The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Korean Studies 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by 0w3n-69

Under Korean law you cannot teach in schools legally without a degree and you can't even get a job in the country whilst on a student visa. You can face deportation.

'Cash in hand' style language exchange is okay, but anything more than that if you get caught it can be fairly serious. Still, I do know people who have found work... you just need to be careful.

Very different to China then. I had a working visa and although i studied with my wife i could walk into any uni to study for a short term course. perhaps you could look at just going there to study rather than here, you will pick up the language, culture and all things Korean much faster than at sheff - not to mention save a fortune!
(edited 12 years ago)
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
With the return of my English remark today and it's improvement to an A I now have AAB at AS, and hopefully AAA after re-sitting one of the papers for the B. I'm feeling more confident I can get the A2 grades now! :biggrin: Hopefully I'll be learning alongside you all this time next year~
Reply 42
omg ZombieYoshi~! Saaaaaaame! I'm predicted AAB. oh god. I really doubt I can get though.. /: and about my ucas, bahahahahhaa. I was stupid, oh god >< MY TUTOR NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT IT! It's the really simple things full of just common sense that are out to get me, seriously. o.o
And yeah, I hardly have any money as it is, I don't have a card or anything because my mum doesn't trust me handling money, lol. So working in Korea is a big no no no at the moment.
I have two exams in January, english literature and english language and so if I pass them two really well (hoping A in Lit and B, or A, in Language) that means I just focus on Classics in summer! Yaaaaaaaaaay!
Never thought I would be excited in saying that /sob.
Good luck to everyone!~
Yeah, I'm predicted AAA, and although I don't think I'll get that I'm more confident of being able to achieve ABB now I have AAB (hopefully AAA after January) to build upon.

I can't say much about UCAS, I put all my A Levels in the A2 section :3 It's a good thing they had to return it to me to update the English Literature mark anyway. I only have one History resit in January and my first General Studies A2. Which reminds me, since Sheffield accept General Studies (I think) that makes me even more confident haha.
Reply 44
O M G.
NO?! THEY ACCEPT GENERAL STUDIES? WAAAE. THAT IS MY DOOM. OMG. I GOT A D LAST YEAR. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :{
and sob omg you're smart o.O
I do feel ishy confident about ABB, and tbh I take easyish subjects (English and English anyways, not as much Classics)
Original post by taeace
O M G.
NO?! THEY ACCEPT GENERAL STUDIES? WAAAE. THAT IS MY DOOM. OMG. I GOT A D LAST YEAR. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :{
and sob omg you're smart o.O
I do feel ishy confident about ABB, and tbh I take easyish subjects (English and English anyways, not as much Classics)

Well I know they accept it for some courses, and although they're not exactly clear for which ones I see no reason for East Asian Studies not to be one of them since it's not exactly Medicine or something. That you got a D probably doesn't matter because I assume they care more about your proper three haha.

Well my subjects are History, English and Classics, and I've always been pretty good at essay writing lol, although I'm not sure about Classics despite by some miracle of God getting an A in it after a year of getting Ds and Es.

I actually got the best AS grades out of all of my friends, which was weird because I'm used to being the mediocre one of the group, especially since most of them got 3+ A*s at GCSE and I got none :tongue:

But yeah, I'm still worried about ABB, but I suppose it's natural D:
Reply 46
*cries*
and lol, I went on the 'korean studies' thingy and I found:
Re: Chinese Studies
Yikes guys, Korean is overrunning Sheffield's forum right now! Let's get back to Chinese
^
sobbbb. THAT'S US. WAHEY. WELL DONE ME FOR STARTING THIS THREAD X3
anywayssss. Aaa so do you do English combined? o.O I would have done that.. but I had no other lesson to choose from because I was already like 'I don't know what to doooo'
I went to Sheffield today actually! :] But it's only because my whole family live there, but they live in Killamarsh which is like a bit away from Sheffield Uni. So I've been told I am welcome to stay at my Grandma's sometimes and visit her and steal her food. Which is good, because she has nice food there. ><
Nah, I only do Literature.
I saw the Chinese thing too and got all proud :tongue:
I'm all the way down here in Devon so I don't have the luxury of visiting Sheffield whenever I please D: Just getting to the Open Day was bad enough.

Ooo, I'll have to make sure to befriend you so I can go steal your grandma's food too >:3

Also, just a little extra:
Does anyone in this thread have any good Korean films or dramas to recommend, since I'm still pretty new to Korean media? Preferably films since I found hour long drama episodes hard to cope with after being so used to 23 minute anime and J-dramas, and despite my uneventful life and because I'm lazy I somehow find it hard to put aside the time from my mindless internet browsing regularly for hour long episodes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 48
Aaaah only lit?
It's terrible, on a Monday I have like double English Literature and then after break double English Language >< /cries
yeah well Sheffield's about 2 hours away from me, the car journey is still pretty hellish tbh, your butt gets so numb omg. But on a train it is so much more quicker, like an hour?
HAHAHA, yeah; we can invite everyone and head off to my grandma's. She has chocolates. yum.
AND OMG YOU YOU YOU .. rjfbhiureferkjd I have loads okay. Too many omg.
korean dramas:
Full House, Boys Over Flowers, You're Beautiful, My Princess, Secret Garden, 49 Days, A Good Day For The Wind To Blow, Dream, Mary Stayed Out All Night, Coffee House, Goong (Princess Hours) , City Hunter, Coffee Prince, Flower Boy Ramyun Shop, God Of Study, My Name is Kim Sam Soon
Movies: 200 Pounds Beauty, Baby and I, My Black Mini Dress.

Yeah. ENJOY~
Original post by taeace
Aaaah only lit?
It's terrible, on a Monday I have like double English Literature and then after break double English Language >< /cries
yeah well Sheffield's about 2 hours away from me, the car journey is still pretty hellish tbh, your butt gets so numb omg. But on a train it is so much more quicker, like an hour?
HAHAHA, yeah; we can invite everyone and head off to my grandma's. She has chocolates. yum.
AND OMG YOU YOU YOU .. rjfbhiureferkjd I have loads okay. Too many omg.
korean dramas:
Full House, Boys Over Flowers, You're Beautiful, My Princess, Secret Garden, 49 Days, A Good Day For The Wind To Blow, Dream, Mary Stayed Out All Night, Coffee House, Goong (Princess Hours) , City Hunter, Coffee Prince, Flower Boy Ramyun Shop, God Of Study, My Name is Kim Sam Soon
Movies: 200 Pounds Beauty, Baby and I, My Black Mini Dress.

Yeah. ENJOY~

On the Open Day I woke up and left at 6am, and got home at 9pm. You have no right to complain :tongue:
Ooo, chocolate:biggrin:

Woah, big list haha. I already downloaded 49 Days a while ago, and I've heard Boys Over Flowers a lot so I think I'll try that out too. I'll Wikipedia the films and the rest of the dramas :tongue: I also downloaded the movies The Host and The Man From Nowhere last night as they seem to have made a lot of money and I'll probably watch one of them today.
Reply 50
Original post by ZombieYoshi
Nah, I only do Literature.
I saw the Chinese thing too and got all proud :tongue:
I'm all the way down here in Devon so I don't have the luxury of visiting Sheffield whenever I please D: Just getting to the Open Day was bad enough.

Ooo, I'll have to make sure to befriend you so I can go steal your grandma's food too >:3

Also, just a little extra:
Does anyone in this thread have any good Korean films or dramas to recommend, since I'm still pretty new to Korean media? Preferably films since I found hour long drama episodes hard to cope with after being so used to 23 minute anime and J-dramas, and despite my uneventful life and because I'm lazy I somehow find it hard to put aside the time from my mindless internet browsing regularly for hour long episodes.

Hey! Can I recommend you a couple of good Korean films?

My recommendations are:

1. The Host (this is defintely one of the most popular among foreigners, go and have a look at any DVD shop in your area and you can possibly find it. I even saw this DVD in a DVD shop in New Zealand!)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468492/

2.Spring, summer, fall, winter...and spring.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374546/

3.The Good, the Bad, the Weird
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0901487/

You should try all three of them when you have time.
Have a look at the basic plots and reviews written by other foreigners on each film, which may be quite useful for you to get some background knowledge prior to watching them.

Also good luck with your Korean studies at uni, I'm Korean who's going to the UK next year. Cheers. (:

+) Oh I forgot another two!

4.The Chaser
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1190539/

This film was released in the UK as well as Korea when it was made.

5.it's a bit old one but if you like a romantic-comedy movie, worth watching. There is even a re-make version of this film by Hollywood.

My sassy girl
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293715/
(edited 12 years ago)
Well like I said in my last post I've already got The Host and I'll probably watch that one today, but thanks for the other recommendations, I'll check out their plots and stuff later :biggrin:
Reply 52
I recommend you watch anything by Kim Ki-duk and Park Chan-wook... they're the Gods of Korean cinema and the reason why the world has become obsessed with the country's incredible film industry! Korea hosts Asia's most important film festival too! :nods:

'Spring, summer, fall, winter...and spring' mentioned above is one of Kim's films. Very good.
Well, I just watched The Man From Nowhere (Ajeossi) because I decided to download a higher quality The Host. Loved it, nice emotional ending like I like too :tongue:

I'll watch The Host then look into all these recommendations, which I didn't expect so many of haha :tongue: Thanks all :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 54
Sorry, ambushing your thread from the Chinese one, but I am curious about these Korean dramas/films...

Do you watch them in Korean with subtitles? Or can you understand enough Korean to not use them?

Should I be watching Chinese ones? O_O
I use subtitles. All my Korean extends to is a few greetings, counting, and a few other things :tongue:

You don't have to watch Chinese ones, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt. I'm mainly doing it to get used to hearing the language and maybe pick up some culture. Plus they're not bad movies and shows either :tongue:

Don't mind ambushing, I accidentally made the Chinese one about Korean and Japanese for a bit a month or so ago >.<
Reply 56
Haha yeah I remember :biggrin: But hey, we're all East asian languages, surely we can all get along!! :biggrin:

Really struggling with my personal statement currently, I NEED to send it off after this half term, hurry hurry hurry!

I might look into some Chinese films then, thanks for the idea!
Well, I'm downloading Dream, City Hunter, Boys Over Flowers (Dramas), The Good, The Bad, The Weird, My Sassy Girl, The Chaser and Spring, summer, fall, winter...and spring (Films).

Now to look a bit more at the directors Owen suggested :biggrin:

Only one Kim Ki-Duk film really stood out for me: Dream
Then for Park Chan-Wook: The Vengeance Trilogy, Thirst, Joint Security Area and I'm a Cyborg, But That's Okay.
Then there's another film called Taegukgi which sounded interesting.

I'm not sure how many of these I'm actually going to get around to watching haha.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 58
City Hunter is a very fun and intense drama!! Plus Lee Min Ho is... :coma::perv::colondollar: loll
I got an e-mail from Sheffield and I thought "damn, that was fast!" - but when I read it, it was only just to say they were reviewing my application >_<!
Reply 59
omg they send an email saying they are reviewing your application? O__O SCARY EJRBFHRUIE. omg where is mine seriously, I bet my tutor hasn't even sent it off yet omg.
AND GUYS GUYS GUYS! Did you know about the Korean Film Festival in London this year? SHINee IS GOING TO BE THERE I THINK, I MEAN I REALLY THINK IT IS LEGIT OMG. I'm trying to get a ticket bahaha, they'll be watching I think it's 'War of the arrows' too with the fans but I don't think I can go to that, but it'd be so awesome to omg.
And yeah I watch them with subs too, I watch japanese and taiwanese dramas too! So it's not just all korean >< And I saw the Chinese Mulan, legit sobbed at that to be honest..
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending