The Student Room Group

Suggest me a good book to read

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2480
Dracula, at the beginning at least, has a great mysterious, castle setting. If you don't mind the old style, you might like the classic gothic novels and short stories, The Castle of Otranto, Vathek, Nightmare Abbey, The Monk, Frankenstein, to name a few.

One or two short stories from Carter's The Bloody Chamber come to mind, for some reason. The stories vary in the book, but each has a distinct mark of darkness and mystery, with servants and occasionally castles to boot.
The Gormenghast trilogy by Mervyn Peake is really very good and is almost completely set in a castle. It's a bit hard to get into but once you do get into it it's very hard to put down :smile:
The Help
Author : Kathryn Stockett

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
Author : Reg Keeland, Stieg Larsson

Strengths Finder 2.0 : Now, Discover Your Strengths
Author : Tom Rath

The Secret
Author : Rhonda Byrne

The Power of Self-Healing Unlock Your Natural Healing Potential in 21 Days!
Author : Fabrizio Mancini
Embers by Sándor Márai :yep:
Harry Potter :colone:
Wilkie Collins 'The Moonstone' has a servant narrator for some parts, being rated as the first 'detective' mystery novel.
I personally like it the least of Collins' works but I think it might suit you.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Some good books set in a castle/manor:

-The Other Boleyn Girl ~ Philippa Gregory (isn't particularly dark or mysterious but is a ridiculously book).
-Wither ~ Lauren Destefano (YA Dystopian. Has a mystery element to it)
-Flowers in the Attic ~ Virginia Andrews (quite dark, especially towards the end. Is about children but was intended as an adult novel)

Vampire books:

-The Last Vampire ~ Christopher Pike (This has a kickass heroine. About 8 books in the series)
-Parasite Positive ~ Scott Westerfeld (Am reading this now and it's pretty good)
-Night World series ~ L.J. Smith (Series of 9 books, new one coming out soon. First 3 aren't brilliant but the second three are great. She also wrote the vampire diaries series)

Hope you find these helpful. :smile:
I recall reading Charlotte's Web at that age don't really remember what else I read. It is hard to look back at what I read at what age, but I recall and incident based around the fact I was reading Charlotte's Web so I know I read that then.
Reply 2488
Original post by BlueSkyGirl

-Wither ~ Lauren Destefano (YA Dystopian. Has a mystery element to it)

I second this book^^ it's pretty good
And for vampire books maybe try the 'morganville vampires' series by Rachel Caine (more gory than your average sparkly vampire series)
Or you could try 'the hunt' by Andrew fukuda which is kind of a post-apocalyptic, end of humanity/vampire mashup, it's a good read :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2489
Original post by lcsurfer
Its so good i read through all 3 books in no time! after you've read the hunger games read divergent by veronica roth :biggrin:

What about the original... Battle Royale? :smile:
I really want to improve my english and one way is to read loads of books so please can I have reccomendations from you guys with the name of the book and author if possible! I really like mystery and action books but I dont mind more relaxed books as well but I really dont like fantasy like Percy Jackson or Harry Potter (I know, odd) :smile:
Thank you in advance!!!!!!
:smile:
Tamar - Mal Peet (Dutch resistance in WW2)
His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman (parallel world sort of thing- changed my life)
Cry of the Icemark - Stuart Hill
Ghost - Robert Harris

can't think of any more of my favourites !
Divergent is really good :smile:its part of a trilogy and is dytopian :smile:
My fav book at the moment :smile:
There's also the game of thrones seris but i havent read that seires yet but its really popular in the usa :smile:

p.s divergent is by veronica roth x
game of thrones is excellent!
The Turn of the Screw by Henry James. It's a ghost story written from the point of view of a governess. The language may seem a little flowery if you haven't read anything by Henry James before, but it's quite short and an excellent book.
Reply 2495
Technically "young adult" but I'm 18 and love these - don't even care! :tongue:

The Hunger Games Series.
Noughts and Crosses.
Urm, all Harry Potter books.
The Cherub Series.
His Dark Materials.
Leaving Poppy.

Also, I think these are technically adult popular fiction authors, but tbh I've read their books as a teenager and they're also brilliant;
Cecilia Ahern.
Jodi Picoult.

I'm currently wanting to read The Lovely Bones. :rolleyes: Must get round to it soon. x)
(edited 11 years ago)
Way too many to name really, but some of my list:

'The Time Traveler's Wife' - Audrey Niffenegger

'The Book Thief' - Markus Zusak

'To Kill a Mockingbird' - Harper Lee

The Harry Potter series

'Anne of Green Gables' series - L.M. Montgomery (reread them all recently; I'd forgotten how much I loved them)

'The Post-Birthday World'/'We Need to Talk About Kevin'/'So Much for That' - Lionel Shriver

Any novel recommendations for a future English student? :smile: We've been asked to read a book from an author we haven't read works by before.
I finally started/finished reading One Day. I was surprised since I'm not really into romantic kind of novels..addictive, left me feeling slightly depressed though =_=
Original post by popdrops
I finally started/finished reading One Day. I was surprised since I'm not really into romantic kind of novels..addictive, left me feeling slightly depressed though =_=

One of my all time favourite books, this was also the first romance/ comedy i had ever read, the characters are just brilliant B-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending