The Student Room Group

Too embarrassed to go to the gym...

Scroll to see replies

At the end of the day, I have respect for anyone who wants to make a change for themselves and start training and improving their body and health. In my opinion, the gym/training/dieting lifestyle is by far the most fun and rewarding way to live your life. The people that laugh at the overweight/obese people in the gym are a disgrace, i applaud them for having the courage and determination to train and want to make a change for themselves despite the obvious hardships they would face. At the end of the day, its all up to how much you want it yourself. Some people dont care that much and are happy with their bodies and its not a big issue for them, good for them, but for anyone to take the piss out of and ridicule anyone trying their best to lose weight/gain muscle and make a change for themselves, especially if they are finding it hard due to their genetics, make me sick. If you want it, you will get it, and will eventually prove the haters wrong. And that is one of the best feelings a human being can experience.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Magic Dust

As the title says, I am too embarrassed to go to the gym. I am worried that people will look at me and think I am really fat, or judge me for being unfit. This is heightened by the fact it is the uni gym and full of beautiful people :sad:

Any advice?

Why do you think people judge others? Because their own lives aren't very good. You're at the gym to get in shape, so why would people judge you? There's people who eat junk and drink alcohol all the time without working out, so kudos to you for working out and getting healthy.
Original post by zKlown
I don't, I laugh and point at people exercising

People that exercise are below me

Below you, are they? :colone: (Sorry!!!)

Oh well, you have to be able to take some pointing and laughing. It's better than the alternative. Good luck OP, I did it, and it's so worth it!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 63
people to go the gym for a number of reasons, including to loose weight?!

mate you will be fine, once you do it the first time, you'll be fine

FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN!
Reply 64
Original post by Octohedral
Below you, are they? :colone: (Sorry!!!)

Oh well, you have to be able to take some pointing and laughing. It's better than the alternative. Good luck OP, I did it, and it's so worth it!

Really?

I was joking...

Never come across any laughing and pointing in a gym
Original post by zKlown
Really?

I was joking...

Never come across any laughing and pointing in a gym

Sorry, I thought you were just a troll. :smile:

I don't know. I've never been laughed at to my knowledge, but there probably are a few people like that, sadly. Most people are nice, though, particularly in gyms because everyone there has the same aim.
Gyms are made for people to come and improve themselves physically (and mentally). Hence, you will see many different shapes at one: skinny teenagers, overweight people and then the rarity (built men/cardio bunnys).

No one cares at the gym what you look like and in fact will think well of you for showing some effort...

Trust me once you been a few times and got over that initial fear, you'll have no trouble for then on
Reply 67
Why would you feel embarrassed when you're doing something about your weight if it concerns you?

It's got to be done. Don't worry if the posers in the gym give you odd looks. Those genuinely interested in the gym and health/fitness will not care about your appearance; if anything I suspect they will find it admirable that you're taking a pro active stance.

Go for it mate.
Reply 68
Too anyone who is reading this because they too are a wimp, and too scared to go to the gym. Go. If you can, go in the morning as it is usually empty. I've just got home from my 7:30 gym session and I feel so much better. What is even more satisfying is finding out I can run! I ran for ten minutes today, which to many people wont seem like much, but to me is a small victory as I really am awful at running. I has also made me want to eat healthier because I don't want to ruin my efforts.

Thank you to everyone for your advice :cute: I am really glad I went.
Reply 69
And do what? I don't own any equipment etc.

buy one of those resistance bands, they're only £10 and you can do like 100 different exercises with them.
Don’t go at peak times, then the gym won’t be populated with copious fitness fanatics :biggrin:
Reply 71
Its a vicious cycle! Run out side for a few weeks while the weather is nice, and then go :smile:
Too anyone who is reading this because they too are a wimp, and too scared to go to the gym. Go. If you can, go in the morning as it is usually empty. I've just got home from my 7:30 gym session and I feel so much better. What is even more satisfying is finding out I can run! I ran for ten minutes today, which to many people wont seem like much, but to me is a small victory as I really am awful at running. I has also made me want to eat healthier because I don't want to ruin my efforts.

Glad you went too and I'm sure after going for the first time you want to go back to the gym again plus when you were exercising I'm sure all the fears you had about going was no longer in your mind
Reply 73
i go to the gym and when i see *fat* people come in i try to make them as welcome as i can.

if they are at the gym that means that they have noticed their weight and are going to do something about it
i treat those people with alot of respect. and offer encouragement when i can.
Reply 74
Original post by Chrisateen
Glad you went too and I'm sure after going for the first time you want to go back to the gym again plus when you were exercising I'm sure all the fears you had about going was no longer in your mind

It took a few times for me to like it. But after finding 7am is so quiet I have enjoyed it a lot more :smile: Indeed they are all gone, although I do still feel self-conscious when I come out all sweaty!
Reply 75
It took a few times for me to like it. But after finding 7am is so quiet I have enjoyed it a lot more :smile: Indeed they are all gone, although I do still feel self-conscious when I come out all sweaty!

I used to have this problem.

I had to start out walking outside because I couldn't bear even to run outside where I lived in case anybody I knew drove past and noticed that I wasn't fit.

I talked myself round after realising that I'm not going to get the body I want by doing nothing, and that in six months time once the exercise has taken effect, I won't give a damn what I looked like all that time ago, I'll just be happy that I did make the effort!

Well done you!
Reply 76
I've seen some really overweight people at the gym - it's probably daunting at first but to be honest, the reason you go to the gym is to lose weight and get fit so there's no need to be embarrased, if anything be proud that you've summoned the courage to even get into the gym and work out.
(edited 12 years ago)
I too am a gym-phobe. I'm tempted to join one because theres a groupon deal for fitness first memberships today. But I will find some excuse, and then not even care about the money I spent lol.

I started swimming a year or so ago, then stopped after I left uni. But the gym scares the life out of me.

Instead I buy cheap fitness DVD's off amazon, and watch pilates classes on youtube (not sure about the legalities of this tho)
I am determined to start running soon, I imagine it would be quite calming and a way to clear your head. But I'm looking for cheap trainers as I don't think you can jog in Primark shoes haha.
As the title says, I am too embarrassed to go to the gym. I am worried that people will look at me and think I am really fat, or judge me for being unfit. This is heightened by the fact it is the uni gym and full of beautiful people :sad:

Any advice?

EDIT: Too anyone who is reading this because they too are a wimp, and too scared to go to the gym. Go. If you can, go in the morning as it is usually empty. I've just got home from my 7:30 gym session and I feel so much better. What is even more satisfying is finding out I can run! I ran for ten minutes today, which to many people wont seem like much, but to me is a small victory as I really am awful at running. I has also made me want to eat healthier because I don't want to ruin my efforts.

:facepalm:

Firstly, no one cares who you are or how you do.
Secondly, if you are that fat, then you could lose a lot of the weight just by eating right to begin with.

Original post by Meg Griffin
I too am a gym-phobe. I'm tempted to join one because theres a groupon deal for fitness first memberships today. But I will find some excuse, and then not even care about the money I spent lol.

I started swimming a year or so ago, then stopped after I left uni. But the gym scares the life out of me.

Instead I buy cheap fitness DVD's off amazon, and watch pilates classes on youtube (not sure about the legalities of this tho)
I am determined to start running soon, I imagine it would be quite calming and a way to clear your head. But I'm looking for cheap trainers as I don't think you can jog in Primark shoes haha.

Read above. No one gives a **** about who you are. They are at the gym for themselves, not to compete with you.
I know how you feel....starting gym at 6ft 1 weighing a mighty 60kg, i was embarassed about going...however it was the best thing i did as if you swallow your pride and go regularly, you can make a real difference and be happy about your body...i'm now 85kg and have over trippled my starting lifts

Quick Reply

Latest