The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Oxford Brookes 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by peliqueiro
So I assume you live in Clive Booth PG right now.

I am not a party animal or anything like that and I am definitely focusing on my Masters above anything. However I do like a wild friday night out every once in a while :wink: And PGs in their 30s don't do that :wink: Anyway Clive Booth seems quite right for me. If Cheney is packed with party hungry first years... ¬¬ must admit I'm not 18 anymore...

Yep, I moved to CBPG a few weeks ago from Wheatley. There do seem to be plenty of people going out and having fun, the difference here is that the rooms themselves are a lot quieter, people are pretty respectful. Having said that the flats themselves have good social space so plenty of drinks before going out or dinners with friends. I'm not sure how much thought goes into sorting who is in which flat but it doesn't seem to be a big issue for anyone as far as I can tell. There is one rumour I have heard that the 'Morals' bar on the CB site may be closing. Cheney do have close access to the sports centre bar I believe.
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Original post by Jasperbasil2
Yep, I moved to CBPG a few weeks ago from Wheatley. There do seem to be plenty of people going out and having fun, the difference here is that the rooms themselves are a lot quieter, people are pretty respectful. Having said that the flats themselves have good social space so plenty of drinks before going out or dinners with friends. I'm not sure how much thought goes into sorting who is in which flat but it doesn't seem to be a big issue for anyone as far as I can tell. There is one rumour I have heard that the 'Morals' bar on the CB site may be closing. Cheney do have close access to the sports centre bar I believe.

That sounds pretty nice, I might go for CBPG. In addition a bit of walking to uni won't hurt at all. Concerning bars... I'm not bar/pub guy. My partying habits are more about drinks at home/street + clubbing :wink:

Anyway do you have Wi-Fi or ethernet broadband at CBPG? How about kitchen storage (I'm all about cooking)? Do you have to do ALL your cleaning?
That sounds pretty nice, I might go for CBPG. In addition a bit of walking to uni won't hurt at all. Concerning bars... I'm not bar/pub guy. My partying habits are more about drinks at home/street + clubbing :wink:

Anyway do you have Wi-Fi or ethernet broadband at CBPG? How about kitchen storage (I'm all about cooking)? Do you have to do ALL your cleaning?

Its wired broadband, the kitchens vary as do the flats but there should be at least a top and bottom cupboard each at the very least. Loads of worksurface too. As far as cleaning, you have to clean your own room and keep the flat in a reasonable state but cleaners do weekly visits to clean the kitchen and vacuum the hall.
Reply 703
can't afford sharing houses, it would mean a house hunting trip to oxford from continental europe. any pound saved on rent would be spent on house hunting ¬¬

well it's not that expensive to go to oxford, i will be going after my exams in july, i already bought my plane tickets and they were about 60 pounds :smile: as for house hunting, you can check the OBU website and see that they have private accommodation to rent, meaning house shares, vouched by the university and which you can rent through the uni. So you can call and make some appointments for viewings before you go and then in 1 or 2 days you can decide which one you'd want to rent. I'll be doing that on top of applying for halls :wink:

http://www.brookes.ac.uk/students/accommodation/vacancies
I did that for my Erasmus in the UK and the experience was awesome. The flatmates I met were fantastic and we get to rent a fantastic house. However, if the university can fix it for me, I won't bother to go to the UK in the summer. Need to do loads of things this summer anyway :smile:

Besides, the fact that uni accommodation includes an year round Bus Pass sounds fabulous!
Reply 705
I did that for my Erasmus in the UK and the experience was awesome. The flatmates I met were fantastic and we get to rent a fantastic house. However, if the university can fix it for me, I won't bother to go to the UK in the summer. Need to do loads of things this summer anyway :smile:

Besides, the fact that uni accommodation includes an year round Bus Pass sounds fabulous!

Yeah well that's true but I have my courses on 2 campuses so I need to find a place in between them. As for the Brookes Bus Pass you get one regardless of living in halls if you are an undergrad student, here is what they say on their site for 2012/2013:

Free Brookes Bus Pass

(UK and EU Students)

In 2012-13, a free BrookesBus pass will be offered to full-time undergraduate students that are;
on a course with a fee of £9,000 or more

or
living in an Oxford Brookes hall of residence

The free BrookesBus pass is also available to international students (new and continuing) who are on courses with fees of £9,000 or more.
I am a EU postgraduate, so it doesn't applies for me. My fees won't be 9000 pounds either. As far as I know my course is based on Headington campus so Halls seem a great option 4 me :wink:
Currently a 2nd year Law student. Good luck to all those applying for Law and message me if you have any questions
Original post by ibelongtoslytherin
Currently a 2nd year Law student. Good luck to all those applying for Law and message me if you have any questions

As a current undergrad. students do you know if many people apply for living in halls in their 2nd and following years?
As a current undergrad. students do you know if many people apply for living in halls in their 2nd and following years?

There are two halls of residence at the moment that are for students from year two onwards, this year they are bringing in a scheme where you can stay in halls if you wish with people that are not in their first year, so i guess it will be more obvious how many people stay from next year on.
Original post by tom_tom_tom
There are two halls of residence at the moment that are for students from year two onwards

Which ones?

Yes there are two popular halls that many students move onto after their first year. Slade Park and Sinnet Court
Which ones?

Sinnet Court and Slade Park as said, i think there is also a new development and an extension to Windmill Road.

But as said all halls will have sections for continuing students from next year.
Reply 713
Original post by CrazyPerson
AWWW no!!! :erm:

The bloody IDIOTS!!!

Where will you go instead miggy93?
Are you ok?

Hey there. Sorry for the longness... haven't been on here for a while been working a lot. :s-smilie: erm yeah I am fine thanks. did you get your reply then?
I still dont know what uni ill be going to... I applied for another one late of course but its pretty good for my course anyway so i though why not. It's Middlesex uni by the way- the woman there said i still have a good chance of getting into it because i exceeded their grade requirements! :biggrin: so lets hope!

good luck to you and everyone also! :biggrin:
Original post by miggy93
Hey there. Sorry for the longness... haven't been on here for a while been working a lot. :s-smilie: erm yeah I am fine thanks. did you get your reply then?
I still dont know what uni ill be going to... I applied for another one late of course but its pretty good for my course anyway so i though why not. It's Middlesex uni by the way- the woman there said i still have a good chance of getting into it because i exceeded their grade requirements! :biggrin: so lets hope!

good luck to you and everyone also! :biggrin:

Yeah i did. All firmed and just wanting September to be here NOW. But still waiting on finance stuff to come through, and accommodation letters etc.

If you exceed the requirements I don't see why they wouldn't give you an offer. Good luck with it!!!

And I'm glad your ok.
Work can be complete poo sometimes. ¬_¬
anyone got their accommodation stuff?
nope... unfortunately not...but i've got an email that they will send it soon oO
Original post by donotpanic:P
nope... unfortunately not...but i've got an email that they will send it soon oO

YOOPEE!!!

did you email them or did they email u directly? Should I expect an email or a post package? (overseas, so a post pack would take AGES to reach me ¬¬)
YOOPEE!!!

did you email them or did they email u directly? Should I expect an email or a post package? (overseas, so a post pack would take AGES to reach me ¬¬)

i did not email them... i only confirmed my offer and then a few days later i got a thank you email and that i will get more information soon + they'll send me an "international preparation guide" :s-smilie: ...they didn't say how they will contact me...:s-smilie: but i remember when they confirmed that they got my application, they sended me some sort of postcard. i live overseas as well...so i hope they'll email me...:confused:

no idea how this will be and what you should expect..didn't get a similar email?
Original post by donotpanic:P
i did not email them... i only confirmed my offer and then a few days later i got a thank you email and that i will get more information soon + they'll send me an "international preparation guide" :s-smilie: ...they didn't say how they will contact me...:s-smilie: but i remember when they confirmed that they got my application, they sended me some sort of postcard. i live overseas as well...so i hope they'll email me...:confused:

no idea how this will be and what you should expect..didn't get a similar email?

bit concerned now ¬¬ didn't get any email from them after I accepted my unconditional. Just an email from UKPASS... I'll definitely email them today

Quick Reply

Latest