perceived) and shared culture as well as language.

Original post by AspiringGenius

Yes. Brittany was settled by Brythonic peoples.
(edited 12 years ago)
Craig D Are you for real? Swallowing English propaganda whilst waving your Irish flag! We want independance because we are NOT ENGLISH -end of. No real culture - how dare you. My family didnt even speak English a few generations back. Did you know that you were denied work in the mines if you spoke Cornish? Or that schoolchildren were beaten and had signs hung round their necks for speaking Cornish, as were the Welsh? 200,000 people identify themselves as Cornish and request Cornish be taught to OUR Cornish children, but are ignored, even though European laws have been passed acknowledging our minority status. Prince Charles, Duke of (supposedly non- existant) Cornwall, complained the £19 million profit he made from Cornwall was £2m down from last year, whilst we live in poverty amongst wealthy 2nd home owners. I could go on & on but your not interested in the truth are you? Divide and rule eh? Thanks for your support 'Irish'man.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending