The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Oxford Brookes 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'm applying for English and English Language and Communication. :smile:
Hope the people are nice and there are attractive boys (If I get in)
...I'm awful.
:colondollar::tongue: :K:
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 41
I'm considering applying for Law/Psychology at Oxford Brookes.
I'm stuck between Nottingham Trent and Oxford Brookes, but I reckon I'm gonna go with Oxford Brookes.
Reply 42
I'm considering leaving my University to go to Oxford Brookes to study BSc Computer Science because they have a far better employability rate than my current Uni.

Thing is I'm doing my foundation year at Kingston University and they offer pretty much the same Foundation Year at Oxford Brookes, so I'm going to ask them if they can accept the Computing Foundation Year that I'm doing at K.U in order to let me into the full Undergraduate program. I don't want this year to be a complete waste lol.

Do I have to pay the new post-2012 fees if they let me in? (Think it's probably worth it considering their more reputable acclaim)
Reply 43
Hi, I'm applying for Primary teaching. Hopefully I'll get in! Will be a mature student at 22! And I have a baby who'll be about 20 months when I'd start.

:smile:
Hey all I applied for Politics & International Relations at Oxford Brookes :smile: think I'm going to firm Oxford Brookes it looks pretty amazing :biggrin:
Put Brookes down on my UCAS application for Computer science. Had to re-sit my AS year so not feeling too confident :nope:
Reply 46
Original post by Charlottie93
Hey all I applied for Politics & International Relations at Oxford Brookes :smile: think I'm going to firm Oxford Brookes it looks pretty amazing :biggrin:

hey so am i! although i'm not sure about my firm yet - but i love the look of the course
Reply 47
Original post by Guygp
hey so am i! although i'm not sure about my firm yet - but i love the look of the course

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/politicsandinternationalrelations/politics.aspx

Politics at Notts - AAB.. in whatever subjects you like..
as your 5th option ? :P
Original post by Guygp

Well I changed my mind at the last minute I was originally going to apply for Middle Eastern studies, but changed my mind when filling in my form and I decided on Politics! Certainly feel like I've made the right decision!

The course looks amazing as does some of the societies! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
When are they next having an Open Day guys?
Reply 50
12th Nov is their next one :smile:
I've lost track of all the open days I've applied for.

EDIT: I've just been on their website, I think that's their last open day? I hope not :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by Jodianne
12th Nov is their next one :smile:
I've lost track of all the open days I've applied for.

EDIT: I've just been on their website, I think that's their last open day? I hope not :frown:

Thanks :smile: they'll be doing some next year won't they? (post offer ones?) :s-smilie:
I think I might apply for Politics and International Relations :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi everybody!
I have a few question
Students of Oxford Brookes are crazy?
Reply 54
I was considering applying but there were a couple of small things which put me off, mainly finding out on Open Day that the SU "doesn't really do night events anymore because most students prefer to go into Oxford". Although I admit I wouldn't be looking to spend all my time in the SU on a night out I would like it to be there offering events either to start off a night out before heading into Oxford or for nights when I don't feel like staying out as late (e.g. weeknights, or when an assignment is due soon, or when I have work in the morning if I get a job). I am quite fussy though and have found problems with most unis in the country offering my subject.
Reply 55
Original post by StacFace
I was considering applying but there were a couple of small things which put me off, mainly finding out on Open Day that the SU "doesn't really do night events anymore because most students prefer to go into Oxford". Although I admit I wouldn't be looking to spend all my time in the SU on a night out I would like it to be there offering events either to start off a night out before heading into Oxford or for nights when I don't feel like staying out as late (e.g. weeknights, or when an assignment is due soon, or when I have work in the morning if I get a job). I am quite fussy though and have found problems with most unis in the country offering my subject.

going into oxford is still extremly easy and not a very long journey.. theres that coach/bus thingy that you can call and it will pick u up from Oxford town centre and bring you back to the uni halls.. its really nothing to worry about - as even if you do stay out late then there will always be ways and means of getting back to halls easily enough..

p.s. if you have an assignment.. i suggest NOT going out in the first place you dipstick.
Reply 56
Original post by i Pav i
going into oxford is still extremly easy and not a very long journey.. theres that coach/bus thingy that you can call and it will pick u up from Oxford town centre and bring you back to the uni halls.. its really nothing to worry about - as even if you do stay out late then there will always be ways and means of getting back to halls easily enough..

p.s. if you have an assignment.. i suggest NOT going out in the first place you dipstick.

I know it's not a long journey, I've been on an open day and used the BrookesBus so have a good idea of the distance. I'm also aware of the SafetyBus, but you shouldn't be relying on that to get you home all the time as it's really for people who have no other way of getting home safetly, and if they think you could get a taxi instead they'll wait until they have no other calls and then pick you up, which could realistically be about an hour or so. You could have walked to the halls in Headington in that time (the ones I was looking at) even in heels.

My point was that I would like to go to a uni with an active SU, which means societies, campaigns, and events including club nights, 'pub quizzes' etc. It's part of the 'uni experience' for me, it's something that seperates uni from a higher education college. Others may obviously disagree, and I do think on the whole Oxford Brookes is still a very nice uni.

As for going out when you have an assignment due I don't see your point. Unless you have really bad organisational skills there is no need to shut yourself in your room and only come out for lectures/seminars from the date an assignment is set until you have completed it. If I had an assignment due and felt confident I could finish it before the deadline then I'd be quite happy to go out with my flatmates for a night.
Reply 57
I know it's not a long journey, I've been on an open day and used the BrookesBus so have a good idea of the distance. I'm also aware of the SafetyBus, but you shouldn't be relying on that to get you home all the time as it's really for people who have no other way of getting home safetly, and if they think you could get a taxi instead they'll wait until they have no other calls and then pick you up, which could realistically be about an hour or so. You could have walked to the halls in Headington in that time (the ones I was looking at) even in heels.

My point was that I would like to go to a uni with an active SU, which means societies, campaigns, and events including club nights, 'pub quizzes' etc. It's part of the 'uni experience' for me, it's something that seperates uni from a higher education college. Others may obviously disagree, and I do think on the whole Oxford Brookes is still a very nice uni.

As for going out when you have an assignment due I don't see your point. Unless you have really bad organisational skills there is no need to shut yourself in your room and only come out for lectures/seminars from the date an assignment is set until you have completed it. If I had an assignment due and felt confident I could finish it before the deadline then I'd be quite happy to go out with my flatmates for a night.

ahh regarding societies, campaigns you'd have to ask someone who is currently studying at Brookes.. but i have to agree - when i went for the open day it didnt look as thought there was much going on.. if you are looking for a big SU.. look at bigger unis.. e.g. main cities - bham, liverpool, manchester, notts, leeds, sheffield..

Hm I've not been to one of the open days but I did check out the su's facebook page and there seems to be loads of societies which I would assume all had events on etc it's one of the reasons I picked brookes was because the societies made it seem like there was so much on! That and the course I want to do looks quite good!
Reply 59
Original post by Charlottie93
Hm I've not been to one of the open days but I did check out the su's facebook page and there seems to be loads of societies which I would assume all had events on etc it's one of the reasons I picked brookes was because the societies made it seem like there was so much on! That and the course I want to do looks quite good!

Yeah Brookes does have plenty of societies, but I was told on open day they don't really have any general events in the SU (e.g. they don't have any club nights/pub quizzes/bands playing/other nightime events in the SU itself that any student can go to without being part of a society). I'm sure the societies will still have their own events/nights out in Oxford, but I was after an SU with it's own nightlife side too. It depends what you want tbh, on the societies side it looks great.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending