The Student Room Group

Should the government enforce a rule for how many kids a family/couple can have?

Lets be honest, It's getting ridiculous in this country now. Teenagers sleeping with each other and procreating innocent human beings, then having the daddy leave and single mums having to raise 1, 2, 3+ kids on their own while daddy goes on a permanent walkabout. Should the government enforce a law similar to "student finance" where families earning more money can have a maximum of 2-3 kids, but families earning very low income/no income should not be allowed to have children. If they then decide to have children, they should be fined a hefty amount. Do you think a law like this would ever work? Because something needs to be done about the overpopulation of our country.
Reply 1
I think people enjoy freedom too much to allow a oppressive government dictate their lives in such a way.
Reply 2
Original post by Procerus

Original post by Procerus
I think people enjoy freedom too much to allow a oppressive government dictate their lives in such a way.

Maybe, but I feel bad for the future generation in this country in 40 - 50 years. What is going to be left of our countryside? Parks? and greenery? More homes are being built left, right, and centre! The country is overpopulated right now and we're only a small Island! Alcohol should be harder for young teens to get hold of too. Parents letting their kids go to parties at 12/13 years old with alcohol! That is just subconsciously encouraging them to get out of control. I'm not trying to be a prude, but this country is in a terrible way at the moment and something needs to be done about it.
Reply 3
Original post by TheEnigmaUK

Original post by TheEnigmaUK
Maybe, but I feel bad for the future generation in this country in 40 - 50 years. What is going to be left of our countryside? Parks? and greenery? More homes are being built left, right, and centre! The country is overpopulated right now and we're only a small Island! Alcohol should be harder for young teens to get hold of too. Parents letting their kids go to parties at 12/13 years old with alcohol! That is just subconsciously encouraging them to get out of control. I'm not trying to be a prude, but this country is in a terrible way at the moment and something needs to be done about it.

We are overpopulated but the problem isnt young people. The problem is we have too many old people. As more and more retire the costs of their pensions and NHS care are going to get higher and higher. At some point 50% of the population will be pensioners, especially cause people are living longer now.

"65% of Department for Work and Pensions benefit expenditure goes to those over working age, equivalent to £100 billion in 2010/11 or one-seventh of public expenditure."

There won't be enough young people to pay the taxes to look after older people. So it's no so simple as limiting the number of people being born.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending