The Student Room Group

Suggest me a good book to read

Scroll to see replies

I can't remember the title, but I picked it up in a second-hand bookshop when I was about nine years old. It was a collection of ghost/horror stories from Europe - so you had the werewolf in Eastern Europe that was killed by a silver bullet (IIRC) and the beautiful vampire, etc. But the one that had gave me the creeps the most though was the story of a creature that lived on Dartmoor that would prey on young women. I remember reading that on Sunday morning with the sun streaming in through the windows, feeling absolutely terrified :s-smilie:
Prey by Michael Crichton - I've read it so many times and each time I am scared to pick it up again, but its so good I can't not!
Literally gave me nightmares.
Reply 2022
Edexcel FP2 Maths D:
We need to talk about Kevin - by Lionel Shriver
Reply 2024
Raven's Gate - Anthony Horowitz
Reply 2025
In a Glass Darkly - Sheridan Le Fanu
It - Stephen King.
Reply 2027
Original post by dgeorge
I'm looking for some recommendations

read this: http://chuckpalahniuk.net/features/shorts/guts
The exorcist - it takes a while to get into but is really good. a bit disturbing though :/ i would recomend it if you like that sort of thing :biggrin:
For some reason most of Stephen Kings books never really caught me as "scary"

I thought The Shining was somewhat scary, and Pet Semetary and Cujo were a bit, but he veers into really strange territory in books like it.
Room 13... Robert Swindells. Well, it was scary when I read it like 6 years ago xD
The Collected Ghost Stories by M.R James. Creepy stuff.
From what my sister has told me, Karin Slaughter is good

Or there's a series called "Infected" by Scott Sigler, which isn't that scary, more gory
Blair Witch Case Files :afraid:
Reply 2034
I haven't read it but would do at some time.

My friend always chastises me for lack of books I've read, however she's an English student who's read many trees worth and I'm a maths student who has read some stuff. :P

Here are things I've read and enjoyed and some genres I'd be interested in.

Oliver Twist
The Outsider - Albert Camus
Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
Adrian Mole series - Sue Townsend
My Booky Wooky - Russell Brand

I like short books and I'd prefer futuristic/dystopian themes. I like coming of age stories and travelling in literature. I also like current affairs or anything about 1950+. I don't mind autobiographies. I like music a lot, especially the 80s.

What would you recommend?
If you like futuristic/dystopian themes then I recommend:

Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
The Handmaids tale - Margaret Atwood
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Phillip K Dick
The Man in the High Castle - Phillip K Dick
The Penultimate Truth - Phillip K Dick
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
1984 - George Orwell
V - Thomas Pynchon
Slaugherhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegurt
Ah yeah, Philip K Dick = Gary Numan's inspiration. I'll add it to the list. :smile:
You should read the Stranger...Oh just kidding the outsider is just a different title. That was a good book though (:

Perhaps you'd like:

Therese Raquin by Emile Zola
Catcher in the Rye by JD salinger
The great Gatsby (Love this book!)
A Hero of our time by Mikhail Lermontov
A street car named Desire (it's a play, but it's good nonetheless)
Animal Farm by George Orwell
I'll second Brave New World - it's probably my favourite novel ever. It's an essential read, and it's quite rich in terms of themes so should leave you with plenty to talk and think about.

It's reasonably long at just over 400 pages, but Another Country by James Baldwin is what I'm reading at the moment, and I suppose it may well appeal to you. It's a gorgeous chronicle of the friends, family and lovers of a Brooklyn jazz musician playing each other. It's probably the most 'human novel I've ever read; almost all of the characters can be related to largely vie their flaws, which Baldwin examines pretty mercilessly. The descriptions and some of the monologues can test your patience at times, but it really pays off. As a bonus, yur English friend probably hasn't read it. :wink:

Jack Kerouac's On the Road is another novel you should quite enjoy. I think it's Bob Dylan's favourite book; or at least he said of it that "it changed [his] life, just like everyone else's". The Beat Generation as a whole came out with great writing, especially for people like me who find themselves enamoured of with '60s/'70s America. At that, Charles Bukowski's "Post Office" is an excellent novel written by a wino.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending