The Student Room Group
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester

Winchester 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by tomcol23
Hello, yeah the history lectures are great at winchester. They are definitely friendly, one lecture I wasnt a big fan of though, but Ive met around 7 lectures this year and only one of them I didnt get on with, but the other students found that lecture ok.

Yeah they are definitely approachable and available, at the end of the day the university wants to make you feel comfortable, which is what my tutor said to me who is one of the history lectures.

Yeah they are good at teaching, history though is a difficult subject to study, but the lectures make it interesting through group work and also through lectures.

Yeah, they you give you some direction, you can always go and see them for help, but what I think is also good is that you become alot more independent with your assignments, unless it is a group presentation.

http://www.winchester.ac.uk/academicdepartments/history/peopleprofiles/Pages/Profiles.aspx thought this would be good to send to you, you can see what lectures your daughter might have at university if you want to contact them at all.

Good luck to your daughter :biggrin:

Hi! are there many individual presentations on the History course? I am one of those people that seriously hate having to do those. :/ Especially long ones :O
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester
Reply 261
Original post by NoseyMum
Hi,

My daughter has an offer for Medieval History and we have visited the Uni on two occasions and it's strongly in the running to be her firm choice (up against Chichester!).

Can I ask how you find the lecturers for History - are they friendly/approachable/available/good at teaching? Do you get much direction from them?

Thanks for any information you can give.
:redface:

I do normal history, but it's pretty much the same for both courses. The lecturers are all friendly and helpful, I've never had a problem with them. Winchester is a very good course for history, given the history of Winchester itself. If your daughter loves history, which I presumes she does, she'll love Winchester, it has history everywhere.

If you want to be persuaded on going to Winchester, the city is fantastic. It's a small community (40k population) and a lovely place to live in. I'd consider living here when I'm older. The university is small for its number of students but punches well above its weight in the high quality of its teaching, less students means more interaction with teachers, you're a name to them, not a number.

Original post by 3011295jw
Hi! are there many individual presentations on the History course? I am one of those people that seriously hate having to do those. :/ Especially long ones :O

Yes, there are. In the first year and first semester you will have to do a 15-20 minute GROUP presentation, you will only have to talk for 2-3 minutes infront of about maybe 120 people I guess. In your first year and second semester you will have to do a 15 minute GROUP presentation, but in a smaller group sizes and to a smaller audience.

I've just picked my modules for my second year, of which I've seen that you have to do a SOLO presentation. Everyone has to do this.

Just remember, everyone is in the same boat as you when you do presentations. I dreaded doing my first one, I had never done public speaking before in my life, but once it's over you find out it's not so bad and you can do it. There are workshops avaliable to help you on them. Presentations may seem scary, but it's a great thing to do, builds confidence, makes you attractive to employers etc.

--
Any more questions, just ask. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by seversk
Hello! I've applied to do History, Theology and Religious Studies. I was wondering how long it takes for Winchester to get back to you? They received my application on the 6th December and emailed me saying so, and today I received another email telling me that they have received my application and that some courses don't start looking at applications until January 2012. So I'm slightly confused!

I have applied for History and Theology and Religous studies too

LETS BE FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hello again Winchester thread!
Anyone going to the open day this weekend? I am SO excited to see the city again, i really felt a connection the last time i visited, it felt so homey! I can't wait to have a look around knowing it going to be home soon! :biggrin:

I have a few questions for current students:
halls, I want to go to West downs because its cheaper! but do you think it might be worth paying the extra for the moderner/closer rooms?
Anxiety, do you or any friends have anxiety issues? are you university good at offering support?
In terms of friendly lectures, I am worried about missing lectures due to depression episodes, are you helpful with helping you by telling you what youve missed?

Original post by ~ Purple Rose ~
You can avoid the graveyard, by going right up the road instead, then turning left. I never had any problems with going through it, most students use it.

The only time it spooked me was in the dark on Halloween, when I was alone :afraid:

Thankyou so much for your reply. :smile:
Reply 265
Original post by zoeawesome
Hello again Winchester thread!
Anyone going to the open day this weekend? I am SO excited to see the city again, i really felt a connection the last time i visited, it felt so homey! I can't wait to have a look around knowing it going to be home soon! :biggrin:

I have a few questions for current students:
halls, I want to go to West downs because its cheaper! but do you think it might be worth paying the extra for the moderner/closer rooms?
Anxiety, do you or any friends have anxiety issues? are you university good at offering support?
In terms of friendly lectures, I am worried about missing lectures due to depression episodes, are you helpful with helping you by telling you what youve missed?

Wow. These are all the things going through my head atm. Strange..........

Anyway look forward to meeting you later this year :wink:
Reply 266
I'm new to this thing... But thought I'd get in on all the action xD
I'm definitely going to Winchester uni in September after getting an unconditional offer and accepting it as my firm choice...

I'm studying Criminology with Media studies, if any of you guys are study either of those then let me know and we could get to know each other before September! :smile:
Reply 267
Original post by Koscielny
I do normal history, but it's pretty much the same for both courses. The lecturers are all friendly and helpful, I've never had a problem with them. Winchester is a very good course for history, given the history of Winchester itself. If your daughter loves history, which I presumes she does, she'll love Winchester, it has history everywhere.

If you want to be persuaded on going to Winchester, the city is fantastic. It's a small community (40k population) and a lovely place to live in. I'd consider living here when I'm older. The university is small for its number of students but punches well above its weight in the high quality of its teaching, less students means more interaction with teachers, you're a name to them, not a number.

Yes, there are. In the first year and first semester you will have to do a 15-20 minute GROUP presentation, you will only have to talk for 2-3 minutes infront of about maybe 120 people I guess. In your first year and second semester you will have to do a 15 minute GROUP presentation, but in a smaller group sizes and to a smaller audience.

I've just picked my modules for my second year, of which I've seen that you have to do a SOLO presentation. Everyone has to do this.

Just remember, everyone is in the same boat as you when you do presentations. I dreaded doing my first one, I had never done public speaking before in my life, but once it's over you find out it's not so bad and you can do it. There are workshops avaliable to help you on them. Presentations may seem scary, but it's a great thing to do, builds confidence, makes you attractive to employers etc.

--
Any more questions, just ask. :smile:

Thanks a lot for your response :wink: That was very helpful!
Original post by Thanatos7
@danielleelizabethx congrats on your unconditional offer! It would seem like the Uni is more lenient for people past sixth form college (19+) and their grades so I hope I can get my offer too without faffing around trying to scrape up more UCAS points.

Sorry! I've only just seen this! Thank you so much though :smile: what have you applied to do?
Reply 269
Original post by 3011295jw
Hey kl, will see you March 24th then :wink: Is it true that the Male to Female Ratio is really low at this Uni? Also how often are Lectures/Seminars? Thanks in advance for your help :smile:

Hi sorry only just seen your question, yea it is mostly girls here (around 70%) but you always meet guys when you go out and its mixed in all the halls, its never bothered me. I have 7 hours of lectures and seminars atm :smile:
Hey :smile: Ive been offered a conditional offer for Winchester and wanted to meet some people that are going to be at the open day on the 25th :smile:
Original post by thisisthemoment
Unconditional from Winchester to study psychology :biggrin:

Ive got a conditional offer for Winchester to do psychology :smile: are you going to the open day on saturday?
I've still not got a reply :frown:
Original post by ThomasBarron
I've still not got a reply :frown:

I've heard they really take their time giving out some offers :|
Original post by SuperSteph
Ive got a conditional offer for Winchester to do psychology :smile: are you going to the open day on saturday?

Yay finally someone else doing psychology :biggrin: Yes I am! What about you?
Reply 275
Original post by EmilyJane
Hi sorry only just seen your question, yea it is mostly girls here (around 70%) but you always meet guys when you go out and its mixed in all the halls, its never bothered me. I have 7 hours of lectures and seminars atm :smile:

Hey thanks for the response :wink: very helpful!
Reply 276
when do we apply for accommodation? accepted it as my firm yesterday
Original post by Thanatos7
Ok fingers crossed I get an offer.

Have you never visited Winchester? I live 15 miles away, it's a relatively small place generally an upper-middle class area so very little amount of annoying chavs. Shops are lacking though, have to go to Basingstoke or Southampton for any real night life/shopping. The campus at the Uni is small but nicely presented.

I haven't visited Winchester lol! I would like to get away from the chavs. I don't mind the fact I would have to travel to Southampton for shopping and nightlife. As long as Winchester's teaching is good, and I don't have to deal with chavs, I'm fine with that. Are you thinking of living on campus or make the trek everyday?
Ive also got a conditional for Winchester but im doing Performing Arts - Contempory Performance and one of my mates is doing Dance just wanted to know if anyone else is doing either the same type or course or starting in September :smile: x
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by amy_celestia

I kind of forgot to check this thread for awhile, not a good way to make friends! D: Nice to see a few more creative writing people :smile: Anyone doing that or media production, or anyone who wants to chat, feel free to add me on Skype. I'd love to get a know a few people before I go! My Skype name is the same my my username on here.

I really enjoyed the open day on saturday, Winchester is definately my firm now! Although I missed the media production workshop, did anyone go to it? Was it good?

I'm gonna apply to live in West Downs too, although walking up and down that hill everyday is going to kill a little bit :tongue:

im going to apply for West Downs too i have applied for Performing Arts-Contempory Performance i know its not the same course as you but it would be really nice to get to know someone before i go in september :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending