The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Korean Studies 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
I read that the average Sheffield student has around 430 ucas points,
the amount needed for this course is ABB so like 320 ucas points?
how can I bump up my score D:
Im only taking 3 A2s and not with an AS on the side, so I've lost potential points already right? grrr:woo:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 181
Ok I understand sorry
Reply 182
Original post by vabbian
I read that the average Sheffield student has around 430 ucas points,
the amount needed for this course is ABB so like 320 ucas points?
how can I bump up my score D:
Im only taking 3 A2s and not with an AS on the side, so I've lost potential points already right? grrr:woo:

Don't think about ucas points. No good university cares about them anymore. Just think in terms of grades... if you have the exact grades, then you're on the course. That's all that matters.

Sheffield won't look at your application and think 'Well, they have the equivalent ucas points' because they won't do that. You just need to make sure you have ABB or above.
Reply 183
I have a conditional at manchester to do Japanese Studies, eventhough I offered BBB and thier requirements are ABB, is that a good thing?? Hahaha!

Haven't heard from Sheffield yet. Fingers crossed :frown:
Leeds offered me AAB for a ABC-BBB course D: good thing I didn't want to go there anyway :3
Reply 185
Original post by 0w3n-69
Don't think about ucas points. No good university cares about them anymore. Just think in terms of grades... if you have the exact grades, then you're on the course. That's all that matters.

Sheffield won't look at your application and think 'Well, they have the equivalent ucas points' because they won't do that. You just need to make sure you have ABB or above.

ahhh thats reassuring, I dont wanna be at a disadvantage and not be able to get onto the course.
There isnt anything else I want to do at uni as nothing academically except language and culture studies interest me :3

I'm guessing as Korean is pretty under-subscribed, people who apply are guaranteed a place provided they get the ABB?
Reply 186
Original post by vabbian
I'm guessing as Korean is pretty under-subscribed, people who apply are guaranteed a place provided they get the ABB?

Actually, the department used to get loads of applicants that wern't up to scratch, that's why they rocketed the grades from BBC straight to ABB so they would get less applicants and be able to only get the best of the best on the course...
Reply 187
Original post by 0w3n-69
Actually, the department used to get loads of applicants that wern't up to scratch, that's why they rocketed the grades from BBC straight to ABB so they would get less applicants and be able to only get the best of the best on the course...

O rly? hmm.
I'm guessing class sizes for Korean are getting bigger each year due to the spread of Korean culture?

I'm capable of the grades, but dont know what else (e.g. extra curricular stuff) I would need to put to buff up my application if ya know what I mean, or is it pretty much exclusively the grades they care about? :confused:

Ugh wae am I asking so many questions?!?!?! I have to wait till like October to apply anyway T_T
Reply 188
Original post by vabbian
O rly? hmm.
I'm guessing class sizes for Korean are getting bigger each year due to the spread of Korean culture?

I'm capable of the grades, but dont know what else (e.g. extra curricular stuff) I would need to put to buff up my application if ya know what I mean, or is it pretty much exclusively the grades they care about? :confused:

Ugh wae am I asking so many questions?!?!?! I have to wait till like October to apply anyway T_T

You just gotta give examples of where you have gone out of your way to show your interest in the course. Like for example, any lectures you've been to, any workshops you've done to promote the language/culture, been to open days related to the course, what inspired you to study the course etc.. You just gotta show you're gonna be committed to the course in your personal statement. As long as you're predicted ABB, have a good personal statement and good reference, you'll get the offer :smile:

(Hopefully this helps!)
Since I was only applying to Asian courses my personal statement was just going on about how and why I got interested in Asian culture, then a paragraph about my A Levels, and then towards the end I mentioned how I've taught myself a bit of Japanese and Korean. That was enough to get me ABB for Korean and Korean with Japanese, and AAB for Japanese... I'm also predicted AAA though, so that could have helped.
Reply 190
Original post by Munny_d
You just gotta give examples of where you have gone out of your way to show your interest in the course. Like for example, any lectures you've been to, any workshops you've done to promote the language/culture, been to open days related to the course, what inspired you to study the course etc.. You just gotta show you're gonna be committed to the course in your personal statement. As long as you're predicted ABB, have a good personal statement and good reference, you'll get the offer :smile:

(Hopefully this helps!)

ahh i see ^o^ thank you!!! :biggrin:
Its gonna be hard tho to find stuff to go to related to the course :s-smilie:
most of the lectures and open days my school offers are for subjects like the sciences and psychology /sigh
Im really getting my hopes up to take the course so dont wanna end up being disappointed :tongue:
Reply 191
Original post by vabbian
ahh i see ^o^ thank you!!! :biggrin:
Its gonna be hard tho to find stuff to go to related to the course :s-smilie:
most of the lectures and open days my school offers are for subjects like the sciences and psychology /sigh
Im really getting my hopes up to take the course so dont wanna end up being disappointed :tongue:

I was bit like that last year as well :biggrin: but don't worry! If you do things like Extended Project next year on something related to Korean/East Asian and go to Sheffield's open day (book for the East Asian talk) then you should be fine! Even mentioning things like independently reading up on the Korean war or something will be very good. For now just concentrate on your AS exams so it'll be a lot easier for you to get the predicted grades you need as well as the actual grades!
Reply 192
Original post by Munny_d
I was bit like that last year as well :biggrin: but don't worry! If you do things like Extended Project next year on something related to Korean/East Asian and go to Sheffield's open day (book for the East Asian talk) then you should be fine! Even mentioning things like independently reading up on the Korean war or something will be very good. For now just concentrate on your AS exams so it'll be a lot easier for you to get the predicted grades you need as well as the actual grades!

ty for the advice! ^O^
makes me feel much more relaxed about things :]]
I was also thinking of applying to SOAS aswell, apparently it is better internationally renown than sheffield? :confused:
Ive heard alot of good things about Sheffield, and not so much good things about SOAS.
I wonder which uni would see students coming out with a better grasp of the language hmm
Reply 193
Original post by vabbian
ty for the advice! ^O^
makes me feel much more relaxed about things :]]
I was also thinking of applying to SOAS aswell, apparently it is better internationally renown than sheffield? :confused:
Ive heard alot of good things about Sheffield, and not so much good things about SOAS.
I wonder which uni would see students coming out with a better grasp of the language hmm

In terms of better grasp of language, it really is dependent on the student. I can't really judge on the teaching of either universities but from Sheffield's open day talk, they had a student, who by the end of his Japanese degree, wrote a philosophy book entirely in Japanese. When I went to this Japan Day thingy at SOAS, there was a guy, forgotten his name, who got a degree in Japanese (from SOAS) and he's now a foreign officer. So in terms of learning the language, I'm sure the outcome will be really good whichever university you choose to go. I think Sheffield also has strong links internationally from what I'm aware of (for instance, in your year abroad, you go to Yonsei Uni which is the 2nd highest ranked University in Korea)

In my opinion, I've been both unis and personally I prefer Sheffield. Its a lot more spacious, cheaper and it generally feels like a city made for students loll (not to mention how friendlier people are there!) I've been SOAS about 4 times and its okay - I mean its in London so the night life will be amazing but the scene there is mostly mature students.. its also quite a small Uni. Of course people experience different things at SOAS and sometimes you do meet a cool bunch of people that you can relate to... plus you're in London so you can interact with other students from other universities in London as well. Hmm, I'm not sure, the best way is to go to both Universities and see what you prefer. Of course, there's no harm in applying to both!
Reply 194
Original post by Munny_d
In terms of better grasp of language, it really is dependent on the student. I can't really judge on the teaching of either universities but from Sheffield's open day talk, they had a student, who by the end of his Japanese degree, wrote a philosophy book entirely in Japanese. When I went to this Japan Day thingy at SOAS, there was a guy, forgotten his name, who got a degree in Japanese (from SOAS) and he's now a foreign officer. So in terms of learning the language, I'm sure the outcome will be really good whichever university you choose to go. I think Sheffield also has strong links internationally from what I'm aware of (for instance, in your year abroad, you go to Yonsei Uni which is the 2nd highest ranked University in Korea)

In my opinion, I've been both unis and personally I prefer Sheffield. Its a lot more spacious, cheaper and it generally feels like a city made for students loll (not to mention how friendlier people are there!) I've been SOAS about 4 times and its okay - I mean its in London so the night life will be amazing but the scene there is mostly mature students.. its also quite a small Uni. Of course people experience different things at SOAS and sometimes you do meet a cool bunch of people that you can relate to... plus you're in London so you can interact with other students from other universities in London as well. Hmm, I'm not sure, the best way is to go to both Universities and see what you prefer. Of course, there's no harm in applying to both!

wow writing a book!?!? thats insane! i think i will be truly happy when i am able to open my mouth and speak comfortably in a foreign language. I cant think of anything more satisfying than that, primarily one of my reasons for applying for the course.
the year abroad in yonsei sounds amazing :biggrin: but they are hellbent on education in korea, so wonder what it'll be like :P

Sheffield does seem like the better option, I actually live in london anyway :colone:
getting away from london for further education would be a good break.
yeah as you said, no harm in applying for both! just gotta decide what order to put my choices now :P
dunno about "putting all my eggs in one basket" tho, as they say, how would my application look if I put
1. sheffield korean & business
2. sheffield korean
3. soas korean & business
4. other uni
5. other uni

maybe its best to put soas #2? the only thing about me applying to soas tho is that they give preference to people who studied a language at A level and I only studied French up to gcse level :{
Reply 195
With Sheffield you go to Yonsei... which has the best Korean language programme in the world. When I speak to Koreans and I tell them I go to Yonsei I get gasps of 'whoa!!'

It's important to note that, whilst at other Korean universities, you have to complete their whole language progamme before you can attend university lectures. However at Yonsei, once you have completed level 4 (out of 6 levels) you're considered fluent enough in Korean to study a university degree alongside native Koreans. That should give you an idea of just how intense it is here.

University in Korea is hard, and a lot of the time I don't get enough sleep so I can work but if you want it hard enough, it's worth it. As was stated above, how good you become with a language comes down to the student. I'm not going to finish this degree saying 'I'm still not fluent in Korean' I'm doing all I can to make sure I do the best I can so I can get a good job, hopefully, in Korea.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 196
Original post by 0w3n-69
With Sheffield you go to Yonsei... which has the best Korean language programme in the world. When I speak to Koreans and I tell them I go to Yonsei I get gasps of 'whoa!!'

It's important to note that, whilst at other Korean universities, you have to complete their whole language progamme before you can attend university lectures. However at Yonsei, once you have completed level 4 (out of 6 levels) you're considered fluent enough in Korean to study a university degree alongside native Koreans. That should give you an idea of just how intense it is here.

University in Korea is hard, and a lot of the time I don't get enough sleep so I can work but if you want it hard enough, it's worth it. As was stated above, how good you become with a language comes down to the student. I'm not going to finish this degree saying 'I'm still not fluent in Korean' I'm doing all I can to make sure I do the best I can so I can get a good job, hopefully, in Korea.

you are my inspiration :colondollar::ahee::^_^::awesome::borat::blush::clap2::cry2::dance::daydreaming::excited::flutter::giggle::h::innocent::itsme::lol::mmm::nutcase::rolleyes::rofl2::sexface::sogood::yes:
Original post by 0w3n-69
We used Seoul National uni textbooks 1 and 2 in first year. They were only really used for reading classes though, we mainly used Korean materials tailored specially by our department which did the job.

Cheers for the reply, do you mean this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Korean-Textbook-Revised-Enlarged-English/dp/8953905532
Reply 198
Original post by 0w3n-69

Oh btw has spending time in Korea only reinforced your love for the country or now that you're there has the love died or is it not hwk you imagined it to be, may I ask what ethnicity(skin colour) you are?
Reply 199
Original post by vabbian
you are my inspiration :colondollar::ahee::^_^::awesome::borat::blush::clap2::cry2::dance::daydreaming::excited::flutter::giggle::h::innocent::itsme::lol::mmm::nutcase::rolleyes::rofl2::sexface::sogood::yes:

Haha n'aww thanks :colondollar:

Original post by Laura.Laurent

Indeed I do mean that one! :smile:

Original post by vabbian
Oh btw has spending time in Korea only reinforced your love for the country or now that you're there has the love died or is it not hwk you imagined it to be, may I ask what ethnicity(skin colour) you are?

I'm going to refrain from Korea-bashing here, as I think it wouldn't be right for me to go on a rant about the things I dislike before you've even got on the course...

however, I will say there are some things I do really dislike about Korea, and some days it just gets too much and I want to pack it all in and come home. It's important to remember that this is all part of being a foreigner in Asia. They have an 'us and them' mentality, and a lot of the time, you're just dying to fit in but you have to come to terms with the fact that you just can't. I'm white btw.

I will say though, that I love Korea with all my heart. It's an amazing, beautiful and extremely underrated country, that has so much to see and do! Although sometimes you have stressful days, it's the little things that make it all so special. Climbing up mountains and seeing the whole of Seoul for the first time, eating samgyeopsal with friends, being told 'you speak Korean really well!' or having children running up to you to shout 'HELLO!'. It's things like that that just make it all worth it for me and make me forget the trivial ****. Living in Korea has reinforced my love for this country, but it has also made me more opened minded to accept that somethings are 'just the Korean way'.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending