The Student Room Group

Suggest me a good book to read

Scroll to see replies

"fight club" and "choke" by chuck palahniuk and anything by nicholas sparks is absolute rubbish
I had no idea of Japanese culture or traditions but that didnt stop me from ABSOLUTELY loving memoirs of a geisha... it is such a good read, and v. enjoyable !
Reply 2122
If anyone is into urban fantasy, I highly recommend 'The Dresden Files' by Jim Butcher. Each book gets better and better. :smile:
I'm about to finish The Catcher in The Rye, it is very good!

Edit: just finished it; I really liked Holden!
(edited 11 years ago)
Looking for Alaska - John Green, just finished reading it for the billionth time :daydreaming:
Can I just say that I'm not sure why the southern vampire mysteries are under young adult. I'm sure if you went into any bookshop they'd be in the adult section.Trueblood is NOT for kids. I don't think it's any less explicit than stephen king novels for instance. Hence why the DVDs are all 18s. Twilight is young adult (teeny bopper). Trueblood (and the southern vampire mystery books that it's based on) is meant to be grown ups only.

My current favourite book is 'fifty shades of grey' by E.L. James. I bought it on saturday night at about 10pm and I finished it today (514 pages) despite having college all week. I just couldn't put it down and I can't wait to get my hands on 'fifty shades darker' and 'fifty shades freed'.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm trying to get into reading a bit and I'm reading 'World War Z' at the moment, but I'm also looking for other books I should look into after. If it helps in terms of movies and television shows, the genres I usually watch include science fiction, fantasy and thrillers.
Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch is really good.
The Harry Potter series, has always been my favourite and I imagine it always will be :tongue:
I really love the house of night books by P.C and Kristin Cast. I also love my sister's keeper by Jodi Picoult, P.S I love you by Cecelia Ahern or the mortal instruments by Cassandra Clare. I guess those books are my favorite ones. :smile:
Original post by warriorheart
I really love the house of night books by P.C and Kristin Cast. I also love my sister's keeper by Jodi Picoult, P.S I love you by Cecelia Ahern or the mortal instruments by Cassandra Clare. I guess those books are my favorite ones. :smile:

I've read the House of Night series until Hunted.
I need a good book recommendation. I'm using my computer way to often and it's leading to insomnia so a good book before bed should help.

I don't like books like the Lord of The Rings of Game of Thrones. The sort of set in the past fantasy? I want something where while reading I'd like to think "Wow this book is mind blowing". Maybe something that was a true story?

The last books I read were the Da Vinci code and harry potter.. yeah. The Da Vinci code was mind blowing to me but I want to move away from that.

So, can anyone recommend a very good book in that sort of area? I don't mind books set in the past of course, provided there is a truth to it unlike the books I mentioned above. "Before I go to sleep" seems to be getting great reviews.

Thanks in advance!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by El Torres

The last books I read were the Da Vinci code and harry potter.. yeah. The Da Vinci code was mind blowing to me but I want to move away from that.

So, can anyone recommend a very good book in that sort of area? I don't mind books set in the past of course, provided there is a truth to it unlike the books I mentioned above. "Before I go to sleep" seems to be getting great reviews.

Thanks in advance!

If you liked Harry Potter, you might like The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins.

FYI, The Hunger Games series should be added to Young Adults (fiction) or just general fiction, since HP is also under there...

And Autobiographies/biographies: Life and Laughing: My Story (Michael McIntyre) - comedic too!
To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Junk - Melvin Burgess
Original post by ktlaurenroe
Looking for Alaska - John Green, just finished reading it for the billionth time :daydreaming:

loving the +rep for this post :h: mentioning John Green brings the nerdfighters out of the woodwork :holmes:

I most recently read the Hunger Games, so I'll recommend those books - they're quite good.
The Pig That Wants to be Eaten
Finished exams so want a book that I can relax and read. They both appear pretty easy-going. Which would you recommend?
Personally I love both, if you're looking for an easy read i'd go for the hunger games, if you're looking for something that will last longer (the GOT books are pretty long!) and a bit more 'adult' the go for Game of Thrones.
Game of Thrones can be a bit of a trudge, especially when you're reading one of the books that excludes your favourite characters in favour of less interesting ones.
Other than that Game of Thrones is awesome.
I would go with hunger games, overall I found the series more enjoyable and its nice and easy :smile: Currently on the 3rd GoT book and although overall I like the series, the chapters for some characters I found myself reading them just to get through them and on to someone more interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending