Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Korean Studies 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by vabbian
thank you so much for replying :adore:
I've looked at the modules for both courses and both go up to the same standard of korean by the end of the 4 years, so what are the benefits of taking just korean studies and not a double?

are you already on the course? is it difficult? how many hours a week are you at lectures? is it mostly independent study? what is the % pass mark for modules and stuff? sorry for so many questions xD

hmm i could take general studies :cool: I'm just thinking would they be more likely to accept me if i took a more "challenging" A level, so to speak. I have been interested greatly in korean culture for around 4 years now, I dont think its just some "phase" Im going through, so I think Id be able to commit to the course when I decide to apply :biggrin:

The benefits of doing single hons or not comes down to you really. I love doing single hons, because I can study all things about Asia. That's a positive for me. I don't necesarily want to go into 'business' as it were after graduation, so therefore the /with business option didn't appear for me.

I'm currently on my year aboard in Seoul. To put it bluntly, the year aboard so far has been the best and the most stressful time of my life. You have to work so ****ing hard too. It's all so so worth it though.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 161
Original post by 0w3n-69
The benefits of doing single hons or not comes down to you really. I love doing single hons, because I can study all things about Asia. That's a positive for me. I don't necesarily want to go into 'business' as it were after graduation, so therefore the /with business option didn't appear for me.

I'm currently on my year aboard in Seoul. To put it bluntly, the year aboard so far has been the best and the most stressful time of my life. You have to work so ****ing hard too. It's all so so worth it though.

Hmmm if you do double do you come out more 'qualified' at the end of the course? Ahh im so jealous of you!! Would love to go to Seoul!!! Do you find it to be taxing work? Of you have interest in the subject is the work enjoyable? Also what is the homework like for the first year? Do you have to write loads of essays and stuff?
Reply 162
Original post by vabbian
Hmmm if you do double do you come out more 'qualified' at the end of the course? Ahh im so jealous of you!! Would love to go to Seoul!!! Do you find it to be taxing work? Of you have interest in the subject is the work enjoyable? Also what is the homework like for the first year? Do you have to write loads of essays and stuff?

You do the same language modules as everyone else so you all come out as qualified as each other no matter what degree combination... the only difference is you would be technically more suited to a job involving business management after graduation because of the skills in that field you learnt too... whereas a single hons student would have a knowledge of Asian history, literature or politics which would potentially make them more employable in those fields. You see?

The work on the year abroad is enjoyable yeah, but it's very intense. You can't become fluent in an Asian language overnight unfortunately, so a lot of effort and hard work is needed.

Well I had some knowledge of Korean before starting, so I didn't really do much of my homework lol. It's fine though, don't worry about it. Korean studies is a lot kinder homework-wise on it's students in first year :smile:

You don't have to write essays for Korean language no, but I had to write essays for my studies modules. I assume business management studies had essays for their business modules too, but I'm not totally sure.
Reply 163
Original post by 0w3n-69
You do the same language modules as everyone else so you all come out as qualified as each other no matter what degree combination... the only difference is you would be technically more suited to a job involving business management after graduation because of the skills in that field you learnt too... whereas a single hons student would have a knowledge of Asian history, literature or politics which would potentially make them more employable in those fields. You see?

The work on the year abroad is enjoyable yeah, but it's very intense. You can't become fluent in an Asian language overnight unfortunately, so a lot of effort and hard work is needed.

Well I had some knowledge of Korean before starting, so I didn't really do much of my homework lol. It's fine though, don't worry about it. Korean studies is a lot kinder homework-wise on it's students in first year :smile:

You don't have to write essays for Korean language no, but I had to write essays for my studies modules. I assume business management studies had essays for their business modules too, but I'm not totally sure.

Thanks for your replies :biggrin:DDDD ahh I might just do single honours then. The only reason I thought of picking business along side is because I'm not of Asian decent and they don't really like the idea is Korean.
I think I'm up for the work ^o^ it will be more of an interest to me than a subject so I will put the hours in. Do you think since the classes are so small for Korean there isn't much interest of are lots of people applying for the course and just not getting in? I would love it if it wasn't the latter cause that would mean an almost guaranteed place provided I get the grades >_<
How many people have dropped off the course since you started it? Whats needed to get into the second year? Like grade/percentage wise :smile: thanks again
I think I'm going to thrown in a question too: Does the course start off more concerned with building your vocabulary, or does it build a base on knowledge of the grammar? I tend to find when I've dabbled in Korean and Japanese that if I start off with the grammar I tend to do better...
Reply 165
Hey i am currentley studying an extended diploma in photography level 3 (worth 3 a levels) and I was wondering if anyone knows if my course choice in college will hold me back from gettig onto this course? I have also yet to send my personal statment off, will a convincing personal statment to show how much im interested in korea language/culture etc get me through? I am wanting to become an english teacher in korea :smile:
Closest I can see on the page for the course is Advanced Diploma, and it doesn't have Photography, plus you need an A Level with it: Advanced Diploma - Business, Administration & Finance grade A, Creative & Media grade A, Manufacturing & Product Design grade A, Society, Health & Development grade A, Public Services grade A, Retail grade A, plus grade B in an acceptable A Level subject
Reply 167
It also says "BTEC - DDM in a relevant subject area" :frown: but what would be relevant?:| on the Advanced diploma requirment a create/media grade is fine! So does this mean photography is for BTEC? I dont want wanna be held down by the choices i made a few years ago! D;
Reply 168
Original post by vabbian
How many people have dropped off the course since you started it? Whats needed to get into the second year? Like grade/percentage wise :smile: thanks again

Two people have dropped out so far. One in first year, and one has dropped during the year abroad. To get into the second year you need to pass every module you take. Simple as that :smile:

Original post by ZombieYoshi
I think I'm going to thrown in a question too: Does the course start off more concerned with building your vocabulary, or does it build a base on knowledge of the grammar? I tend to find when I've dabbled in Korean and Japanese that if I start off with the grammar I tend to do better...

You learn vocab and grammar evenly as you go. The vocab lists increase a fair amount once you reach second semester.

Original post by Kimchi19
It also says "BTEC - DDM in a relevant subject area" :frown: but what would be relevant?:| on the Advanced diploma requirment a create/media grade is fine! So does this mean photography is for BTEC? I dont want wanna be held down by the choices i made a few years ago! D;

I suggest you email the deparment on this. They'll get back to you in the new year and give you the advice you're looking for :smile:
Reply 169
Yeah i already emailed the department a few days ago :smile:)) just hope it wont be too late to send of my personal statement! How many places are there for the course do you know?0.0
Reply 170
Can you do more a levels alongside a degree if their onlne and your living at home does anyone know if its possible thank you :smile:
Reply 171
you should pick something you enjoy. Because unless you're like incredibly hardworking then if you're taking an a-level you dont enjoy you're just not going to be motivated to put in the necessary work to get the grades uni's require, especially if you have to self teach half the AS stuff. At the end of the day i dont think any A-levels are easy enough that it makes a considerable difference, the things you enjoy will be the things you find easier.

Just try not to take too many of one kind of subjects (e.g all essay subjects like im doing). Although im good at essays when it comes to revision and the workload i think i would apprieciate doing a subject like science or maths now (even though i hated them at GCSE) just so i could have a break from essay writing.

Haha sorry i rambled a bit ^^ Summary: take something you enjoy and try to have a balanced range of subjects. Btw I have an offer for Chinese studies at sheffield (i just like to stalk this thread) :tongue:
Reply 172
I'm applying; for Japanese Studies at Leeds, Sheffield and Oxford Brookes, as well as;

Sheffield; Japanese Studies with Korean
SOAS; Japanese Studies and Korean

I don't know whether to eliminate one of the above and apply for just Korean Studies at Sheffield?

I'm applying as a 'mature' student as my health ****ed up my a-levels so I'm trying to think of the one I'm most likely to get accepted to. I've had conditional offers for all in the past, but I think SOAS is harder to get into...
Japanese Studies with Korean? I swear that isn't an available course at Sheffield? Unless you meant Korean Studies with Japanese?

As for most likely to get accepted into, Korean isn't as popular as Japanese, so it might be easiest. My offer for Japanese is also higher than my Korean and Korean with Japanese offers, but I don't know if that's been the case for others or why it as so...
What textbooks are used in the first year of Korean studies, out of interest? And how useful/practical have you found them? I know the one used in first year Chinese is pretty outdated.
Reply 175
Original post by Livvyxo
I'm applying; for Japanese Studies at Leeds, Sheffield and Oxford Brookes, as well as;

Sheffield; Japanese Studies with Korean

Original post by ZombieYoshi
Japanese Studies with Korean? I swear that isn't an available course at Sheffield? Unless you meant Korean Studies with Japanese?

Yeah, you must be mistaken surely. Japanese Studies with Korean used to be offered but it was deemed far too hard for students to cope with and the program was dropped. That's what I heard anyway. This happened a number of years before I started at Sheffield.

I seriously doubt the department would bring the program back... I could be wrong though :confused:
Reply 176
Original post by Laura.Laurent
What textbooks are used in the first year of Korean studies, out of interest? And how useful/practical have you found them? I know the one used in first year Chinese is pretty outdated.

We used Seoul National uni textbooks 1 and 2 in first year. They were only really used for reading classes though, we mainly used Korean materials tailored specially by our department which did the job.
Reply 177
so did you need to buy books and textbooks? Or can you get those cheaper from older students...
Reply 178
Original post by taeace
so did you need to buy books and textbooks? Or can you get those cheaper from older students...

Not really wise asking older students I'd be scared to ask personally
Reply 179
Original post by Aylish
Not really wise asking older students I'd be scared to ask personally

A lot of students sell on textbooks, it's fairly common! We're not that scary haha. Some might be up for selling them, but it's better to have your own so you can make your own notes on them.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending