Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Anyone applying to UCL without a language GCSE?

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foghorn Leghorn)
    Dammit I should have said I was half italian!

Did you get an offer?
    Hahahahha all distant "multicultural" statements about yourself. Hey my great great great grandad was Dutch. HOW'S THAT UCL?

I have not got an offer no hahahahha. Still waiting my friend, still waiting. How abouts you?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaronbenham)
    Hahahahha all distant "multicultural" statements about yourself. Hey my great great great grandad was Dutch. HOW'S THAT UCL?

I have not got an offer no hahahahha. Still waiting my friend, still waiting. How abouts you?
    Nope still waiting. :moon:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foghorn Leghorn)
    Nope still waiting. :moon:
    Have you heard anything since?
    I recieved an offer (or an email telling me they are going to offer me a place when the admissions secretary gets back from holiday) a couple of days ago after my application was "handed to the Dean" for further inspection.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was honest in mine and said that the timetabling structure didn't allow me to study both french and history, and that at the time I wanted to do history at uni
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    This has kinda put my mind at ease reading other people's posts, I was about to choose French at GCSE but didn't really enjoy it, I was about to ask my school if I could sit a GCSE on my native language but the furthest it's got to being introduced as a GCSE is on online e-petition Which I guess can be my excuse, as well as not knowing that I would need to choose a GCSE 5 years before just to get into UCL, hopefully I do get accepted because I'd love to get into UCL.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elton)
    This has kinda put my mind at ease reading other people's posts, I was about to choose French at GCSE but didn't really enjoy it, I was about to ask my school if I could sit a GCSE on my native language but the furthest it's got to being introduced as a GCSE is on online e-petition Which I guess can be my excuse, as well as not knowing that I would need to choose a GCSE 5 years before just to get into UCL, hopefully I do get accepted because I'd love to get into UCL.
    I wouldn't worry about it anyway. I haven't got a language GCSE and I have emailed UCL and they said that you can take optional language modules in your degree, or take evening classes in order to meet the requirements whilst you're there, and that not having a language GCSE does not make you a less competitive applicant.

EDIT: but that email a few pages back has kind of scared me. Similar to you, I was about to do French at GCSE, but decided not to... I'm hoping that my reason for not taking it can simply be that I didn't know it would be a requirement... eek!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just found this whilst looking for stuff on Esperanto.

The Welsh Joint Education Committee - WJEC- also offers a series of exams for 'Welsh for Adults' at:
    Entry Level, Foundation Level and Intermediate Level. Intermediate level is equivalent to GCSE. There is also a 'Higher' level, equivalent to A level.

Howard

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 17, 2014
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.