Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Suggest me a good book to read

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dunneemagoo)
    What books should I read?

I have never really read any in my life, not because I can't or I'm uneducated, but because I've never had much of a passion for imagination through reading. I'm going to University in september, and I think this is really a chance for me to excell myself. I honestly can remember only a handful of books I have read through school: Of mice and men, Blood brothers, and A mid summer nights dream; other than that no "story" books come to mind, just educational texts relating to specific topics for revision.

I spent 5 years after high school with no direction or motivation to forfill the potential I know I have, now I have matured I realise the benefits I have missed out on. I don't want to arrive at University with any disadvantages, I have plenty of time to improve my: vocabulary, communication, reading, writing, and overall intelligance; through reading.

As I have read so little in the form of books I don't really have any ideas as to what I would like, albeit I did like the three fictional books I read at school.

Can you please recommend me some good books to read, with a little opinion maybe or even a description as to what the book is about.

Ps. I don't like Harry Potter, and most Fantasy/Sci-fi style stories bore me; horror is a no go, complete bore.

Thank you x
    A series of Unfortunate Events is possibly the best written book of all time.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You should read some of Bill Brysons stuff, he's pretty good, it's all non-fiction accounts of various things here and there, really recommend it. Also check out Cormac McCarthy, his stuff varies a lot between novels but The Road and No Country For Old Men are just excellent
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrs_bellamy)
    Just to let you know this thread is about a year old! Hopefully the OP has found something to read. Still some great suggestions though.
    hmmm, didn't check the date this was posted haha. I just saw that there was a reply on here recently and decided to waste some time
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe try any Kazuo Ishiguro books. They are very easy to read yet have deep storylines that really draw you in. 'Never Let Me Go' is beautiful.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doskey)
    Maybe try any Kazuo Ishiguro books. They are very easy to read yet have deep storylines that really draw you in. 'Never Let Me Go' is beautiful.
    agreed
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Arthur Koelster - Darkness at noon
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Anyone know any good books about virus outbreaks that kind of thing?
    Try The Stand - Stephen King. It's really very good, one of Kings best IMO, it's a bit of a long read but well worth it
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    Catch 22 by Joseph Hillier (I think). One of my all time favourite books.

Edit: Sorry, it's Heller!
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjd2k)
    A series of Unfortunate Events is possibly the best written book of all time.
    Lolita takes that one for me.
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Harry and his bucketful of dinasours for the theme your going with.
    Otherwise, Ronald Dahl, the jungle book etc?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Kingfish...3589363&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dinosaur-Tro...589363&sr=8-10

These books are also fantastic: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Daft-Stack-S...3589460&sr=1-1 (look under "customers who bought this item also bought")
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Harry and his bucketful of dinosaurs, Dinosaurs before dark and Danny and his dinosaur.

General bookswise - The tiger who came for tea (ahh the memories...), anything by Roald Dahl and my 8yo son recommends Artemis Fowl
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    50 Shades of Grey.
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    50 Shades of Grey.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    We read Omnibombulator and The Owl Who Was Afraid Of The Dark in Year 3 and I loved them. And the Lighthouse Keeper series! Not exactly dinosaur themed but they're brilliant books for that age group
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    the hungry caterpillar
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Celestine Prophecy
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Harry Potter
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Goosebumps

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 7, 2014
New on TSR

Get ready for SQA results day

Share your grade expectations for Tuesday 5 August

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.