The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Anyone applying to UCL without a language GCSE?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Dammit I should have said I was half italian!

Did you get an offer?

Hahahahha all distant "multicultural" statements about yourself. Hey my great great great grandad was Dutch. HOW'S THAT UCL?

I have not got an offer no hahahahha. Still waiting my friend, still waiting. How abouts you? :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by aaronbenham
Hahahahha all distant "multicultural" statements about yourself. Hey my great great great grandad was Dutch. HOW'S THAT UCL?

I have not got an offer no hahahahha. Still waiting my friend, still waiting. How abouts you? :smile:

Nope still waiting. :moon:
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Nope still waiting. :moon:

Have you heard anything since?
I recieved an offer (or an email telling me they are going to offer me a place when the admissions secretary gets back from holiday) a couple of days ago after my application was "handed to the Dean" for further inspection.
I was honest in mine and said that the timetabling structure didn't allow me to study both french and history, and that at the time I wanted to do history at uni
Reply 44
This has kinda put my mind at ease reading other people's posts, I was about to choose French at GCSE but didn't really enjoy it, I was about to ask my school if I could sit a GCSE on my native language but the furthest it's got to being introduced as a GCSE is on online e-petition :redface: Which I guess can be my excuse, as well as not knowing that I would need to choose a GCSE 5 years before just to get into UCL, hopefully I do get accepted because I'd love to get into UCL.
Reply 45
Original post by Elton
This has kinda put my mind at ease reading other people's posts, I was about to choose French at GCSE but didn't really enjoy it, I was about to ask my school if I could sit a GCSE on my native language but the furthest it's got to being introduced as a GCSE is on online e-petition :redface: Which I guess can be my excuse, as well as not knowing that I would need to choose a GCSE 5 years before just to get into UCL, hopefully I do get accepted because I'd love to get into UCL.

I wouldn't worry about it anyway. I haven't got a language GCSE and I have emailed UCL and they said that you can take optional language modules in your degree, or take evening classes in order to meet the requirements whilst you're there, and that not having a language GCSE does not make you a less competitive applicant. :smile:

EDIT: but that email a few pages back has kind of scared me. Similar to you, I was about to do French at GCSE, but decided not to... I'm hoping that my reason for not taking it can simply be that I didn't know it would be a requirement... eek!
(edited 11 years ago)
Just found this whilst looking for stuff on Esperanto.

The Welsh Joint Education Committee - WJEC- also offers a series of exams for 'Welsh for Adults' at:
Entry Level, Foundation Level and Intermediate Level. Intermediate level is equivalent to GCSE. There is also a 'Higher' level, equivalent to A level.

Howard
Reply 47
say i was a B student with an A and a fews C's, 2 D's (one being french) in gcse but good A levels, would they allow me to take medicine, would they allow me to take a another language during my medicine course? and do they allown mandarin chinese?
Just found out about this after making my UCAS submission. I am planning on reading physics but got a D at GCSE French. I am now going making applications to either Bath or Manchester instead. I honestly think that this policy of UCL is poor.
Reply 49
Original post by jamesgates1
Just found out about this after making my UCAS submission. I am planning on reading physics but got a D at GCSE French. I am now going making applications to either Bath or Manchester instead. I honestly think that this policy of UCL is poor.

From UCL's entry requirements:

"For UK-based students, a grade C or equivalent in a foreign language (other than Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew or Latin) is required. UCL provides opportunities to meet this requirement following enrolment at UCL."

So, if you don't have a pass in a language GCSE, then you just do an equivalent qualification when you are there.
4a*s, 6As, 3Bs at GCSE
AAAAC at AS
A*AA predictions
can i go to UCL to study english?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending