The Student Room Group

Suggest me a good book to read

Scroll to see replies

Adapt by Tim Hartford? Its a good read and has an attitude of business about it, but it goes into details on other areas, spanning from governments to ballet, all relevant to the theme of the book, Why success always begins with failure
Thanks for the suggestions! Any others?
Reply 2002
Are you into science/ philosophy at all? Because then I'd highly recommend Stephen Hawking's books. I'm not even into science and they completely hypnotized me.
if you like novels:

Ghostwritten by David Mitchell

The Wind-up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami
Original post by Fhyr
I just re-read my favourite series of books- The Old Kingdom trilogy by Garth Nix.
It's a YA series, and it would probably be considered dark fantasy/adventure. It has an amazing magic and necromancy system (in my opinion, it even beats HP in that regard), and reads really realistically. It also manages to have talking animals that don't draw the book away from the serious themes- how Nix manages this, I'm not entirely sure...
Anyway, they're worth reading and I can't praise them highly enough!

I read that years ago and its still up there as some of my favourites. i remember limiting myself to only reading a chapter at a time because i didnt want it to end!
Reply 2005
Spike Milligan's Silly Verse For Kids.
8)
Original post by the bear
if you like novels:

Ghostwritten by David Mitchell

The Wind-up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami

One sentence synopsis on what these books are about?
Reply 2007
In complete contrast to the above:

Paradise Lost. The character of Satan is so intriguing (and gets so many convincing lines). The fact that Milton was blind when he wrote all those glorious descriptions is astounding, too.
Original post by ehc
Spike Milligan's Silly Verse For Kids.
8)

:yy:

Have you read his novel 'Puckoon'?
I just read a book called 'A Kiss Before Dying' by Ira Levin.

It's so good! I was actually openly reacting to the book on the train, and got so into it that I nearly missed my stop.

Anyone read it?
Reply 2010
Original post by Fingersmith
:yy:

Have you read his novel 'Puckoon'?

No I haven't. I've read his war memoirs and I'm pretty sure my dad has a copy of Puckoon somewhere so maybe that'll have to be next.
Reply 2011
how about 'Middlesex': covers the subject of intersex against american history- it is very readable
Title says it all - what was the scariest book you've ever read?
Bump! As I'm looking for some recommendations
I know Stephen King is a well known horror writer but I don't know how scary his books are as I haven't checked them out yet.
Reply 2015
I am looking for some crime books, based on real life crime, if anyone has any ones that they have read that they really liked (or found terrifying) please let me know the name and author of the book!??! :biggrin::biggrin:
The Shining terrified me! Granted, I was only 13, but still! Reading the bathroom scene just before bed, then waking up to the sound of dripping water...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2017
'The Exorcist' by William Peter Blatty.

'Pet Semetary' by Stephen King.

'Books of Blood Volumes I-VI' by Clive Barker (collection of short stories.)

Those three got under my skin, definitely.
Right this book that properly freaked me out is 'Mr Tickle' now it's a bout this guy with freakish arms, a genetic defect at birth, and he tickles people randomly, in a sort of attack, scary stuff!
The bible, just as well it's a work of fiction. :lolwut:

:ahee:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending