The Student Room Group

Whether love marrige is good or arranged marriage has a thrill feeling

I think love marraige gives satisfaction and arranged marraige gives us a new feeling:smile:

Scroll to see replies

How can you describe an arranged marraige as thrilling? I would find it scary.
Reply 2
Original post by RainbowDoll
How can you describe an arranged marraige as thrilling? I would find it scary.

they are exactly the same thing, you are meeting someone new, if you like meeting new people you will be excited. the reason i dont like arranged marriage is because only i know whats best for me.
Original post by Cringe
they are exactly the same thing, you are meeting someone new, if you like meeting new people you will be excited. the reason i dont like arranged marriage is because only i know whats best for me.

But meeting new people to be friends with is totally different to getting married to a stranger. If you find you don't get on with that person then it will be harder to just walk away.
Reply 4
Kind of like a lottery ticket I guess. Could win an absolute cracker of a jackpot!

No in all seriousness it would be a very unpleasant way of living in my opinion. But then cultures are there to be respected and not criticised.
Reply 5
Arranged marriage does not necessarily mean you're marrying a stranger, it's just that you get introduced and then get to know each other (kinda like a dating website except you meet through your relatives and not an actual site, but similar concept). Really annoys me when people are opinionated about things they have no knowledge of.

But yeah, marriage in general if it's with the right person should give you both, no matter how you met :smile:
arrange marriage will be by no means 'thrilling' for me.

And yes, before you ask, I'm Asian.
Original post by House Dagoth
arrange marriage will be by no means 'thrilling' for me.

And yes, before you ask, I'm Asian.

are u asian blad :rolleyes:
Reply 8
But usually those who arrange marriage, stay together still the end. because they know divorce is not really an option,as it is still degraded in their culture.

and a love marriage ends up in being a single mother. and then the kids mess up and then they wanna know their real dad. bla bla bla
Reply 10
Original post by Willpesh
Kind of like a lottery ticket I guess. Could win an absolute cracker of a jackpot!

Except if you don't get all the numbers you win a prize of misery for the rest of your life (or shame on you and your family.) NO THANKS LOL.
Reply 11
Original post by Lollyage
Arranged marriage does not necessarily mean you're marrying a stranger, it's just that you get introduced and then get to know each other (kinda like a dating website except you meet through your relatives and not an actual site, but similar concept). Really annoys me when people are opinionated about things they have no knowledge of.

And how much is this getting to know each other? In any case I've heard, maybe 3 or so meetings. Don't pretend it's the same as meeting someone for yourself with a long and happy romance, because it isn't.
Reply 12
Original post by Cicerao
And how much is this getting to know each other? In any case I've heard, maybe 3 or so meetings. Don't pretend it's the same as meeting someone for yourself with a long and happy romance, because it isn't.

I don't know about cases you've heard, but my parents technically had an arranged marriage and they knew each other for a year before getting married. Maybe that's longer than a lot of couples but there's a massive difference between arranged marriages and being forced to marry a complete stranger (not saying this doesn't happen, but this isn't what arranged automatically means.)

You can't really compare either, because people who have arranged marriages are from a different culture in which it's the norm, and most people who have them aren't miserable about it - clearly the OP is from a culture where it's normal. I just wanted to clear up the stereotype people have of arranged meaning forced, abusive and horrible.
Reply 13
Original post by Lollyage
I don't know about cases you've heard, but my parents technically had an arranged marriage and they knew each other for a year before getting married. Maybe that's longer than a lot of couples but there's a massive difference between arranged marriages and being forced to marry a complete stranger (not saying this doesn't happen, but this isn't what arranged automatically means.)

You can't really compare either, because people who have arranged marriages are from a different culture in which it's the norm, and most people who have them aren't miserable about it - clearly the OP is from a culture where it's normal. I just wanted to clear up the stereotype people have of arranged meaning forced, abusive and horrible.

Okay. Thanks. I do know that arranged isn't the same as forced.
Reply 14
Original post by spoorthi.varadi
I think love marraige gives satisfaction and arranged marraige gives us a new feeling:smile:

Surely you would need to experience both formats to give a reliable verdict. The 'feelings' in both cases may be very similar, or may be radically different in the same format depending on the person involved?
A new feeling, when it comes only once in your life, isn't my kind of novelty.
Reply 16
Original post by Cicerao

How can two individuals reliably decided on a commitment such as marriage after just meeting each other 3 times. Surely it would be advisable to actually live together practically as a rehearsal to find out whether marriage would be realistic?

I guess some people have much higher risk appetites than others though.
Reply 17
Original post by Cicerao
Okay. Thanks. I do know that arranged isn't the same as forced.

Don't get your point then.
Reply 18
Original post by Cicerao

This.

With the vast majority of arranged marriages, the two parties aren't in love on their wedding day. That's incredibly sad. You should marry someone because you can't live without them. Not because you get on with each other alright.
Reply 19
Arranged marriage is a tricky one I guess... someone's views on it would probably depend largely on their personal experience of it. You could marry someone who you love forever, or someone you find kinda boring, or someone who abuses you, you just never know.
Personally I wouldn't wanna do it but I have respect for that way of doing it... you can't deny it maintains well the idea that marriage is two families coming together, because the families are so involved.... in a lot of western marriage now a wedding is all about the bride, and it shouldn't be like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending