The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Korean Studies 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by vabbian
Yeah I thats what I thought, Chinese and Korean have their individual difficulties, I will do better in Korean because im more interested in the culture and am determined :biggrin:
How many hanja characters are there roughly?

Also, the whole thing about the amount of places for the course makes me much more happy ^_^
Im guessing they don't hold Korean lectures and such in big halls due to small amount of students? Are the classes awkward? XD

Well, there are about as many hanja as Japanese has kanji... literally thousands and thousands. But for Korean we don't have to learn that many because they're only used in academic writing now.

Well, you don't have lectures for language classes. Lectures are for studies modules, and they're in big halls. And yep, even Korean history, culture, business etc are in big halls. Also, you won't be the only people who will be studying Korean. Other people from different departments, and usually Japanese and Chinese students take up first year Korean aswell. So don't expect to be in a class of only 4 people. Those days are long gone lol.

Korea and Korean are more popular than you think. Give them a bit of credit yeah? :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 221
Original post by 0w3n-69
Well, there are about as many hanja as Japanese has kanji... literally thousands and thousands. But for Korean we don't have to learn that many because they're only used in academic writing now.

Well, you don't have lectures for language classes. Lectures are for studies modules, and they're in big halls. And yep, even Korean history, culture, business etc are in big halls. Also, you won't be the only people who will be studying Korean. Other people from different departments, and usually Japanese and Chinese students take up first year Korean aswell. So don't expect to be in a class of only 4 people. Those days are long gone lol.

Korea and Korean are more popular than you think. Give them a bit of credit yeah? :smile:

Ah yes times are changing, just alot of past reports I have heard the Korean course to be pretty empty :P but I guess due to the Hallyu wave and such it's popularity is increasing :biggrin:

It all seems so exciting ^o^ just hope it doesn't like become TOO popular by this time next year when I have to apply hehe, do you know of anyone that's dropping off after your year in Korea? I wonder how many people actually complete the course
Reply 222
Original post by vabbian
Ah yes times are changing, just alot of past reports I have heard the Korean course to be pretty empty :P but I guess due to the Hallyu wave and such it's popularity is increasing :biggrin:

It all seems so exciting ^o^ just hope it doesn't like become TOO popular by this time next year when I have to apply hehe, do you know of anyone that's dropping off after your year in Korea? I wonder how many people actually complete the course

Hopefully the Hallyu wave won't bring too many insane kpop fans... I heard that on one of the open days the year I applied some girls only asked our lecturers about kpop concerts or something :facepalm: ... I went to the Japanese open day at SOAS and someone asked about anime and I just died a little inside. Still, more students mean more exposure I guess.

It shouldn't be too popular. Since Sheffy's grades are as high as SOAS requirements there is no competiton now, so the people who would have stood a chance now don't because of the higher grades needed.

I've heard one girl has definately dropped out of the year abroad, and possibly more? I don't really know, I'm not in contact with everyone. I think two dropped out among the current first years at the moment... people just can't handle the pressure of an Asian language I think. It's a lot of work, and it's not for everyone.

Some people change to East Asian studies after the year abroad I guess because it's less work. I think only 4 people graduated with Korean degrees last year.
Reply 223
Original post by 0w3n-69
Hopefully the Hallyu wave won't bring too many insane kpop fans... I heard that on one of the open days the year I applied some girls only asked our lecturers about kpop concerts or something :facepalm: ... I went to the Japanese open day at SOAS and someone asked about anime and I just died a little inside. Still, more students mean more exposure I guess.

It shouldn't be too popular. Since Sheffy's grades are as high as SOAS requirements there is no competiton now, so the people who would have stood a chance now don't because of the higher grades needed.

I've heard one girl has definately dropped out of the year abroad, and possibly more? I don't really know, I'm not in contact with everyone. I think two dropped out among the current first years at the moment... people just can't handle the pressure of an Asian language I think. It's a lot of work, and it's not for everyone.

Some people change to East Asian studies after the year abroad I guess because it's less work. I think only 4 people graduated with Korean degrees last year.

Oh dear. Yeah, some people are deluded if they want to commit themselves to a whole degree just for kpop/anime. Mmm, at the end of the day unis are there to make money, so the more students applying for a course the better.

Yeah it's ABB now & £9k a year asdfghjkl. :angry: I still think I fan get the grades though, so it should be fine :smile: and I already live in London so don't want to go to soas but I will still apply for it :smile:

Woah, it must be a difficult decision to drop out of a course, especially when you've been at it for a year and are in a different country :redface: if you drop out of a course do you just move to a different one or a different uni altogether?

Wow only 4 people with Korean degrees D: would be pretty awesome to be one of those 4,im guessing it must be really hard then to complete the course nevermind get something like a firsts in it :3
Original post by 0w3n-69
Hopefully the Hallyu wave won't bring too many insane kpop fans... I heard that on one of the open days the year I applied some girls only asked our lecturers about kpop concerts or something :facepalm: ... I went to the Japanese open day at SOAS and someone asked about anime and I just died a little inside.

Ugh, these were two of the things I was worried about when applying and going to the Open Day, hopefully I won't see any at the Departmental one or in September if I get in.
Reply 225
Original post by ZombieYoshi
Has anyone else applied to Student Finance yet? I can't find Korean Studies or Korean Studies with Japanese on the course finder for Sheffield D:

I haven't even looked at it yet ;n; Did you find anything out?
Original post by taeace
I haven't even looked at it yet ;n; Did you find anything out?

I decided I'd give it up until a later time D: There was some way of putting in your course if it wasn't in the list but I couldn't be bothered at the time. I'm also annoyed that I have to send them evidence of my identity and stuff 'cause my passport is expired.
Reply 227
Original post by vabbian
Oh dear. Yeah, some people are deluded if they want to commit themselves to a whole degree just for kpop/anime. Mmm, at the end of the day unis are there to make money, so the more students applying for a course the better.

Yeah it's ABB now & £9k a year asdfghjkl. :angry: I still think I fan get the grades though, so it should be fine :smile: and I already live in London so don't want to go to soas but I will still apply for it :smile:

Woah, it must be a difficult decision to drop out of a course, especially when you've been at it for a year and are in a different country :redface: if you drop out of a course do you just move to a different one or a different uni altogether?

Wow only 4 people with Korean degrees D: would be pretty awesome to be one of those 4,im guessing it must be really hard then to complete the course nevermind get something like a firsts in it :3

I love kpop but Korea really interests me XD
And sob yeah £9k.. at least the year abroad is only £3k? or is it £2k.. ;n; My exams are on 24th and 25th pretty scared tbh but I am more confident about my english, my classics not so much ;N; And I live in manchester so it would have cost to go to either one ;n; sheffield is closer and so I just applied there ^^
only 4 people????? ;A; and so that's like through every year people drop out huh? Kind of daunting... WE CAN DO IT.
Reply 228
I decided I'd give it up until a later time D: There was some way of putting in your course if it wasn't in the list but I couldn't be bothered at the time. I'm also annoyed that I have to send them evidence of my identity and stuff 'cause my passport is expired.

;n; I don't even have a passport omg. What ID can I give ;A; :eek:
Reply 229
Original post by taeace
I love kpop but Korea really interests me XD
And sob yeah £9k.. at least the year abroad is only £3k? or is it £2k.. ;n; My exams are on 24th and 25th pretty scared tbh but I am more confident about my english, my classics not so much ;N; And I live in manchester so it would have cost to go to either one ;n; sheffield is closer and so I just applied there ^^
only 4 people????? ;A; and so that's like through every year people drop out huh? Kind of daunting... WE CAN DO IT.

Oh is the 3k for the year abroad not ontop of the 9k? :s
Do well in your exams or you'll have to speak in Engrish to Taemin when you marry him >o<

Don't worry about the 4 people :smile: just think of how gratifying it will be to speak Korean near fluently by the time the 4 year course is over! It'll all be worth it :biggrin:
Reply 230
Original post by vabbian
Oh is the 3k for the year abroad not ontop of the 9k? :s
Do well in your exams or you'll have to speak in Engrish to Taemin when you marry him >o<

Don't worry about the 4 people :smile: just think of how gratifying it will be to speak Korean near fluently by the time the 4 year course is over! It'll all be worth it :biggrin:

Yeah, instead it it being the full amount it's only 3 or 2!!
SOB, it's tired me out so much. I officially hate Shakespeare for writing Hamlet |: and kekeke I think Taemin speaking engrish is adorable :3
It would definitely! :biggrin:
Reply 231
Original post by taeace
Yeah, instead it it being the full amount it's only 3 or 2!!
SOB, it's tired me out so much. I officially hate Shakespeare for writing Hamlet |: and kekeke I think Taemin speaking engrish is adorable :3
It would definitely! :biggrin:

Wahh that's awesome, less debt! ^o^ yay for being less poor
Ahh I didn't take English, the closest I come to essay writing is psychology. I just hate how subjective English exams are! It scares me :redface:

Park Bom already speaks English, I will never get to speak in Engrish to her *cries*
Reply 232
Original post by vabbian
Wahh that's awesome, less debt! ^o^ yay for being less poor
Ahh I didn't take English, the closest I come to essay writing is psychology. I just hate how subjective English exams are! It scares me :redface:

Park Bom already speaks English, I will never get to speak in Engrish to her *cries*

YAY DEBT! XD We don't have to pay it back till we earn over 25k so it's not too bad ;n;
orz I took all essay subjects ;-; english language, english literature and classical civilisation. The english exam is alright, I'm more confident on my language because all you need to know basically is terminology but for literature we're doing hamlet and blake and it's 50% each and we're not allowed any texts in the exam... so we have to memorise quotes DX
You could still! Pretend that you're not english! XD
Original post by taeace
;n; I don't even have a passport omg. What ID can I give ;A; :eek:

I'm just assuming it'll be my birth certificate or something...

Also, to go on with the exams. History re-sit tomorrow, barely any revision :biggrin: I have high hopes!! ._.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 234
I'm just assuming it'll be my birth certificate or something...

Also, to go on with the exams. History re-sit tomorrow, barely any revision :biggrin: I have high hopes!! ._.

Aaaah yeah I guess; I just take my birth certificate, I do all the time when they need identification ^^
sob omg, good luck! Usually resits are easier? I have a friend who had to do the history resit but he said it went pretty well! I just wish mine were like last week so they'd be over and done with ;n;
Original post by taeace
Aaaah yeah I guess; I just take my birth certificate, I do all the time when they need identification ^^
sob omg, good luck! Usually resits are easier? I have a friend who had to the history resit but he said it went pretty well! I just wish mine were like last week so they'd be over and done with ;n;

Well I got an A and C, giving me an overall B, and I'm resitting the C. So even if I fail I still have an overall B so it's not all bad. Although in the little revision I have done I seem to be remembering things easier than last time as if it's all been laying dormant in my mind since last year :tongue: Plus it's a Source paper so it's easier than the paper I got an A in :tongue: I dunno, I'll find out in March!

I'm not too stressed this month since I have no exams other than this resit :tongue:
Reply 236
Well I got an A and C, giving me an overall B, and I'm resitting the C. So even if I fail I still have an overall B so it's not all bad. Although in the little revision I have done I seem to be remembering things easier than last time as if it's all been laying dormant in my mind since last year :tongue: Plus it's a Source paper so it's easier than the paper I got an A in :tongue: I dunno, I'll find out in March!

I'm not too stressed this month since I have no exams other than this resit :tongue:

You lucky zombie then ;-; that's exactly like my Classics OTL, but I think it was a pretty low B though ;n;
Reply 237
Original post by taeace
YAY DEBT! XD We don't have to pay it back till we earn over 25k so it's not too bad ;n;
orz I took all essay subjects ;-; english language, english literature and classical civilisation. The english exam is alright, I'm more confident on my language because all you need to know basically is terminology but for literature we're doing hamlet and blake and it's 50% each and we're not allowed any texts in the exam... so we have to memorise quotes DX
You could still! Pretend that you're not english! XD

I plan on becoming an English teacher for like 2 years after uni to spend more time in Korea and pay off most Of the debt,:cool:
Ah I have bad memories of English literature, in lower school I remember having to do Macbeth like 383759291 times ToT if you have good memory then you should be fine for your exams :smile:

Mmm I could chat park bom up like "herro me no speak Engrish desu desu desu" hehe xD
Although me n park bom are already married she just don't know it yet >_> *awkward*
And there is like a 12 year age gap between me and her D: /FOREVER SOBBING
Well if you stay in Korea you don't have to pay it off since you can't get taxed for it :wink:
I have a friend who is doing korean at sheffield university and she loves it :P Nega Jail Jal naga!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending