Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Can't be myself around flatmates...

Announcements Posted on
Are you at uni? Can you help prospective students with their questions? We're looking for uni forum assistants 19-11-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just can't.

Yeah I did go out on nights out for freshers and had a great time but now it's like... I dunno. I don't mean to brag or anything but are your flatmates alright or not? Anybody in the same position as me?
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    How do you act around them?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just try and talk to them and ask them if you want to eat dinner together so try and create situations where you spend time with them so you get to know them
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    How do you act around them?
    First few days I was being myself and after that it's like... dunno. We hardly click on the same levels and when I met my coursemates earlier this week, we click on so many levels.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickR92)
    First few days I was being myself and after that it's like... dunno. We hardly click on the same levels and when I met my coursemates earlier this week, we click on so many levels.
    I wouldn't worry about it tbh. Over time as you get used to each other you will probably become more comfortable around them.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry about it tbh. Over time as you get used to each other you will probably become more comfortable around them.
    I doubt it. I can get along with mostly anyone but I think they think of themselves too much and just vein. There's this guy and he's attractive (I'm straight) and he lives in Sheffield. And he still ****in.g rates people on a scale of one to ten and I'm like Jesus man, grow up. You're at uni, not secondary. I think he despises people too and it's like everybody follows him (not exactly), I'm not saying for them to follow me... know what I mean? I feel like I'm bitching but I'm not.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it. I can get along with mostly anyone but I think they think of themselves too much and just vein. There's this guy and he's attractive (I'm straight) and he lives in Sheffield. And he still ****in.g rates people on a scale of one to ten and I'm like Jesus man, grow up. You're at uni, not secondary. I think he despises people too and it's like everybody follows him (not exactly), I'm not saying for them to follow me... know what I mean? I feel like I'm bitching but I'm not.
    Yeah I know what you mean. Remember it is only for a year and not everyone will get on with their flatmates. You can make friends with people in the surrounding flats and maybe just try to be friendly to the guys in your flat.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know what you mean. Remember it is only for a year and not everyone will get on with their flatmates. You can make friends with people in the surrounding flats and maybe just try to be friendly to the guys in your flat.
    I'm always friendly, like I said, I can get along with mostly anyone but these guys are just... they just think too highly of themselves man.

Thanks, appreciate it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's like... I dunno.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You wont be friends with everyone. Especially flatmates. Just be courteous and friendly and leave it at that. If you dont become the best of pals then no loss.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it. I can get along with mostly anyone but I think they think of themselves too much and just vein. There's this guy and he's attractive (I'm straight) and he lives in Sheffield. And he still ****in.g rates people on a scale of one to ten and I'm like Jesus man, grow the **** up. You're at uni, not secondary. I think he despises people too and it's like everybody follows him (not exactly), I'm not saying for them to follow me... know what I mean? I feel like I'm bitching but I'm not.
    Ergh. I hate these kind of people. My previous housemates said himself that he has nice eyelashes, because of his mixed ancestry, and at the same time stroking it in front of me.

My internal reaction was like: so?!

Before that I complemented her sister that came to our house for a visit, has some mixed ancestry look to her. How his eyelashes suddenly popped out from the conversation I don't know.

Yeah I know he has one but does he need to tell me and at the same time stroke it?! For those who think I'm jealous, I'm not. I could give a **** if a dude has nice eyelashes. But to show it off and stroke it...come on. Even girls don't do that.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Ergh. I hate these kind of people. My previous housemates said himself that he has nice eyelashes, because of his mixed ancestry, and at the same time stroking it in front of me.

My internal reaction was like: so?!

Before that I complemented her sister that came to our house for a visit, has some mixed ancestry look to her. How his eyelashes suddenly popped out from the conversation I don't know.

Yeah I know he has one but does he need to tell me and at the same time stroke it?! For those who think I'm jealous, I'm not. I could give a **** if a dude has nice eyelashes. But to show it off and stroke it...come on. Even girls don't do that.
    You should of been like * hispanic accent* "That's really gay man"
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I guess this is just part of life. There are people you will like, some you will hate. Some who will be selfless, some who will be vain.

My advice would be to just make the best of a bad situation. Obviously be civil and polite to your flatmates, but use this as an opportunity to branch out and make friends in other flats.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Computerised)
    You should of been like * hispanic accent* "That's really gay man"
    Should have just gave him this expression really.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    two of my flatmates are really chummy spending all their money and going out. i told myself not to spend al of my mediocre cash before i get my loan plus ive already been out in the city and find it a bit of a bore now.

its been six days and theyv already brought strange men into our flat which is a little concerning. on the other hand i have two other flatmates who i havent said more than ten words to ...

its going to take a while to get used to
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just can't.

Yeah I did go out on nights out for freshers and had a great time but now it's like... I dunno. I don't mean to brag or anything but are your flatmates alright or not? Anybody in the same position as me?
    I think you managed not to. :erm:
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truechristian91)
    You wont be friends with everyone. Especially flatmates.
    Flatmates won't be friends but friends can be flatmates.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just can't.

Umm... It's ok... You didn't. Bless, you don't need to cover your back that much :rolleyes:

As to the whole 'being yourself' thing, I would say just relax and eventually you will figure how you each work Sure, you may have your differences but who doesn't?? I mean (now excuse me for my geekiness here ) F.R.I.E.N.D.S was based on different pursonalities, right? And there was some wonderful times with those five living together

Good luck, OP.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katypurples1012)
    Umm... It's ok... You didn't. Bless, you don't need to cover your back that much :rolleyes:

As to the whole 'being yourself' thing, I would say just relax and eventually you will figure how you each work Sure, you may have your differences but who doesn't?? I mean (now excuse me for my geekiness here ) F.R.I.E.N.D.S was based on different pursonalities, right? And there was some wonderful times with those five living together

Good luck, OP.
    Thanks lol. And it wasn't geeky at all... I love Friends! Have "The one with all 10 seasons" (H) I've figured em' out and tbh, some are cool and some are come and go... It's not a bother.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same suitatuin they have all clicked and its like oh....fun times. so yeah looking for people to live with next year! x

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 6, 2011
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.