The Student Room Group

Do they have chip spice all over the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'm not even southern, I'm a midlander and I've never seen it in my life! Sorry... sounds tasty though
Reply 41
I'm from Sheffield and have only ever seen it in Germany.
Never seen it before. Looks good though.
Reply 43
Original post by kerily
Up where I am at least (near Hull), we have chip spice on our chips, which is the most gorgeous concoction :sexface:

The 'American' part of the logo has always made me naively think that it's something you'll get all over the country. But speaking to Southern friends, they don't seem to know what it is. Which has made me quite concerned, as I don't really eat chips without it, so if this is true, I'll have to invest in kilos for uni :awesome:

Does anyone know if you can get it down South, or will I have to introduce people to my... native cuisine? :wink:

Ahahahaha, I'm from Hull! I was born in Bradford and now I live in Leeds and they don't have it! Ugh.
I've never seen it or heard of it, and I live in Yorkshire-a tradition only in the East Riding, I suppose! :lol:
Reply 45
Original post by someperson
in dewsbury from some asian shop:p:

it's ok...just a mixture of spices and salt, mainly paprika

Dewsbury :rofl: should have known :tongue:

Oh I see.... masala chips :tongue:
Oh that stuffs amazing. There is a small fast food chain in my area that puts it on their chips, they call it 'red salt'. It is essentially the peri peri salt they use in Nandos. Tastes the same to me anyway.
Original post by Uzzy?
Dewsbury :rofl: should have known :tongue:

Oh I see.... masala chips :tongue:

:rofl:

basically, yh:p:
Reply 48
Original post by alexmagpie
I've never seen it, and I'm from Liverpool. But my family are from Hull, and I've never seen them eat it either.

No wonder your family were exiled from Hull to the bleak wastelands of Liverpool :wink: Blasphemy!

I shall be investing in VATS AND VATS for uni then :smile:

You poor deprived children, not having it in the south/the Midlands/anywhere outside of Hull...

I've never tasted anything like it, but it's sort of like flavoured salt. Not really very spicy, but very moreish (god alone knows what's actually in it).
Reply 49
I'm originally from South-East Yorkshire and have never in my life heard of chip spice. Chips 'n' Gravy on the other hand, mmmmmmm . . . :coma:
Reply 50
Original post by Einheri
I'm originally from South-East Yorkshire and have never in my life heard of chip spice. Chips 'n' Gravy on the other hand, mmmmmmm . . . :coma:

Without wanting to be a massive creep, where on earth is South-East Yorkshire? Do you mean the south of East Yorkshire (in which case you'd be from Hull and thus would definitely have heard of it, unless you'd never been to a chippy :tongue:) or do you mean the east of South Yorkshire?
Reply 51
Original post by kerily
Without wanting to be a massive creep, where on earth is South-East Yorkshire? Do you mean the south of East Yorkshire (in which case you'd be from Hull and thus would definitely have heard of it, unless you'd never been to a chippy :tongue:) or do you mean the east of South Yorkshire?

I mean the south-east of South Yorkshire, not the East Riding.
Reply 52
I'm from Hull and you've gotta love chip spice :biggrin: but they don't seem to do it away from Yorkshire :frown:
Reply 53
Original post by TigerJack
I'm from Hull and you've gotta love chip spice :biggrin: but they don't seem to do it away from Yorkshire :frown:

A gentleman of discerning taste, I see :wink:

I am seriously gutted that it's not travelled anywhere other than my little corner of the world. I'll have to introduce London to it! It's just so good :sexface:

Original post by Einheri
I mean the south-east of South Yorkshire, not the East Riding.

That makes sense and explains why you've not heard of it :smile:
Reply 54
I'm from Essex but I live in Hull now, and chip spice has been a GLORIOUS discovery. I've never seen it anywhere else, and nobody I know outside of Hull has ever heard of it, which is crazy because it's so tasty it should be sold everywhere!

(For people asking, it's kind of like the stuff you get in Nandos but it's less spicy).
I saw this recently when I got haddock and chips in Hull.

You can't get it in Nottingham that's for sure.
You can get paprika and salt anywhere, its just only in 'ull that they actually put it on your chips for you. I quite often put it on my chips at home.
Reply 58
I live near Liverpool and I've never heard of it.
Original post by FunkeyMunkey
Yeah now that I think about it I have had it before at Tinsel town! It takes like paprika. Very nice makes the chips taste a lot better. I just never knew what it was called. I want to buy it now :smile:

Edit: I've just googled it and apparently they sell it at Tesco. Yay!

Share the link! :tongue:

Is it the Nando peri-peri salt or like it in some way?

And what's the name OP is referring to? XD

Quick Reply

Latest