The Student Room Group

Suggest me a good book to read

Scroll to see replies

Life of Pi by Yann Martel. Amazing book about survival and adventure, funny and sad too in parts, it's been my favourite book for years now and I've re-read it countless times! If you can, get the illustrated version, it's more expensive but really worth it.

:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
A Song of Ice and Fire :biggrin: It's already been recommended but if its recommended a lot you might check it out :biggrin: It's highly addictive.
Reply 2562
Try the "13" series. It has 3books in it: the 13 treasures, the 13 curses and tthe 13 secrets. I've only read the first 2 but they were amazing. Also, try "Troubletwisters", it is a great fantasy book like the "13"s
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2563
Original post by charleymcquillen
The Hunger Games.
They're amazing, and I think anyone who reads them, likes them. :smile:

apart from all these people, (just saying).
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=i+hate+hunger+games&aq=0&oq=i+hate+hunger+g&sugexp=chrome,mod=0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
I'll third the Life of Pi suggestion - is that book doesn't make you think, nothing will.

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell is a recent favourite of mine - a little tricky to get going, but once you get into it it's completely unputdownable (shut up, it's totally a word).

Someone earlier mentioned the Iliad - I'll agree it's brilliant, but if you're interested in classics I'd suggest going for the Odyssey instead. Sure, it's the sequel (maybe, sort of) but it's a little more approachable in its style and less likely to make you groan in sheer exasperation at the ancient idioms. I recommend the E.V. Rieu prose translation -some people insist that not keeping it poetic is a crime, but in reality, verse translations tend to come across as either forcing the rhyme and rhythm, or deviate from the original just to make it fit.

The Aeneid might be worth checking out too, but to get the most out of it, you should probably read the Iliad and Odyssey too. Not for the story, but more because you'll notice little connections which make it far more fulfilling.

And one of my personal favourites, (also a fantasy so there's that in its favour too) is The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly. Creepy twisted fairy tales, coming of age metaphors and a tendency to drop some genuinely terrifying **** on you out of absolutely ****ing nowhere.

That should be enough to get you started :smile:
Original post by Arva
The Day of The Jackal - Frederick Forsyth
American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis
The Belgariad - David Eddings
We, The Drowned - Carsten Jensen (my all time favourite book, an absolutely beautiful seafaring epic).

I've got the entire series on my bookshelf! The Mallorean is also a great continuation.
Starter for Ten. Every prospective male university student should read it because half of that stuff will happen to you.
Original post by wowwyp
Hi! Please help with ideas for good books to read because I've run out. Any genre, author or subject welcome. thanks!

In fantasy I'd suggest Katharine Kerr's books (I especially took to her Deverry series). I can also recommend a standalone sci-fi novel by her, titled Snare.

The science fiction series Dragonriders of Pern, started by Anne McCaffrey, offers perhaps easier reading.

Neal Stephenson's books can be pretty heavy going, but I generally find them highly enjoyable all the same.

If you don't mind wading through what struck me as a fairly "clunky" writing style and predictable plot (though admittedly this seems to improve quite dramatically as the series progresses), you might want to try George Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series (again fantasy).

For humour, authors Tom Holt and Terry Pratchett are my favourites, both of which have deeper, frequently more serious elements if you care to look. I don't know whether either of their styles would suit your sense of humour, though.

I like Christopher Paolini's Inheritance cycle, mostly for the attention to detail and the slightly atypical science-like approach to magic: it gives the impression that the author has really put that bit of extra effort so as to avoid the typical "then magic happened and suddenly..." scenario that so many works of fantasy fall prey to.

Apart from that, after reading fantasy author Kate Elliott's Crossroads trilogy and moving onto her (currently in progress) Spiritwalker series, I've started reading her Crown of Stars septology. It's fairly focused on religion, but so far, despite what I might call my "typically TSR" outlook on religion (i.e: "oh, not THIS again") is proving to be a really riveting, recommendable read.

Sorry, this list turned out longer than I'd expected. :redface:
The book thief + Anna Karenina... mmm :smile:
I like to read but dunno many good authors or titles. If you've read anything interesting recently, please share.
Thanks. :smile:
what kind of things do you like to read? fiction/non fiction? what genres?
Fiction. ANd these days I'm into romcoms. I wouldn't mind reading anything else.
I have just finished reading an absolutely FANTASTIC book called The Misfit by Rosie Goodwin. It was the best book I'd read in a long time.
I'm reading The Dice Man at the moment, not especially romcom. But funny/strange/good :smile:
John Green. I don't know how old you are, it's YA Literature but it's brilliant. The Fault in our Stars, Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns... Anything he's written has always been brilliant. My favourite author.
Jodi Picoult is good, she's my favourite author and i would say any of her books are worth reading!
Thanks for the suggestions and if possible can you mention the genre of the books?
Original post by clementine_
John Green. I don't know how old you are, it's YA Literature but it's brilliant. The Fault in our Stars, Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns... Anything he's written has always been brilliant. My favourite author.

I second that :smile:
Reply 2578
As hannahflossie said jodi picoult is amazing! Try my sister's keeper, not a romcom but is amazing!! You could also try the lovely bones and also noughts and crosses are books I would recommend!
Original post by lucy3003
You could also try the lovely bones and also noughts and crosses are books I would recommend!

Agreed, the Malorie Blackman noughts and crosses books are good!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending