The Student Room Group

Going to uni to do languages .. a possibility?

Hello!
I have always had the ambition of studying both French and Spanish at university. However the universities I have looked at generally have (according to 2012 prospectus and internet) the A level grade offer of AAB.
However I received at AS:

French: A
Spanish: B
Maths: B

However! I had only studied Spanish for 20 weeks, from scratch without even doing it at GCSE level , therefore obviously narrowing my chances of an A grade. I managed to get 157 UMS (3 ums off an A ! -angry face- )

So my question is, with that as a circumstance and with (hopefully) better grades at A2 (hopefully AAA perhaps a cheeky A*!) will universities with a typical AAB offer still be likely to accept me?

thanks for your help, and I apologize for the number of brackets used.
Reply 1
Of course. There's plenty of universities that'll be willing to have you, perhaps you'll have to look out of the top 15 though as most specify AAB grades with the As in French and Spanish, I think Southampton may be one of the higher unis with ABB offers (not 100%, so check). Those grades are great, you sure will get accepted in a lot of unis!
Reply 2
Original post by Dinglevak
Hello!
I have always had the ambition of studying both French and Spanish at university. However the universities I have looked at generally have (according to 2012 prospectus and internet) the A level grade offer of AAB.
However I received at AS:

French: A
Spanish: B
Maths: B

However! I had only studied Spanish for 20 weeks, from scratch without even doing it at GCSE level , therefore obviously narrowing my chances of an A grade. I managed to get 157 UMS (3 ums off an A ! -angry face- )

So my question is, with that as a circumstance and with (hopefully) better grades at A2 (hopefully AAA perhaps a cheeky A*!) will universities with a typical AAB offer still be likely to accept me?

thanks for your help, and I apologize for the number of brackets used.

Of course, that will be fine! There are plent of unis that offer lower than AAB and I'm sure you'll be able to bring it up anyway :smile: Don't forget to support your PS with other things as well though if you are aiming for the higher unis like visits to the country, work experience, or other relevant stuff.
Are you only doing 3 AS levels? Not that it matters, just wondering :smile:
Reply 3
thanks for the feedback ! My question is though... is it worth me applying to an AAB university which is perhaps in the top 23?

I did General Studies as well... If that counts and ICT... but those are like.. my 3 main results/subjects haha =]
Reply 4
Last year at Lancaster a degree in Modern Languages (3 languages - 2 post A level and 1 from scratch) needed BBB. Which I did find strange because all other degrees involving languages at Lancaster asked for ABB. Lancaster is a good top 10 uni in all league tables.
Reply 5
Original post by eve1293
Last year at Lancaster a degree in Modern Languages (3 languages - 2 post A level and 1 from scratch) needed BBB. Which I did find strange because all other degrees involving languages at Lancaster asked for ABB. Lancaster is a good top 10 uni in all league tables.

Thanks a lot :smile: A bit off topic however, but if you were to fail that language you were doing from scratch.. would you be left to carry on with the other 2 ?
Reply 6
Original post by Dinglevak
Thanks a lot :smile: A bit off topic however, but if you were to fail that language you were doing from scratch.. would you be left to carry on with the other 2 ?

Oh I really don't know, sorry. It might be different for each uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending