Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Oxford Brookes 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by Meodien
Yes, it has campus in Singapore.

Now I see OBU is in partnership with Informatics Holdings Ltd, Singapore. However, it just delivers IT course related. Ah well, I am doing B&M, anyway :biggrin:

Thanks for your reply :smile:
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 781
Hey tsr, any of you going to be starting Computer Science at Brookes this September? xxx
Original post by Lissy93
Hey tsr, any of you going to be starting Computer Science at Brookes this September? xxx

Meeeeeeeeeeee!
Reply 783
Original post by Lissy93

I'm also one :P
Reply 784
OBU has that +1 chocha.
Hey i live in Africa and i was wondering if this (oxford brookes) is a good uni and if the city is boring?? please help me i hope to join in jnuary
Reply 786
Yeah i've applied for Media and Drama Studies i need BBC :smile:
applying for Japanese studies
Reply 788
Hi Guys! I was wondering if anyone could tell me which halls are better Cheney Village or Clive Booth? :smile:
Original post by Gab1194
Hi Guys! I was wondering if anyone could tell me which halls are better Cheney Village or Clive Booth? :smile:

I would say Cheney. It's louder/ livelier, but you have to walk up a hill in the mornings from Clive Booth which is a pain, whenever we had parties they seemed to mostly be in Cheney because the kitchens are better for it.
Original post by grantwilliams89
applying for Japanese studies

Nice to meet you, I'm a second year (will be in Japan when you come to Brookes)!
Reply 791
Original post by Mangafairy
I would say Cheney. It's louder/ livelier, but you have to walk up a hill in the mornings from Clive Booth which is a pain, whenever we had parties they seemed to mostly be in Cheney because the kitchens are better for it.

Thanks :smile: That's really helped :biggrin: can I just ask if student life is good at Brookes i.e shopping, sports nightlife? :smile:
Reply 792
Hiya, I'm thinking of applying for Japanese studies. I just want to know what it is like from people who are doing it. What's the workload like, is it worth it, what you plan to do with it etc.

I'm thinking of going to work and live in Japan and think it would be really useful. I was also looking at studying psychology alongside it and practicing psychology in Japan. Do you think this is feasible?
Original post by Gab1194
Thanks :smile: That's really helped :biggrin: can I just ask if student life is good at Brookes i.e shopping, sports nightlife? :smile:

If you are Cheney Student Village then you are right next to the sports bar, does all sports, has a gym, rock climbing (unlimited for 50 quid a year). Shopping is al-right, if you wanted to go proper shopping you could hop on the Brookes Bus for 10 quid and go to London for the day.
Original post by mochielf
Hiya, I'm thinking of applying for Japanese studies. I just want to know what it is like from people who are doing it. What's the workload like, is it worth it, what you plan to do with it etc.

I'm thinking of going to work and live in Japan and think it would be really useful. I was also looking at studying psychology alongside it and practicing psychology in Japan. Do you think this is feasible?

Hey, I didn't study at all before studying here, in the first month I took a GCSE Japanese test and got 100%, after maybe 4 months I could do A Level.

It's quite intensive for a beginner, weekly vocab tests force you to learn the vocab which is really really good. You have weekly kanji tests too. Maybe 50 kanji a week. Vocab varies, in second year we have bi-weekly vocab tests, around 20 words a test so not too bad.

I think you'd have to be incredibly fluent in Japanese to diagnose and get a license in Japan to practice. They are also still xenophobic in the sense that, if a Japanese person applies with the same credentials as you, they WILL prefer the Japanese applicant.
Reply 795
Original post by Mangafairy
Hey, I didn't study at all before studying here, in the first month I took a GCSE Japanese test and got 100%, after maybe 4 months I could do A Level.

It's quite intensive for a beginner, weekly vocab tests force you to learn the vocab which is really really good. You have weekly kanji tests too. Maybe 50 kanji a week. Vocab varies, in second year we have bi-weekly vocab tests, around 20 words a test so not too bad.

I think you'd have to be incredibly fluent in Japanese to diagnose and get a license in Japan to practice. They are also still xenophobic in the sense that, if a Japanese person applies with the same credentials as you, they WILL prefer the Japanese applicant.

That sounds so intense! It seems like so much fun though, and so interesting. Also, it would be amazing to go and study in Japan! :biggrin:

Yes, I thought that it would be like that. I have read about English speaking psychologists in Japan, who counsel English speaking clients. Though I don't know how much work you could actually get from doing that.

What do you plan to do with your degree? Maybe I can get some ideas :smile:
Original post by mochielf
That sounds so intense! It seems like so much fun though, and so interesting. Also, it would be amazing to go and study in Japan! :biggrin:

Yes, I thought that it would be like that. I have read about English speaking psychologists in Japan, who counsel English speaking clients. Though I don't know how much work you could actually get from doing that.

What do you plan to do with your degree? Maybe I can get some ideas :smile:

It's not as intense as SOAS for example, a friend who goes there never has any spare time for fun which is sad. Our course is good fun and the year above is always happy to help, or Japanese friends who are studying at Brookes (you can meet through the Japanese Society, it has over 230 members).

I'm not sure what I will do with my degree, I just finally decided to study something I enjoy after A levels. :smile:
Reply 797
Any one know what previous freshers have been like?
Hi!

First post!
Anyone starting in September doing the Illustration: Narrative & Sequential BA degree that's being run from Swindon College?
WRONG

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending